Marlins have contacted the Orioles about trading for Chris Davis

AlbionHero

Forget Altuve... believe it or not, the Astros are improving and have Springer and Singleton set to be a force in the middle of the order. Their pitching isn't that far off either. Altuve is their cornerstone - no way are they going to trade him, especially at just $3 M a season.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's so much stupid with this post I don't know where to start; I'll ignore it and expand... CD didn't even figure into my plans for next year. I figured you have Pearce play first. Altuve is going into the 2nd year of a 4yr/$12M deal that has 2 options after that. You can get a 24y.o. emerging stud leadoff hitter which this team desperately needs for cheap. He has a skillset we need that Schoop will never offer. And I'm not sure how you think this move precludes us from signing Cruz or Nick either (who quite frankly, we can get a comparable player like Melky instead of anyway). Genius.

Schoop is a better fit for our park. He's a better defender, he has more power. Altuve is worth nothing to us if we have no middle of the lineup to hit him in. Schoop had his difficulties in his rookie year but what we got last year isn't what we can expect in the future. How many teams would like a prospect that plays great 2b D, can hit 25 hrs and is cheap for years to come?

Further, trading Davis BEFORE signing Nick and/or Cruz is reckless. You are taking a 96 win team and playing rotisserie baseball with it. No way we need to take that kind of risk.

Reading the scouting report on Heaney took me back to 2008... I feel like a lot in there was practically copy and pasted directly from Brian Matusz's scouting report. Not saying that he will end up being no better than Matusz, but their reports are eerily similar and it reminded me that prospects are just that...prospects. If we trade CD for Heaney, I wonder how close Heaney + Schoop could come to landing Altuve. :scratchchinhmm:

Not close at all actually. Where have you read that Altuve is available? I want to remind you, Chris Davis had an awesome year just two seasons ago. Altuve was good last year. He does not defend. He is the leagues worst defensive regular second baseman. That matters too. You think those Orioles eras were as low as they where because of strikeouts?

Not close at all actually. Where have you read that Altuve is available? I want to remind you, Chris Davis had an awesome year just two seasons ago. Altuve was good last year. He does not defend. He is the leagues worst defensive regular second baseman. That matters too. You think those Orioles eras were as low as they where because of strikeouts?

Hardy and Schoop were both among the league leaders in DP efficiency.

There's so much stupid with this post I don't know where to start; I'll ignore it and expand... CD didn't even figure into my plans for next year. I figured you have Pearce play first. Altuve is going into the 2nd year of a 4yr/$12M deal that has 2 options after that. You can get a 24y.o. emerging stud leadoff hitter which this team desperately needs for cheap. He has a skillset we need that Schoop will never offer. And I'm not sure how you think this move precludes us from signing Cruz or Nick either (who quite frankly, we can get a comparable player like Melky instead of anyway). Genius.

I find a certain irony in the fact you insult the intelligence of other posters all while assuming that the Astros are just going to trade away one of their cornerstones who is cost controlled....seriously? If your gonna pry the crown jewel of the Astros from them you will have to put forth a deal that will by its nature make it not worth doing IMO.

Then to top it off you advocate for signing Melky....sigh. Yea but we are the idiots.

Ding Ding Ding. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Spot on Weams. Altuve is a poor defender. Sure Altuve can leadoff, he also creates a domino effect of issues IMO. This team is built to maximize their pitching talent through the utilization of superior fielding. What impact would an Altuve vrs Schoop at 2B have on our starters? How about on our closer? Even if Altuve was available, right now Schoop is a better fit for what the O's are trying to do. That does not mean he is a better hitter, better player etc...just a better fit.

I'm not advocating trading for Altuve but is he really that bad defensively? Worst in the league? Poor defender? Maybe someone who can read the metrics better can chime in. I'm looking at his Total Zone Total Fielding Runs Above Average (rtot) over the last 3 years. It says this number measures total defensive contribution. For the last 3 years it's -11, -4, 2. First of all, that shows improvement. Second of all the, the 2014 numbers shows he's about average. Am I putting too much into this stat or interpreting it wrong?

Total Zone is a second tier defensive stat these days. DRS has him at a -6 rate and UZR has him at a -9.5 rate for his career. UZR has shown him to have 2 poor years (including last year) sandwiched between one slightly below average year (2013). DRS is only a bit more favorable. Neither shows an sort of positive trend in only 3 full years of data. Maybe not horrible and/or the "worst" in the league, but all signs indicate below average to well below average.

Ding Ding Ding. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Spot on Weams. Altuve is a poor defender. Sure Altuve can leadoff, he also creates a domino effect of issues IMO. This team is built to maximize their pitching talent through the utilization of superior fielding. What impact would an Altuve vrs Schoop at 2B have on our starters? How about on our closer? Even if Altuve was available, right now Schoop is a better fit for what the O's are trying to do. That does not mean he is a better hitter, better player etc...just a better fit.

He really is the worst. As we often have to remind folks, these are not video games or fantasy teams. Being 5' 5" counts on defense too. And caught stealings are a negative. We always have to remember that.

Pretty sure its the same Altuve debate.

Yeah, exact same one.

There has been ZERO talk of the Astros trading Altuve. Anywhere. Not since 2013, before he signed his extension. They have no reason to trade him. This seems to be the only place in the known universe where it's seen as a possibility.

So how about that Heaney kid?

Archived