Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they really are in negotiations, and IF Angelos (or whomever is negotiating) is asking for Hoffman +, they should turn it down and look elsewhere. Sets a bad precedence for the owners. Bad for business.

I don't know here. I think it established, or rather reinforces protocol that was clearly not followed. It seems like the blue jays are being bent over a barrel here because of how careless (or malicious, although I suspect bumbling) their org was in how AND when they went about this.

You can bet that no team will make this mistake again for a while, until some other dysfunctional front office reaches the tipping point.

If they had contacted the Os first, and privately, and been rebuffed it would have been unfortunate for them but professional. If they did that and then chose to have Ken stir things up, they deserve all of this pain because it is unnecessarily painful for the Os.

Ken seems to have acted on their behalf and that seems ill conceived right now. So either he did it for them, and the strategy hurt them, or he did it on his own and it's become a big problem for Toronto.

These guys could have just followed protocol and handled their business behind closed doors. Now that's it's public, Angelos is probably being vindictive because of the carelessness / maliciousness of the Jays.

Other teams will do better to avoid public opinion.

I don't know here. I think it established, or rather reinforces protocol that was clearly not followed. It seems like the blue jays are being bent over a barrel here because of how careless (or malicious, although I suspect bumbling) their org was in how AND when they went about this.

You can bet that no team will make this mistake again for a while, until some other dysfunctional front office reaches the tipping point.

If they had contacted the Os first, and privately, and been rebuffed it would have been unfortunate for them but professional. If they did that and then chose to have Ken stir things up, they deserve all of this pain because it is unnecessarily painful for the Os.

Ken seems to have acted on their behalf and that seems ill conceived right now. So either he did it for them, and the strategy hurt them, or he did it on his own and it's become a big problem for Toronto.

These guys could have just followed protocol and handled their business behind closed doors. Now that's it's public, Angelos is probably being vindictive because of the carelessness / maliciousness of the Jays.

Other teams will do better to avoid public opinion.

Fair points. In a vacuum I'm right, this is too much compensation. But the way the Jays have gone about it is pretty bad. Deserve to get screwed. Better business.

One small problem, as has been noted numerous times in this saga, the MLBPA will not approve a trade of a major leaguer.

Who says the MLBPA has any say in the process? And two major leaguers changed hands when John Farrell went from the Jays to the Sox.

Not my opinion, it has been reported recently.

Not disagreeing but I've looked a couple times for where this is written in the rules. I've skimmed the official rules & the CBA and haven't found anything yet. Of course I get easily distracted & could just be missing it.

Who says the MLBPA has any say in the process? And two major leaguers changed hands when John Farrell went from the Jays to the Sox.
They had a say in the trade talks when ARod wanted to restructure his contract in order to accommodate a trade to Boston. After that fell through, the Yankees took his contract.

I am ready for this deal to go down. Give us a solid major league player and a top prospect and I think just about every member of the board would be willing to drive DD to the airport. DD is a solid GM but it doesn't look like the Red Sox did too bad after firing him. 3 World Series rings since they fired him..zero with him.

One thing to remember about the possibility of Duquette leaving Baltimore for Toronto is compensation. The Blue Jays can’t extract a major league player, that’s only allowed for a manager (example: Mike Aviles for Farrell). But you can bet Orioles owner Peter Angelos would seek a very good prospect or two in return.
source - Boston Globe

They had a say in the trade talks when ARod wanted to restructure his contract in order to accommodate a trade to Boston. After that fell through, the Yankees took his contract.

They spoke up because he would have taken less money. They never want to see that if it can be avoided. They're a union.

That was only about total value IIRC. They wanted to restructure his contract. This current situation is only about the trade, or moving of a player. Assuming at the same contract.

I am ready for this deal to go down. Give us a solid major league player and a top prospect and I think just about every member of the board would be willing to drive DD to the airport. DD is a solid GM but it doesn't look like the Red Sox did too bad after firing him. 3 World Series rings since they fired him..zero with him.

I'm actually on the same page as you (had to happen eventually). I wanted to keep Dan, but his allowing this to play out as it has changes how I feel about his place here. And if we can get two prospects that would be in our top 10, it's a no brainer conclusion to a lousy situation. I'd be more upset if we lost Dave Wallace. But the biggest worry is the guy that replaces Duquette. Getting a couple of solid prospects is a consolation prize if we get a "GM" who is average or worse. Anyone taking the job is going to be handed a bit of a mess next offseason.

Archived