Are you worried about the Red Sox?

Valhalla

This was his previous effort in starting a thread to "elicit discussion":

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/145013-Buck-s-reputation-that-he-can-t-win-the-big-games

Valhalla may be going the way of oriolefanstan, who actually managed to accumulate 3 red pips before he was finally given the permanent boot.

That really, really takes talent.

My understanding is that if you get to four red pips, it tears a hole in the fabric of spacetime and we all die in the apocalyptic dark swirling vortex of a black hole. So clearly that had to be dealt with. [emoji12]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That really, really takes talent.

My understanding is that if you get to four red pips, it tears a hole in the fabric of spacetime and we all die in the apocalyptic dark swirling vortex of a black hole. So clearly that had to be dealt with. [emoji12]

And I am here on earth for the sole purpose of never allowing that to occur.

I know that people only want to see puppies and sunshine here, but the Red Sox are spending hundreds of millions to sign talent like Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, David Ortiz, Clay Buchholz. The O's are not putting any extra money in to compete.

It is a lovely thought that we don't need any extra talent, or free agents, but it is unrealistic. While the Red Sox are building a team stacked to win another WS, the O's are letting Cruz and Miller slip away. If you take away Cruz from 2014 we wouldn't even make wild card.

Nice. I remember in 2011 we had the same conversation. The Red Sox spent a ton of money on four players and didn't make the playoffs.

And in 2012, who did we sign? Wilson Betemit, Tsuyoshi Wada, Jason Hammel, Matt Lindstrom, Endy Chavez, Luis Ayala, Ryan Flaherty, Matt Antonelli, Taylor Teagarden, and Jai Miller. I believe we went to the playoffs that year?

Stop being so dramatic about everything.

Nice. I remember in 2011 we had the same conversation. The Red Sox spent a ton of money on four players and didn't make the playoffs.

And in 2012, who did we sign? Wilson Betemit, Tsuyoshi Wada, Jason Hammel, Matt Lindstrom, Endy Chavez, Luis Ayala, Ryan Flaherty, Matt Antonelli, Taylor Teagarden, and Jai Miller. I believe we went to the playoffs that year?

Stop being so dramatic about everything.

He's not being dramatic.

I think that Weams may be correct in his suspicion that he's not an Oriole fan (which is not a problem ...... unless you are masquerading as an Oriole fan, and posting in a provocative manner just to fan the flames.)

This is a list of all the threads that he has started since he came here, and almost all of them have one intent:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1046208

Here are a few samples:

"Buck's Reputation, that He can't Win the Big Games" His assertion that Buck Showalter chokes when it comes to managing his teams in the postseason.

"The Jeter Walk-off Could Have Unintended Consequences" His theory that the Orioles could fall apart because of the regular season loss to the Yankees in Derek Jeter's final home game.

"Machado is not Going to Be Happy" He asserts that the entire team threw Machado under the bus (they didn't.)

"Wish I Got Playoff Tickets Last Year" He asserted that the 2012 playoff appearance was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for Oriole fans (the Orioles made the playoffs the following season after this thread.)

"Hammel on Track to Win 21 Games" Facetious. He also takes shots at Oriole fans that were hoping that Chris Davis would hit 50 home runs (he wound up hitting 53), and Manny Machado setting a doubles record (Machado in fact wound up leading the league in doubles, with 51.)

When the Red Sox get a few pitchers who can....well you know ...pitch. Then I will worry about them.

I gotta say I am not entirely sure I get the plan. Its far to early to pass judgement on a lot of their young talent, especially the hitters.

I tend to think that 200 million would have been better spent signing say Lester, Shields and Miller or a middle of the road bat.

Even if they sign Lester then I would argue they should have signed more arms

Not a big Ken Rosenthal fan. Especially the one who claims to be "passionate, nuanced, authentic" while wearing a bow tie (!).

That being said, it wasn't a bad column. Every time I read something like this, my appreciation of Dan Duquette increases.

Not worried about them. But see that's the thing. All it takes is for Hamels to be lights out for 1 year and lead them to a WS and then they can just spend themselves out of the bad contracts. We've all been waiting for the Yankees bad contracts to catch up with them but they've had 22 straight winning seasons. Then the big money teams can make the big move at the deadline to add to their team. In any other division we would be set up to be division favorites for the next 3-5 years. But in the AL East a team can just spend a half billion in an offseason and go from worst to first.
Hamels can go 30-2 and that by itself wouldn't do much with the likes of Kelly, Workman, and Bucholtz, pitching behind him in the rotation. BOS needs to sigh 2 of Shields, Lester, and Scherzer, plus trade for Hamels.

Hamels can go 30-2 and that by itself wouldn't do much with the likes of Kelly, Workman, and Bucholtz, pitching behind him in the rotation. BOS needs to sigh 2 of Shields, Lester, and Scherzer, plus trade for Hamels.

They don't need to add three pitchers of that caliber. Not unless it takes 98 wins to get a WC next season.

He's not being dramatic.

"Buck's Reputation, that He can't Win the Big Games" His assertion that Buck Showalter chokes when it comes to managing his teams in the postseason.

Is it not a correct reputation? He has literally choked in every playoff series except vs Detroit

"The Jeter Walk-off Could Have Unintended Consequences" His theory that the Orioles could fall apart because of the regular season loss to the Yankees in Derek Jeter's final home game.

And it pretty much did. We completely choked against KC. You can't blame the Jeter thing but our guys had zero mental fortitude by that point

"Machado is not Going to Be Happy" He asserts that the entire team threw Machado under the bus (they didn't.)

"Wish I Got Playoff Tickets Last Year" He asserted that the 2012 playoff appearance was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for Oriole fans (the Orioles made the playoffs the following season after this thread.)

"Hammel on Track to Win 21 Games" Facetious. He also takes shots at Oriole fans that were hoping that Chris Davis would hit 50 home runs (he wound up hitting 53), and Manny Machado setting a doubles record (Machado in fact wound up leading the league in doubles, with 51.)

These are just nitpicking, saying random comments in game threads in the heat of the moment doesn't count.

It seems you guys do not like someone who thinks outside the box. When Roy Firestone does it, it's okay, but when others do it, it is a big thing. That is fine. I won't post topics anymore but you should think about being more welcoming to outside the box opinions. In a vacuum of blind optimism, nothing is ever accomplished.

It seems you guys do not like someone who thinks outside the box. When Roy Firestone does it, it's okay, but when others do it, it is a big thing. That is fine. I won't post topics anymore but you should think about being more welcoming to outside the box opinions. In a vacuum of blind optimism, nothing is ever accomplished.

I hate it when folks try and play the martyr.

Roy gets plenty of grief for his more out there threads.

And to call this place a vacuum of blind optimism is ridiculous.

This is the key word here.

Archived