MLB Network's Hot Stove show takes a shot at Orioles.

Greg

Not shocked at all you'd be a Kapler fan. SABR stats have been brought to the masses way before Kapler. He's a drone.

Not sure how I'm supposed to take this. It feels like I am supposed to be offended. Have we had some feud that I'm unaware of? I have heard/seen very little use of advanced stats on MLBN, either radio or TV. Unless you count Brian Kenny. I do not. I am apparently not the only fan of Kapler, since he was recently hired by the Dodgers in a front office role.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you. What a funny and uncomfortable clip to watch. I felt sorry for Harold because "he's not smart". Whether you like Brian Kenney (?) or not, that was like Muhammad Ali against an amateur flyweight. Is that show still on? I watched it a couple of times but it was just like this clip. Kenney gives you the sabermetric side of an argument but Reynolds is not a worth adversary to even try to give you the other side. That was awful and great at the same time. Look at the look at Reynolds face. It's like he jumped in the deep end of the pool and just remembered he can't swim.

That clip is a must watch. LOL

Well that clip doesn't help my argument. The looks BK were giving him are priceless.

I like my Harold Reynolds on MLB Tonight with Billy Ripken and Greg Amsinger.

I love MLBN. That silly network and the Hangout here are the two baseball ingredients that get me through the winter. And my wife, she does her best to distract me in the months sans the Orioles.

That aside, I like most of the crew on MLBN. The Hot Stove morning show is a little wonky, like bad AM radio from the 1970's, but the rest of the programs are at least tuning in for. Smoltz is very, very good, Wild Thing is wacky yet funny, I like the droll Bill (y) Ripken, and Plesac is fine, as long as he never talks about the Panda, ever again.

-Don

I appreciate people trying to bring stats to the masses, and I thought it carried more weight coming from a former player at that. Regurgitating relevant stats is better analysis than Harold Reynolds yelling about how Joey Votto walks too much or Chris Russo saying Mike Trout is a nice little player but he doesn't get why he's talked about so much 10 times out of 10.

Kapler is a smart guy, but it's hard to boil down fairly complicated technical subjects to an insightful 30-second sound bite. It's much easier to make up some fluff about gut checks and clutchiness.

I wanted to give Billy props too. I don't see him enough to know if he's a big stats guy, but doing PBP, he knows all the nitty gritty baseball stuff. Where a cutoff man should be, footwork on a double play, all that hardcore baseball knowledge that I love.

I wanted to give Billy props too. I don't see him enough to know if he's a big stats guy, but doing PBP, he knows all the nitty gritty baseball stuff. Where a cutoff man should be, footwork on a double play, all that hardcore baseball knowledge that I love.

He's good at the stuff but when it comes to player evaluations and such he isn't good at all.

He was the only guy I saw that picked the O's to win the division last year. So there is that....

Many of us didn't pick the Orioles to win the division, and the ones that did had it coming by completely different path (ex: Wieters and Davis and Tillman and Machado with big years). So if Reynolds picked the O's at the start of the year over the Sox and Rays and everyone else... that's not much of a feather in his cap.

People really hate Reynolds that much? Besides being a little cocky and arrogant, I think he does an outstanding job breaking down what's going on and what players are thinking in certain situations. He also does a great job of picking up on the little nuances that occur all the time but often go unnoticed, such as players signaling to each other or opponents chirping at each other throughout the game, story lines to look for later in games etc.

I do think he is stubborn and likes to declare things in a definite matter rather quickly, and rarely every admitting he is wrong. This does annoy me but overall I think he points out a lot of things that as a fan, and as someone who thinks baseball sometimes needs more explanation to help educate novice fans, I appreciate it.

Out of curiosity, which analysts do people actually like from MLBtv?

Also, the graphic is kinda funny...

Remember, Reynolds is an ex-Oriole. I remember way back when, when Reynolds came in as a FA. As I recall, he wasn't that good and I don't think that he stuck around for more than 1 year.

The graphic is kind of funny. And I believe (though I might be wrong) that the point of it is that Os management doesn't resign very many of its players once they hit free agency.

Archived