How About Giving Dan Some Time Before Questioning His Offseason Plan?

TonySoprano

I'm just sick of the cheap 1 year deals. Then you gotta fill the same holes the next year while the arbitration players all get more money. Signing a hitter outside the organization for more then 1 year isn't a bad thing.

No but paying a hitter outside the organization more money than he is worth is not necessarily a good thing. Think Anaheim would like a mulligan on the Pujols and Hamilton deals? How about NY ....take your pick there? There are number of other examples. Right guy at the right price, its really that simple. You may only be focused on winning in only 2015, DD and Buck have to be focused on winning in 2015 and beyond.

I know your smarter than DD. Contrary to your opinion Cruz did not win DD the Exec of the Year awards, DD won it for signing him. Any other GM in baseball could have done the the same but did not. So give the guy some time. I recall you doing the same song and dance last season with a million reason why would suck and well....we know how that worked out. Chill

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No but paying a hitter outside the organization more money than he is worth is not necessarily a good thing. Think Anaheim would like a mulligan on the Pujols and Hamilton deals? How about NY ....take your pick there? There are number of other examples. Right guy at the right price, its really that simple. You may only be focused on winning in only 2015, DD and Buck have to be focused on winning in 2015 and beyond.

I know your smarter than DD. Contrary to your opinion Cruz did not win DD the Exec of the Year awards, DD won it for signing him. Any other GM in baseball could have done the the same but did not. So give the guy some time. I recall you doing the same song and dance last season with a million reason why would suck and well....we know how that worked out. Chill

Next Offseason the Orioles will have to replace Davis , Wieters , Norris , Chen , De Aza , O'day , Webb , Hunter and any holes they don't fix in 2014. Going for it in 2015 isn't a bad thing.

Next Offseason the Orioles will have to replace Davis , Wieters , Norris , Chen , De Aza , O'day , Webb , Hunter and any holes they don't fix in 2014. Going for it in 2015 isn't a bad thing.

But you don't "go for it" for one year and torpedo the future. That's foolish. Over the last few years, most of the big signings that most folks wanted (including myself in some instances) were flops with whoever they ended up signing with. I think the guys in charge deserve our trust at this point.

Those guys represent a ton of payroll, there is no reason to believe they cannot compete and sign whichever ones they feel have value. If not them they will have the flexibility to sign several guys to supplement the ones they lost. Being realistic we essentially had no Matt Wieters, had a version of CD that would not be missed all that much last year and did just fine.

There are only 4 names on that list that really matter (Davis, Wieters, Norris, Chen). The rest are guys who can either be replaced by in house options or by other shrewd signings like several of them were in the first place. The Orioles will spend that money on either those guys or others to supplement the core that remains and will remain competitive IMO

Agree but what fun would it be if everyone agree on everything.

Oh it's fine not to agree, that's what message boards are for. But we just won the AL East and it was for a lot more reasons than just Cruz. We have had more consistent success that we have in a few decades. We can disagree on how to build the team, but there is no reason to be down on the O's on Dec. 2, IMO.

A lot of people were not terribly impressed with the makeup of the team last year, even after the Cruz signing. We lost a few major parts of the ballclub for the majority of the season. And we still won the division. I am a little disappointed that we lost Cruz, but now I am intrigued to see what we do to fill that spot. We have shown the ability to think outside the box, and so far it has worked.

Those guys represent a ton of payroll, there is no reason to believe they cannot compete and sign whichever ones they feel have value. If not them they will have the flexibility to sign several guys to supplement the ones they lost. Being realistic we essentially had no Matt Wieters, had a version of CD that would not be missed all that much last year and did just fine.

There are only 4 names on that list that really matter (Davis, Wieters, Norris, Chen). The rest are guys who can either be replaced by in house options or by other shrewd signings like several of them were in the first place. The Orioles will spend that money on either those guys or others to supplement the core that remains and will remain competitive IMO

Pick and choose who they want? They're not going to spend what it will take to sign them. The Red Sox and Dodgers will be drooling to get Wieters if he proves he's healthy. If Norris and Chen have similar seasons as they did in 2014, the Orioles won't give them the 4-6 years they will be seeking. Davis I don't even think they will try and extend.

Oh it's fine not to agree, that's what message boards are for. But we just won the AL East and it was for a lot more reasons than just Cruz. We have had more consistent success that we have in a few decades. We can disagree on how to build the team, but there is no reason to be down on the O's on Dec. 2, IMO.

A lot of people were not terribly impressed with the makeup of the team last year, even after the Cruz signing. We lost a few major parts of the ballclub for the majority of the season. And we still won the division. I am a little disappointed that we lost Cruz, but now I am intrigued to see what we do to fill that spot. We have shown the ability to think outside the box, and so far it has worked.

If its not broke do not fix it.

The surest path to a championship is not buying players left and right.

Its developing your own pitching and putting a team in on the field that will get in the playoffs year in and year out. In many respects modern day playoff baseball is a crapshoot, the more dice your roll the more likely you are to get the big score you seek. Blowing your load for one opportunity is a sure way to be sitting here in 5yrs with something legitimate to gripe about.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette also said the team's priority is OF help & bullpen depth. Likes where the SP is at and expects Dylan Bundy to compete this spring.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">December 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pick and choose who they want? They're not going to spend what it will take to sign them. The Red Sox and Dodgers will be drooling to get Wieters if he proves he's healthy. If Norris and Chen have similar seasons as they did in 2014, the Orioles won't give them the 4-6 years they will be seeking. Davis I don't even think they will try and extend.

So what? Is giving MW a 6 year/100 million dollar deal or whatever you imagine him getting a smart move? Lets be real, I love MW but the guy was out almost all of last year and we managed to win without him. Hell CD may has well of sat out the year to be honest as well.

Those guys are getting paid significant money now. Its part of the reason that our payroll is already 100 million. That money represents opportunities for DD to do what he has done since he got here and bring in talent that will fit the guys who are left. In the meantime we have Bundy coming, Harvey perhaps by 2017 ish, we are light on positional prospects but will be flush enough with cash to supplement guys like AJ, Machado, JJ, and Schoop who I think will improve a great deal over the next year or two.

The idea that 2015 is our only chance is an absolute farce. I would argue in some respects we will be better positioned in 2016 and beyond of some of the pitching prospects come through.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette also said the team's priority is OF help & bullpen depth. Likes where the SP is at and expects Dylan Bundy to compete this spring.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="
">December 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thats not a guy about to trade Dylan for Kemp thank god :)

Duquette speak for bullpen depth is guys like McCoy and Barnes. That's not a criticism but I think that's what he really means.

Hope so. I don't think they need to spend on the bullpen when they have an extra starter and guys like Wilson, Berry, and Wright who could also work out of the pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived