Rule Five Draft Targets

weams

Is that a lot of teams? I just don't see anyone that could stick being available.

It varies from year to year. Last year, only 9 teams made picks in the Rule 5 draft (the Orioles were last). The year before, it was 15. We won't really know until the day of the draft, because some teams could fill out or clear spaces on their 40-man roster before then.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Draft is on December 11th. We would draft 28th. With all the speculation about offseason moves, the Rule 5 draft is one thing we know the O's will be picking up a player in.

We would only draft 28th if every team had open spots on their 40-man roster, which almost surely won't be the case.

It seems to me that the fact that we are active in the Rule 5 draft is an indication that our own farm system is not very good, i.e., we'd rather leave a couple of our own guys unprotected to have a shot at picking someone who another organization left unprotected. And when you are picking at the back of the Rule 5 draft, it is an even stronger statement.

Just to give some sense of this, in 2013 only 9 teams bothered to make a Rule 5 pick (4 of them stuck), in 2012 15 were picked (7 stuck), in 2011 12 were picked (9 stuck).

It seems to me that the fact that we are active in the Rule 5 draft is an indication that our own farm system is not very good, i.e., we'd rather leave a couple of our own guys unprotected to have a shot at picking someone who another organization left unprotected. And when you are picking at the back of the Rule 5 draft, it is an even stronger statement.

Just to give some sense of this, in 2013 only 9 teams bothered to make a Rule 5 pick (4 of them stuck), in 2012 15 were picked (7 stuck), in 2011 12 were picked (9 stuck).

Well, we know the O's system has been very top-heavy over the last few years, and looks to be pretty barren at this point.

I really think that the number of picks will depend on the talent available. I don't think teams would hesitate on picking a player they felt could help them. There just isn't a great deal of talent available in the Rule V.

As long as we have to trade off prospects like ERod and Hader before they are on the 40-man roster in order to contend, this may remain the case.

As long as we have to trade off prospects like ERod and Hader before they are on the 40-man roster in order to contend, this may remain the case.

I'd much rather sacrifice middling prospects for MLB success than move up from 16th to 14th in BA's minor league system rankings while rolling with holes on the MLB roster.

I'd much rather sacrifice middling prospects for MLB success than move up from 16th to 14th in BA's minor league system rankings while rolling with holes on the MLB roster.

So would I. Just pointing out one of the reasons the cupboard doesn't have as much near-ready talent as it might.

I'm pretty worried that Eduardo Rodriguez is going to turn out to be a lot more than just a middling prospect. IF he turns out well, the prospect of him joining the Red Sox rotation in a year or so and then facing us 3-5 times a year for six or seven years really bugs me.

Archived