Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

My own take/reading of the situation, FWIW:

Duquette is a smart man. He understands the position he is putting the Orioles in. He knows that HE is the one who signed the 6-year extension. Nobody forced him to do that. He also realizes that he has an opportunity for a larger, better paying role in Toronto, and he has apparently asked Angelos for permission to pursue that several times. But he's also smart enough to know that the Orioles can't possibly let him go to a division rival without significant compensation.

Angelos was obviously resistant to letting him go at all, as he should be. But DD has persisted, so Angelos (maybe at the behest of Buck/Brady/others) has allowed them to explore possible compensation. The price is obviously exorbitant, and honestly Duquette should be flattered by the price the Orioles are putting on him. It truly is unprecedented.

What the Orioles are doing now is exactly what DD wants by attempting to work out a trade. So why would he sulk/dog it/sabotage the Orioles while they are trying to give him what he wants? And if ultimately Toronto decides the price is too high and they move on to someone else, and he ends up back in Baltimore, at least the Orioles tried to give him what he wants. I think he would respect that, and he'd be just as invested in the Orioles going forward as he was before Toronto came calling.

My own prediction: setting the compensation bar at Hoffman PLUS is very smart, and the more they push for that, the more Toronto is willing to "only" give up Hoffman, which would still be an incredible coup for the Orioles. I think Duquette ends up getting what he wants, and the Orioles get Hoffman and maybe one other smaller piece (maybe Navarro).

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This morning's opinion article in the Toronto Star is pretty explosive!!!

"When Montreal Expos president Claude Brochu confronted then-GM Dan Duquette with rumours that the Red Sox were pursuing the New England native to be their own general manager in January 1994, Brochu informed him he was under contract and that he would not let him go. The response from Duquette, who had taken over the Expos from Dave Dombrowski in 1991, was that if he stayed his heart may not be in it and he would not be able to do the job to the best of his abilities....Duquette was out of MLB between being let go by the Bosox in 2002 and finally being hired by the Orioles, ahead of Jays’ current assistant GM Tony LaCava. Fact is, he had been available for anyone to hire, including the Jays — attending every winter meetings in that time as a job seeker, usually sitting alone in hallways and lobbies as disinterested execs passed by. "

http://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2015/01/22/why-blue-jays-should-pass-on-dan-duquette-griffin.html

Undoubtedly the homer in me talking, but more of the reason Duquette should be appreciative of the opportunity the O's gave him.

You're welcome, Dan.

An open letter to Dan Duquette

Dan, I've had the pleasure of meeting you a couple of times, and you've always been open and approachable. Having said that, my thought is now this

Leave.

Just leave.

I can't blame you for wanting to go for the promotion, so don't blame us now for holding open the door and bidding you farewell and thanks.

I don't understand what your point is here. Duquette WANTS to leave, and the O's won't let him. You should really be addressing your open letter to them.

Duquette is a smart man. He understands the position he is putting the Orioles in. He knows that HE is the one who signed the 6-year extension. Nobody forced him to do that. He also realizes that he has an opportunity for a larger, better paying role in Toronto, and he has apparently asked Angelos for permission to pursue that several times. But he's also smart enough to know that the Orioles can't possibly let him go to a division rival without significant compensation.

Angelos was obviously resistant to letting him go at all, as he should be. But DD has persisted, so Angelos (maybe at the behest of Buck/Brady/others) has allowed them to explore possible compensation. The price is obviously exorbitant, and honestly Duquette should be flattered by the price the Orioles are putting on him. It truly is unprecedented.

What the Orioles are doing now is exactly what DD wants by attempting to work out a trade. So why would he sulk/dog it/sabotage the Orioles while they are trying to give him what he wants? And if ultimately Toronto decides the price is too high and they move on to someone else, and he ends up back in Baltimore, at least the Orioles tried to give him what he wants. I think he would respect that, and he'd be just as invested in the Orioles going forward as he was before Toronto came calling.

My own prediction: setting the compensation bar at Hoffman PLUS is very smart, and the more they push for that, the more Toronto is willing to "only" give up Hoffman, which would still be an incredible coup for the Orioles. I think Duquette ends up getting what he wants, and the Orioles get Hoffman and maybe one other smaller piece (maybe Navarro).

No Navarro. Never.

I don't understand what your point is here. Duquette WANTS to leave, and the O's won't let him. You should really be addressing your open letter to them.

The Orioles will let him leave. Just not without adequate compensation. The Orioles are behaving perfectly.

Angelos is demanding a large return because he has 4 years left on his contract. If he had a 1 year or so this would be a non-issue.

DD has failed this offseason.

tumblr_m0cn2uaVvc1qkekq9o1_400.gif

Five million for a backup worse than Hundley. No thanks.

You know what, I take back my interest in Navarro. For some reason I thought he hit RHP pretty well, but it's actually LHP.

I thought he could be a good DH partner for Young, and insurance against Wieters' health concerns. But not after looking closer at his splits.

I think he is just sad Dan wants the gig. He's ready to be done with Dan.

Right, obviously Dan wants the gig or else none of this would be happening. And I'm ready to be done with Dan, too, as long as they can work out the compensation. I guess I don't see the point of an open letter telling Dan to do exactly what he wants and intends to do, but currently can't.

Archived