Quintin Berry

Ori-Al

Will Berry get a shot at a regular job with the Orioles in spring training? He certainly provides speed, and it appears from his minor-league numbers that he knows how to spell OBP.

Wildcard just had a thread on this.

I have no idea why he didn't get even 1 start last year. Not 1. That tells me Buck no likey for whatever reason it is.

My guess is no, he will not. Not sure why. Him and Clevenger are in the doggie house.

Will Berry get a shot at a regular job with the Orioles in spring training? He certainly provides speed, and it appears from his minor-league numbers that he knows how to spell OBP.

Let's hope not.

I don't think Berry is in the doghouse. I just think he's seen as AAAA type of player who could make the team as a reserve under the right circumstances. He's not seen as regular material at this point. He did have a nice season in AAA though.

I think we should sign him to an extension. He'd be reasonable ;)

Wildcard just had a thread on this.

I have no idea why he didn't get even 1 start last year. Not 1. That tells me Buck no likey for whatever reason it is.

My guess is no, he will not. Not sure why. Him and Clevenger are in the doggie house.

I don't think the doghouse is really a big thing for Buck.

I think Clevenger was in Norfolk because they like defense from their catchers and he can't provide that. Berry didn't get any starts because Jones, Markakis, De Aza, Lough, Cruz, Young, and Pearce were all going to be playing in the playoffs and he wanted them playing. Nobody got called up for a tryout unless you count Christian Walker, but if Davis didn't get suspended he probably wouldn't have gotten a look either.

Q Berry does not hit lefthanded pitching so he will not be a regular. Could he be a platoon player? Well, it looks like the O's are going to pay De Aza 6m to play left field. Whether that is a platoon or as a everyday player is something that RZNJ has been talking about a for a while. I don't know.

De Aza and Berry are both lefties so they are not platoon partners. De Aza has the edge.

Fact is Quintin has to make it through the winter on the major league roster to have a chance in ST. That is not a sure thing. DD keeps adding to the roster and a guy with a AAA history is vulnerable.

Q adds an element that the O's don't have. He is very fast and can steal bases at an efficient rate. I hope he is around in ST so Buck sees what he has first hand. Then Buck will decide.

QB is a friend of AJ's and either is a good influence or maybe not a positive for him. I'm sure Buck and the coaches have seen enough behind the scenes to have an opinion. If he's a positive for AJ he should be on the roster because of his speed and value as a pinch runner in the late innings. I think he should have been on the playoff roster to help counter the speed of KC in the late innings.

QB is a friend of AJ's and either is a good influence or maybe not a positive for him. I'm sure Buck and the coaches have seen enough behind the scenes to have an opinion. If he's a positive for AJ he should be on the roster because of his speed and value as a pinch runner in the late innings. I think he should have been on the playoff roster to help counter the speed of KC in the late innings.

We didn't need speed to counter KC's speed. What we needed was one or two clutch hits in particular spots. Win a game, get some momentum on our side, who knows how far we might have gone?

You are right but we have too many players that can't go from 1st to third on a single. We need more speed in the lineup and a true leadoff hitter. Aoki? Altuve? Don't rule him out in a big trade at the meetings.

I wouldn't mind Aoki.

Archived