Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

It is not as if GM's don't know how to negotiate contracts that have an out clause. They can do it for players, and they can do it for themselves. If they don't write one into their own contract with the team, I don't really feel any sympathy if the team owner expects them to live with their deal, even if "tradition" provides otherwise. In Duquette's case he was offered an extension (and undoubtedly a raise) after one year on the job, with two years to go on his original deal, and he took it. He opted for job security at the risk of losing some future flexibility regarding his employment, and whatever his contract says about his ability to opt out (or not), it says. It's up to Angelos to decide whether he wants to follow "tradition" in this instance, unless Duquette wrote something into the deal that says otherwise. I certainly won't blame Angelos at all if he says, "we had a deal and you need to honor it."

Especially after we were the only ones to give Duke a second chance after being out of the game for 10 years. I'm not jumping to conclusions, but if Duke really leaves for Toronto, it would sure look like he used us to rebuild his rep, then left us at the altar for the prettier girl!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This entire discussion seems to be filled with paranoid assumptions. Angelos has said he would deny the BJ's the right to discuss the position officially with Duquette, just as the White Sox did with Williams. Duquette has said he will honor his contract. The Commissioner serves at the discretion of the MLB owners, and any Commissioner who decided to intercede to breach a legally negotiated contract between an owner and an employee would not last the week. Such an action would threaten ALL owners. Furthermore, Angelos has already indicated his pleasure with the job Duquette is doing by offering him an extension, which Duquette gladly accepted. Too many OH'ers seem willing to take the bait Rosenthal set up with his original tweets, making Angelos out to be the bad guy. Why is there not the same degree of uproar about the White Sox' owner? Why do people not believe Jim Duquette's statements that DD is quite happy in Baltimore, but would also love an opportunity to be a CEO -- why is it so hard to understand that those two statements are completely compatible?

This entire discussion seems to be filled with paranoid assumptions. Angelos has said he would deny the BJ's the right to discuss the position officially with Duquette, just as the White Sox did with Williams. Duquette has said he will honor his contract. The Commissioner serves at the discretion of the MLB owners, and any Commissioner who decided to intercede to breach a legally negotiated contract between an owner and an employee would not last the week. Such an action would threaten ALL owners. Furthermore, Angelos has already indicated his pleasure with the job Duquette is doing by offering him an extension, which Duquette gladly accepted. Too many OH'ers seem willing to take the bait Rosenthal set up with his original tweets, making Angelos out to be the bad guy. Why is there not the same degree of uproar about the White Sox' owner? Why do people not believe Jim Duquette's statements that DD is quite happy in Baltimore, but would also love an opportunity to be a CEO -- why is it so hard to understand that those two statements are completely compatible?

I certainly do not see PA as the bad guy.

I would just like to hear DD say those things and Jim. DD has to know the media storm and concern within the fan base about this story and in my opinion having Jim come out and you are happy does nothing to inspire confidence its true. My mind and I am sure a lot of other peoples minds would be set at ease by hearing DD say, I want to be here, I plan stay here, I love working here and I do not intend to pursue any other position while I am contracted by the Orioles. Saying you will honor your contract but not adding the rest feels hollow to me. It feels like leaving yourself an out.

I agree its all paranoia at this point, but isn't that what happens when someone drops a rumor like this, and Duke didn't come out and openly deny interest?

For instance, suppose your best friend says he thinks your wife is cheating on you. You confront her and she says, "I am loyal to you." But she doesn't outright deny an affair. Wouldn't you then be paranoid? I think the same thing is happening here.

I agree its all paranoia at this point, but isn't that what happens when someone drops a rumor like this, and Duke didn't come out and openly deny interest?

For instance, suppose your best friend says he thinks your wife is cheating on you. You confront her and she says, "I am loyal to you." But she doesn't outright deny an affair. Wouldn't you then be paranoid? I think the same thing is happening here.

My wife is the paranoid one. She was standing naked in front of the mirror last week complaining about wrinkles, age and fat. She said I look horrible, don't you have anything to say about it to make me feel better?

I said, "You eye sight is darn near perfect"

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a> expected to announce that Paul Beeston will remain prez/CEO for at least another year, as <a href="https://twitter.com/elliottbaseball">@elliottbaseball</a> first said.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a> expected to announce that Paul Beeston will remain prez/CEO for at least another year, as <a href="https://twitter.com/elliottbaseball">@elliottbaseball</a> first said.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

Ha! False alarm?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a> expected to announce that Paul Beeston will remain prez/CEO for at least another year, as <a href="https://twitter.com/elliottbaseball">@elliottbaseball</a> first said. But I stand by my sources that Dan hates the Orioles, the owner, the fans, and the whole dirty rotten state of Maryland, and he wants nothing more than to flee this city immediately.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

I added in the rest of the quote that was cut off.

So after Ken says that Duquette "wants to leave" for the Blue Jays job, it turns out that the Jays president is staying on for one more year? I'd like to know how anyone came to that conclusion since it seems to me Dan was never interviewed and never offered the job.

So after Ken says that Duquette "wants to leave" for the Blue Jays job, it turns out that the Jays president is staying on for one more year? I'd like to know how anyone came to that conclusion since it seems to me Dan was never interviewed and never offered the job.

You'll have to go back about 20 pages for that analysis. But yes, it seems the reports may have been a bit sensationalized by the media. Kenny Williams has known about the job for 3 weeks.

Paranoia stems from distrust. I have no reason to distrust DD. But I wouldn't believe him if he came out and denied any interest in the BJ position -- why shouldn't he be interested? You are assuming that wherever there is interest, actions will necessarily follow. I find that a faulty assumption, based on distrust.

Or the Blue Jays found out what the White Sox and Orioles owner had to say on the matter. Now just gonna have Beeston be a empty suit in 2015.

Archived