How About Giving Dan Some Time Before Questioning His Offseason Plan?

TonySoprano

Jimenez was signed Feb 19th and Cruz followed on Feb 24th. We're a little over a month into this offseason and the Winter Meetings aren't until next week. Have some forgotten Dan just won Executive of the Year? Some would be best served to unwind a bit and get back to us when it's February but until then hang on for the ride.

Otherwise, feel free to ask Dan in person this week

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jimenez was signed Feb 19th and Cruz followed on Feb 24th. We're a little over a month into this offseason and the Winter Meetings aren't until next week. Have some forgotten Dan just won Executive of the Year? Some would be best served to unwind a bit and get back to us when it's February but until then hang on for the ride.

I agree. I voted earlier that I would have signed Cruz to the contract, but I understand why DD did not. The main caveat is what happens from now until opening day? A lot can happen.

There's plenty of time for DD to salvage the offseason. But he got incredibly lucky on Nelson Cruz. You can't count on being able to sign a 40 HR hitter to a one-year bargain-basement contract at the last minute every year. I'd rather Dan make some solid moves than try to pull another rabbit out of his hat at the last minute.

There's plenty of time for DD to salvage the offseason. But he got incredibly lucky on Nelson Cruz. You can't count on being able to sign a 40 HR hitter to a one-year bargain-basement contract at the last minute every year. I'd rather Dan make some solid moves than try to pull another rabbit out of his hat at the last minute.

Plus last year we didn't have two big pieces out there dangling...each offseason is unique...like a snowflake:)

Plus Ubaldo shouldn't be used as a highlight for what went right last offseason:) lost me there....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruz was a relatively low risk signing that ended up being an extremely high reward. The Mariners are going the opposite route with a pretty high risk and a low chance of a reward. He played 159 games last year, which he did one other time in his career. He only has one other season in his career with 125+ games. Heck, before last season, not only had Cruz never hit 40 home runs, he only went over 30 home runs one other season (he hit 33 in 2009). Signing Cruz to a big money contract is just throwing money down the toilet IMO. And DD was absolutely right in not taking the bait.

I'd like him to re-sign Markakis... but only to a reasonable 3 year deal. I could live with the right 4 year deal. 5 years like it's rumored the Yankees are looking at is just plain tomfoolery.

DD knows the market. He's one of the best in the business. I'll wait until March/April to judge the offseason. This time last year things looked bad. By the begining of February last offseason things looked looked like a disaster. Suddenly, things turned around. DD has a plan, and I have faith in that.

I agree. I voted earlier that I would have signed Cruz to the contract, but I understand why DD did not. The main caveat is what happens from now until opening day? A lot can happen.

Very true. And IF we get Weiters & Manny back and playing up to their capabilities that fills some of the void. IF Chris Davis rebounds some it will fill some more of the void as well. I would like to have seen Cruz back, but it didnt happen so we move on.

Cruz was a relatively low risk signing that ended up being an extremely high reward. The Mariners are going the opposite route with a pretty high risk and a low chance of a reward. He played 159 games last year, which he did one other time in his career. He only has one other season in his career with 125+ games. Heck, before last season, not only had Cruz never hit 40 home runs, he only went over 30 home runs one other season (he hit 33 in 2009). Signing Cruz to a big money contract is just throwing money down the toilet IMO. And DD was absolutely right in not taking the bait.

I'd like him to re-sign Markakis... but only to a reasonable 3 year deal. I could live with the right 4 year deal. 5 years like it's rumored the Yankees are looking at is just plain tomfoolery.

DD knows the market. He's one of the best in the business. I'll wait until March/April to judge the offseason. This time last year things looked bad. By the begining of February last offseason things looked looked like a disaster. Suddenly, things turned around. DD has a plan, and I have faith in that.

I had no idea the Yanks were in on Markakis.

He would actually benefit from that stadium, which would make him look more powerful than he really is.

I think we will see more of what we saw last year with Dan letting other teams spending their resources before he comes in and picks up some bargains. What is interesting this year is I think you could see a number of half way decent pitchers end up looking at one year deals, which could afford Dan the opportunity to makes some depth moves.

Because "there's nothing else to talk about" during the offseason and "everyone else is improving why aren't the O's at this exact moment?!" Perspective, common sense, and even past statements go out the window during the offseason. Some of the same people who either didn't want Cruz to begin with or we're okay with the idea of letting him walk and taking the draft pick are now complaining the Orioles didn't spend to keep him. They're also willing to slam JJ Hardy and Nick Markakis in the process when those guys have done far more for the Orioles over time than Cruz did and those two have no bearing on Nelson Cruz coming back. The offseason, far and away, is the worst time to be a fan and to watch other fans, because there's always those who act like they never were a fan in the first place.

RF at Camden Yards isn't exactly a vast wasteland. Markakis has got very good career numbers at Yankee stadium so maybe it does help him a little.

Question: With Ellsbury in CF and Gardner in LF, with Rodriguez probably getting a lot of DH AB's and Carlos Beltran still on the roster, is Markakis a fit for the Yankees. At the very least, that's 3 LH hitting outfielders. It also makes Beltran a DH and makes you put ARod in the field everyday.

And then would they go after Headley. I really think they are going to press to get Rodriguez suspended again. They don't have a case to do that, but then again, I didn't think MLB had a case to suspend him all last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really appreciate the long tenured residents of this board as they keep the sanity. Typically, I spend most of my offseason here, and I only jump on occasionally during the season. I have a text message thread with my buddies that are die-hard O's fans. During the season, we text each other about the O's from 6 AM (when I awake each day) to 1 AM (sometimes when I go to sleep). Hence, I get my Orioles fix. All but one is a huge football fan, so I tell them to take the conversation elsewhere in the offseason.

I figured that this offseason, given the amount of success that the O's have tasted over the past three years, there wouldn't be pitchforks and torches. Granted, it is probably 50/50, but golly the impatience of some members of this board is annoying. I understand that there isn't much else to do but play armchair GM, but the negative pundits need to give it a rest. We all want things to make sense in our mind immediately, but that isn't life nor sport. This is a very good team, and I fully expect the internal options to replace a decent amount of the lost production.

I think some people need to find a second hobby (perhaps knitting or an alternate peaceful activity).

I am disappointed that we lost out on Cruz but get why they did not match or surpass the offer. I am far from the "sky is falling" mentality though.

DD has shown the ability to creatively construct a competitive team. Its just way way to early to be anything other than curious as to what DD is up to IMO. I got a feeling there is something brewing in that delicious noggin of his, just wish I knew what it was.

Crazy talk! I'm getting my firewood and pitchforks ready.. Oh wait, It's Decemeber 2nd.. nevermind.. lol

Archived