Rule Five Draft Targets

weams

I'm pretty worried that Eduardo Rodriguez is going to turn out to be a lot more than just a middling prospect. IF he turns out well, the prospect of him joining the Red Sox rotation in a year or so and then facing us 3-5 times a year for six or seven years really bugs me.

If your risk threshold is so low that you never have a trade bite you then you're leaving wins on the table. It's like having a fast guy who goes 13-0 in stolen base attempts over a year; he would be better off going 40-6. Yes, it will suck if Rodriguez turns out well.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems to me that the fact that we are active in the Rule 5 draft is an indication that our own farm system is not very good, i.e., we'd rather leave a couple of our own guys unprotected to have a shot at picking someone who another organization left unprotected. And when you are picking at the back of the Rule 5 draft, it is an even stronger statement.

Just to give some sense of this, in 2013 only 9 teams bothered to make a Rule 5 pick (4 of them stuck), in 2012 15 were picked (7 stuck), in 2011 12 were picked (9 stuck).

And DD has drafted 3 and kept 3 the last 3 years. Even though we had to trade for Almanzar back. But like people have said previously, it all depends on who has 40 man room at the time of the draft.

I'm pretty worried that Eduardo Rodriguez is going to turn out to be a lot more than just a middling prospect. IF he turns out well, the prospect of him joining the Red Sox rotation in a year or so and then facing us 3-5 times a year for six or seven years really bugs me.

Miller was a beast, so hard to get upset, but at the time, I thought the price was too high. I was shocked we couldn't get anything else in addition (even a B or C prospect) to balance things out.

Miller was a beast, so hard to get upset, but at the time, I thought the price was too high. I was shocked we couldn't get anything else in addition (even a B or C prospect) to balance things out.

Miller was a Tiger. Dan decided otherwise. There was no negotiation.

Deshields and Pena would both be great if we could afford to stash either for the whole year. Deshields isn't ready to contribute with the bat but he'd be a glorified PR. Doubtful the O's take him. Pena also isn't ready with the bat but he looks like an elite defender at catcher, at least in terms of his arm. He threw out 57% of runners last year in 92 attempted steals. The bat seems to be coming around a little too but he hasn't played a game in AA yet. The old O's would have been wise to take one or the other. The new O's probably can't afford to. Be a smart move for a second division team to take a chance on these two.

The Astros would trade them for someone they could stash for two years. Heck a team could draft and trade either one of those players.

If you draft them and trade them, the other team has to keep them in the majors all year too. Same rules apply to whatever team winds up with them. If the Astros trade them now, the other team must put them on their 40 man because they would still be subject to the Rule 5 draft. It might make sense for the O's to trade something for them. Both those guys look better on the 40 man than Lombo and Clevenger, just to name two.

I agree completely. Putting someone on the 40 man roster now does not save them of course.

If you draft them and trade them, the other team has to keep them in the majors all year too. Same rules apply to whatever team winds up with them. If the Astros trade them now, the other team must put them on their 40 man because they would still be subject to the Rule 5 draft. It might make sense for the O's to trade something for them. Both those guys look better on the 40 man than Lombo and Clevenger, just to name two.

Isn't it too late to add to the 40-man? Thought that deadline passed a few days ago.

Good point. So if a team trade for Deshields or Cruz now, they would still be subject to another team taking them in the Rule5. It wouldn't make too much sense.

But if we draft them, or have someone draft them and trade to us, we could still trade the Astros because they need controllable assets. Not on a 40 man roster.

Miller was a Tiger. Dan decided otherwise. There was no negotiation.
I agree. Winning a playoff series was worth it to me. That's all that matters.
Me too. Me too.

I guess I just see the world a little differently. To me, if Eduardo Rodriguez turns into a good major league starting pitcher, then this trade was a disaster. Two months of a good reliever does not equal six years of a good starter.

I guess I just see the world a little differently. To me, if Eduardo Rodriguez turns into a good major league starting pitcher, then this trade was a disaster. Two months of a good reliever does not equal six years of a good starter.

A shot at getting to the world series? I'll take it every time. I'll trade Davies this year if it's the same option. I watched Eduardo a lot. Maybe Boston did something to him.

So you like the Tigers approach. Don't offer enough for Miller. He going elsewhere and the Tigers get beat is the Division Series. The O's could have taken that approach. But either you are going for it or you are not.

The Astros would trade them for someone they could stash for two years. Heck a team could draft and trade either one of those players.

I think that a rule 5 draft-and-trade is not a foolproof plan, as I am pretty sure that the rule 5 draftee must clear waivers before the trade can happen. He is technically offered back to the original team and then traded for. To be offered back, he must clear waivers, as any other team can claim him and place him on their 25-man roster under the rule 5 conditions.

Archived