Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

I don't really get why anyone is still upset at this when it looks like we are going to get a very nice haul in return. If we get Hoffman+ this is an absolute win for the O's. Quite frankly, I think Angelos has played this masterfully. And if you don't think this is evidence of him caring about the team, I don't know what to tell you.

Duquette was a big part of the return to relevancy. He wasn't everything. Not at all. They will find a new GM and all will be fine.

I just really hope our replacement isn't one of those retreads mentioned before like Towers or Minaya... it doesn't matter how good of a haul we get for him if we get one of those guys.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cross-posted. I did not expect this.

source - Toronto Star

I did. There had to be a reason DD was out of baseball for ten years. I saw he was only with the Expos as GM for a couple years despite having success and then went to the Red Sox. I figured something similar happened.

If DD gets fired by the Jays in a few years he won't be able to get as much as roving scout in the big leagues again. Who would hire him?

You know what's interesting about the article saying that the price for DD might be too high? It's that it sounds more like opinion than anything.

"Promising right-hander Jeff Hoffman, the ninth overall pick in last summer’s draft, is thought to be the starting point in talks between the teams, and it might need to be more than him alone. Such a hefty package would not only defy, but totally obliterate previous precedents in compensation packages for managers or executives under contract changing clubs.

Should that continue to be the case, the sense is the Blue Jays should, and in all likelihood would, look elsewhere in their search for a new president and CEO."

You know what's interesting about the article saying that the price for DD might be too high? It's that it sounds more like opinion than anything.

"Promising right-hander Jeff Hoffman, the ninth overall pick in last summer’s draft, is thought to be the starting point in talks between the teams, and it might need to be more than him alone. Such a hefty package would not only defy, but totally obliterate previous precedents in compensation packages for managers or executives under contract changing clubs.

Should that continue to be the case, the sense is the Blue Jays should, and in all likelihood would, look elsewhere in their search for a new president and CEO."

If they really are in negotiations, and IF Angelos (or whomever is negotiating) is asking for Hoffman +, they should turn it down and look elsewhere. Sets a bad precedence for the owners. Bad for business.

That's just astonishing to me. DD was good, but I would not give up substantial compensation when I could get another good baseball mind (I don't know who specifically) for "free."

It's all what people are willing to pay for something they really want. He shouldn't be given away if they want him THIS bad. That would be incredibly stupid.

This guy paid $100k for a 25 year old hunk of plastic!

http://www.businessinsider.com/rare-nintendo-game-for-100k-2014-1

Cross-posted. I did not expect this.

source - Toronto Star

Woah. Well, it is surprising but also a very human and candid response.

In light of this find, and in keeping with some tenuous Gordon Lightfoot references...

Here's another: "get out 'old Dan's records'..."

Gordon Lightfoot - Old Dan's Records (Live in Chi?:

Almost 90% of what we've heard in this entire thread is opinion. Unconfirmed hearsay reporting stated as truthiness is all we're getting.

The beauty of this story is I have no idea how this is going to play out. Annoying, disturbing, alarming and unsettling for sure, but so many ways this can go from here.

A few examples:

- O's pull a quick one on Toronto and change the final draft of their agreement to send them Jim Duquette. Unfortunately, they realize Toronto did the same thing and dealt them Trevor Hoffman. Remember, always ask for the redline version of a contract!

- O's and Jays agree to compensation, but Jays later reject the deal after their doctors find calcium deposits in Duquette's throwing shoulder during his physical.

- O's and Jays agree to compensation, but Toronto tries to void the deal after meeting with Duquette, saying they were mistaken and "wanted the one who looks like Earl Weaver".

- O's and Jays agree to compensation, but Jays later realize that Duquette was simply the public face of the behind the scenes genius of Rick Dempsey.

- O's and Jays can't agree on compensation. MLB intervenes and appoints an independent arbitration panel to determine fair compensation. The panel, comprised of Rob Ford and Cito Gaston are deadlocked on fair compensation, and MLB is embarrassed when they realize why arbitration panels are more effective with an odd number of participants.

- O's and Jays can't agree to compensation. Duquette remains in Baltimore, but is fired when Angelos learns he contributed to the "Biebergate" scandal by inviting the Canadian singer and some of his friends to camp out overnight at Camden Yards. Duquette, though paying cash for a cord of firewood and 12 cases of lighter fluid, can't convince Angelos that he did not participate in the center field bonfire, due to the lack of security cameras at Camden Yards. Ed Rogers quips "go figure, we have cameras all over our outfield".

DD hasn't been denied a promotion, he's been denied the opportunity to interview elsewhere for a position that on the surface looks like might be a promotion. So far. The Blue Jays are not obligated to hire him once they're permitted to talk to him, if they ever are.

It doesn't just appear to be a promotion. DD would become President and CEO of the Blue Jays.

Archived