Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

You don't find it funny that report about him staying for 2015. Had nothing to do with what Peter Angelos said last night?

No. The early reports I read yesterday said that Beeston had been discussing retiring after 2015. That was before the Angelos remarks. There were also reports that the new heads of Rogers Communications wanted to ax Beeston because of his vote in the MLB Commissioner selection.

It's clear that the Blue Jays are going to have an opening, and that they are beginning to put together a list of candidates. That is all that is clear.

I'm sure Duquette and Kenny Williams and any other GM who does not make the kind of money that Beeston makes would be interested in exploring the opportunity. That is not the same thing as Dan Duquette wanting to leave the Orioles for the Blue Jays job. He doesn't even know what the offer would be or when the job would be open. It's as if Ken Rosenthal had tweeted, "Birdland to use PowerBall winnings to stop working and take a trip around the world." While all that might be true, there is no substance to it until you win.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe i guess will will find over over the next few months.

Except it isn't something that is actually discoverable, short of gross incompetence. Unfortunately I expect that you will use every decision that DD makes that doesn't work out perfectly as evidence that he is sabotaging the Orioles. Then if he does end up getting the job (or even interviewing for it) after the 2015 season, that will prove that you were correct in your mind.

Except it isn't something that is actually discoverable, short of gross incompetence. Unfortunately I expect that you will use every decision that DD makes that doesn't work out perfectly as evidence that he is sabotaging the Orioles. Then if he does end up getting the job (or even interviewing for it) after the 2015 season, that will prove that you were correct in your mind.

If he goes into 2015 with this team right now. You're right i will question it.

Guest rochester
True, another million dollars a year and becoming a c-level executive of one of the largest corporations in Canada isn't really a promotion over being a VP for the Orioles.

The Toronto Blue Jays are one of the largest corporations in Canada?

I guess I understand the questioning of Rosenthal because of his personal axe to grind v. Angelos, but has he ever reported something that was a lie? Bias aside, the guy is really good at his job. I remember just last week he reported the Orioles' hesitancy to go a fourth year on Markakis because of concerns with his neck, which we really had not heard before. A few days later, Markakis decides to have surgery and Duquette admits the neck was a factor in their thinking. Heck, maybe his source is Duquette himself.

Only a few will know how all this came about. It could have been an innocent statement from someone as to what they were looking for in Toronto and someone said something like "a guy like DD." Then it just snowballs.

DD seems like a pretty professional guy and not one for giving in to news leaks. Likewise PA is not always the villainous character portrayed here.

One thing is clear to me here, is that MLB should have period of time when it is allowable to make certain management changes. If they want to dump a GM/ or someone higher up it should be right after the season ends. Have a window to explore and a new guy gets signed before the Winter Meetings. If they can't do it on time use an interim from within the organization. It just keep conspiracy theorists quiet and appears more on the up and up.

You know that DD will take a lot of crap if the team falters to make a couple decent moves. Let's hope something goes right. The Cruz, Miller thing was going to happen. Markakis was a surprise to me, but to me he is the most replaceable of the 3.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>free dan duquette. no good reason angelos shouldnt allow his gm to look into jays ceo job. <a href="http://t.co/9ZiTz4CIov">http://t.co/9ZiTz4CIov</a></p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="
">December 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I tweeted at him "@JonHeymanCBS what about the WM just started and the Orioles need a GM? Horrendous timing by the Blue Jays here"

I tweeted at him "@JonHeymanCBS what about the WM just started and the Orioles need a GM? Horrendous timing by the Blue Jays here"
Heyman doesn't care about any of that. He, and his media pals, are far more interested in the soap opera that would ensue.

ETA On MLB Network, talking to Rosenthal, the Hot Stove headline is Orioles:Front Office Drama

Wouldn't it make a better soap opera if Angelos refused to allow him to interview and the Blue Jays fought it?
Nah, they want the story line that Dan couldn't wait to get away from Angelos even though he signed the big extension. Rosenthal is all smarmy reporting this, with an, oh btw, they also are considering Ken Williams.

Archived