MLBTRADERUMORS- Non-Tender Candidates

weams

I am not interested in signing Miller at the price he will command.

I was however very impressed with how he performed with the Orioles and I greatly enjoyed watching him pitch.

I dunno. I usually side with the idea that you can build a pen without outlaying tons of cash. It would depend on just how high the price is in my opinion

Miller is impressive and nothing about him screams that he will not continue to be for several years to come. There is a great value to knowing if you enter the 8th inning of game with a lead, your gonna win it on a consistent basis. I am not sure Hunter/Britton gives me that same sense of security. Not sure that anyone we have/Britton does either.

We saw in the regular season and playoffs how much a lock down pen or lack of one can help or hurt you. Miller adds some security to the closer role if Britton were to be injured. Hunter does not, there is no other guy in the pen who remotely resembles a functional closer IMO. Course that said, I would not have guessed that Britton would though in fairness.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno. I usually side with the idea that you can build a pen without outlaying tons of cash. It would depend on just how high the price is in my opinion

Miller is impressive and nothing about him screams that he will not continue to be for several years to come. There is a great value to knowing if you enter the 8th inning of game with a lead, your gonna win it on a consistent basis. I am not sure Hunter/Britton gives me that same sense of security. Not sure that anyone we have/Britton does either.

We saw in the regular season and playoffs how much a lock down pen or lack of one can help or hurt you. Miller adds some security to the closer role if Britton were to be injured. Hunter does not, there is no other guy in the pen who remotely resembles a functional closer IMO. Course that said, I would not have guessed that Britton would though in fairness.

I believe Mike Wright could step in as closer. I believe that Darren O'Day could until September. I believe that Miguel Gonzalez could do the job.

I believe Mike Wright could step in as closer. I believe that Darren O'Day could until September. I believe that Miguel Gonzalez could do the job.

Wright is a guy who crossed my mind. Of the names you mentioned he is the one guy who strikes me as having that potential. That's a mighty big gamble though.

O'Day I love but I don't see him or his game as a closer. I love him in the 7th and sometimes 8th innings. Tend to think the O's feel the same or he would have been given the job before. Think he will bounce back and believe he would benefit from seeing less work next season not for ability reasons but just to limit the wear on his arm.

Gonzalez I like but as a closer? Again a bit of crapshoot there. Perhaps he could pull it off but he is not overpowering or makes guys miss the bat on a consistent basis. Britton does not do that either but he also keeps the ball on the ground which offsets some of his lack of k's IMO. Combine that will losing the value he brings as a starter and I do not see that as a win.

KG could clearly do it IMO but his potential value as a starter is far to high

Millers not coming back but I guess from my perspective you could make the case that if some of the other places you were going to spend your money do not pan out, you could do far worse then spend some on him.

I'm not declaring that he will be non-tendered, just that I think he qualifies as a candidate.

I don't there should be any dispute on this. As it stands now, Hunter is likely to make more money than any other pitcher in the bullpen. As much as I liked the changes that he made the last 4 months last year, that is a guy that could very easily end up pitching somewhere else next year, whether they trade him, or consider non-tendering him.

• 3 weeks later...

Gordon Beckham - 2B - Angels

MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez reports that the Angels are expected to non-tender Gordon Beckham.

MLBTradeRumors.com projected Beckham to earn $5 million in his final year of arbitration, and the Angels aren't willing to bring him back at that rate. Gonzalez does say that they'd like to re-sign Beckham to a lesser contract, but the 28-year-old might be able to find a better opportunity elsewhere. Beckham hit only .226/.271/.348 with nine homers over 127 games for the White Sox and Angels in 2014.

A late-August trade to Baltimore and a well timed hot streak might have earned De Aza another season in the arbitration system, however. He hit .293/.341/.537 in 89 plate appearances with the Orioles, bringing hit 2014 total to a more respectable .252/.314/.386, then kept hitting in the postseason. De Aza is also a slightly above average defender in an outfield corner and can play center field, so he has defensive value to fall back on. MLBTR projects he’ll make $5.9MM through the arbitration process this offseason, and for the right team, he’s probably worth it.

The only question is whether the Orioles are the right team. The O’s are trying to re-sign a fellow left-handed outfielder in Nick Markakis, as well as DH/OF Nelson Cruz. They’ve also reportedly discussed Matt Kemp with the Dodgers, and they’re in on Torii Hunter and Melky Cabrera. How much worse De Aza is than someone like Markakis or Hunter could actually be debated, but any combination of Markakis, Cruz, Kemp, Hunter and Cabrera would make De Aza less useful to the Orioles.

On top of that, Baltimore faces a crunch of arbitration-eligible players, many of whom either are coming off very good seasons or have high salaries already. The Orioles’ 11 arbitration-eligibles (De Aza, Matt Wieters, Steve Pearce, Bud Norris, Tommy Hunter, Chris Davis, Brian Matusz, Chris Tillman, Miguel Gonzalez, Ryan Flaherty and Zach Britton) are projected to make a combined $56.9MM, and the Orioles could decide De Aza is a luxury they can do without, particularly if they splurge on, say, Markakis and Cruz, or at least feel it’s likely they’ll re-sign. They already have a lefty backup outfielder in David Lough who had a similar season to De Aza with the bat and will make near the league minimum in 2015, so heading into the season with De Aza on their roster only makes sense for the Orioles if they have a starting spot available for him.

The good news for De Aza (assuming he wants to be tendered — he might actually get slightly more than one year and $5.9MM on the open market) is that there’s little time before Tuesday night’s tender deadline for the Orioles to settle their outfield picture. If the O’s do strike out on Markakis, Cruz, Kemp or anyone else they might pursue, De Aza should have significant value for them. If they do tender him and then acquire more players who might make him superfluous, they would probably still be able to trade him, even though they wouldn’t be likely to get much back. The best guess here, then, is that the Orioles tender De Aza, and that’s reportedly the direction they’re leaning anyway. The Praver/Shapiro client probably ought to plan on heading into the season with Baltimore.

Mlbtr update

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Padres Non-Tender Everth*Cabrera <a href="http://t.co/hbkaaGx7Va">http://t.co/hbkaaGx7Va</a></p>— MLB Trade Rumors (@mlbtraderumors) <a href="
">December 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WOW guy was a all-star in 2013

So were Chris Davis and Grant Balfour. And Marco Scutaro.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Padres Non-Tender Everth*Cabrera <a href="http://t.co/hbkaaGx7Va">http://t.co/hbkaaGx7Va</a></p>— MLB Trade Rumors (@mlbtraderumors) <a href="

WOW guy was a all-star in 2013

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Everth has the PED suspension, the domestic violence arrest AND the DUI. If he gets, um, mopery or regicide, that's the whole set.</p>— Craig Calcaterra (@craigcalcaterra) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Everth has the PED suspension, the domestic violence arrest AND the DUI. If he gets, um, mopery or regicide, that's the whole set.</p>— Craig Calcaterra (@craigcalcaterra) <a href="

But he can steal bases.

Cabrera is the guy I would be doing some research on. Can he be rehabbed and if so is there a spot you can fit him in at. A lot of talent there.

Yea he picked a real bad time to have a terrible season.

.232/.272/.300 last year in 90 games. He's also never played more than 115 games in a season, which seems kinda concerning. I can't see the O's going for anything here.

Archived