3-Way Trade Idea

ToadB22

I guess my first reaction is that seems like a complicated way to end up with Castillo as the O's starting catcher. Not sure it's worth the effort. If the main target is Gattis, I'd try to keep it simpler. Chen or Gonzalez for Gattis. If that's not enough, move on.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess my first reaction is that seems like a complicated way to end up with Castillo as the O's starting catcher. Not sure it's worth the effort. If the main target is Gattis, I'd try to keep it simpler. Chen or Gonzalez for Gattis. If that's not enough, move on.

Gotcha, thanks for the feedback. The goal was to find an impact bat to replace (try to) Cruz, while adding to the long-term outlook of the team. Gattis isn't hitting arbitration until 2016, Sims is only 20 years old and is a top 100 prospect, and Castillo is more of a short-term catching solution to replace Wieters. I feel like this trade would minimally bolster the Orioles lineup for this year (trade Wieters & Pearce for Gattis & Castillo), while adding significant value to the future.

Gotcha, thanks for the feedback. The goal was to find an impact bat to replace (try to) Cruz, while adding to the long-term outlook of the team. Gattis isn't hitting arbitration until 2016, Sims is only 20 years old and is a top 100 prospect, and Castillo is more of a short-term catching solution to replace Wieters. I feel like this trade would minimally bolster the Orioles lineup for this year (trade Wieters & Pearce for Gattis & Castillo), while adding significant value to the future.

The impact for this year would be there although minimal, I believe, because I am not on board with the idea of Pearce replicating last year's success. This would be our opportunity to sell high.

My opinion? Pearce is far superior to Gattis. Who can't catch at all. here was a time that Pearce served as Oriole emergency catcher. He may catch as well.

The impact for this year would be there although minimal, I believe, because I am not on board with the idea of Pearce replicating last year's success. This would be our opportunity to sell high.

Also, since you addressed the fact that Wieters had no trade value, I did not feel it necessary to tell you my feelings their. He started short tossing two weeks ago. His rehab is going well. He will throw sometime in 2015.

My opinion? Pearce is far superior to Gattis. Who can't catch at all. here was a time that Pearce served as Oriole emergency catcher. He may catch as well.

Gattis would be the primary DH in this scenario and would not be called upon to catch expect in emergencies and perhaps interleague if necessary. What I like about Gattis is that he has absolutely raked at every level he has played at. I think he will continue to get better and will be a .330/.525/.855 type of player regularly

Gattis would be the primary DH in this scenario and would not be called upon to catch expect in emergencies and perhaps interleague if necessary. What I like about Gattis is that he has absolutely raked at every level he has played at. I think he will continue to get better and will be a .330/.525/.855 type of player regularly

Ok. Yeah, I like Pearce.

Also, since you addressed the fact that Wieters had no trade value, I did not feel it necessary to tell you my feelings their. He started short tossing two weeks ago. His rehab is going well. He will throw sometime in 2015.

I think Wieters would have significant trade value. I just don't think Showalter and Duquette would move him at any (or almost any) cost.

I think Wieters would have significant trade value. I just don't think Showalter and Duquette would move him at any (or almost any) cost.

Why would he have any value? He can not be looked at as a catcher and he costs almost 8 or 9 million with no control.

Cruz replaced Wieters and Machado. They are back. There is no need to replace Cruz.

Gattis might be a good DH on his own merit, without bringing Cruz into the discussion, and I wouldn't mind trading for him. But, I wouldn't want to include Pearce in the deal and create a hole in the outfield this year. Signing Delmon Young seems like a better solution to me. Or, as I mentioned earlier, trade a SP for Gattis.

Why would he have any value? He can not be looked at as a catcher and he costs almost 8 or 9 million with no control.

Even though Wieters is not a guarantee to catch Opening Day, does not mean he will be shelved through May. If Markakis can get such a nice contract from the Braves knowing he was not a 100% guarantee to be ready right out of the gate, I think Wieters can be viewed the same way. Likewise, Justin Upton was brought into SD for quite the haul for just 1 year. I'm not saying Wieters would require the same haul, but there isn't as significant of a drop-off as many would think just because of 1-year control, perhaps due to the draft-pick.

Cruz replaced Wieters and Machado. They are back. There is no need to replace Cruz.

Gattis might be a good DH on his own merit, without bringing Cruz into the discussion, and I wouldn't mind trading for him. But, I wouldn't want to include Pearce in the deal and create a hole in the outfield this year. Signing Delmon Young seems like a better solution to me. Or, as I mentioned earlier, trade a SP for Gattis.

Let me rephrase. I don't think Gattis will replace Cruz per se; but I do think this team needs another quality RH power bat. The team could fill this need via Delmon Young, or if they go this route I believe it would improve the team more, while adding to the long term success.

Even though Wieters is not a guarantee to catch Opening Day, does not mean he will be shelved through May. If Markakis can get such a nice contract from the Braves knowing he was not a 100% guarantee to be ready right out of the gate, I think Wieters can be viewed the same way. Likewise, Justin Upton was brought into SD for quite the haul for just 1 year. I'm not saying Wieters would require the same haul, but there isn't as significant of a drop-off as many would think just because of 1-year control, perhaps due to the draft-pick.

Wieters: 1 year of control coming off TJS. No one knows if he will catch at all this season.

Markakis: 4 years of control coming off neck surgery. Is expected to be in the opening day lineup.

These two things are not the same.

Markakis has a four year deal. Atlanta must feel he will be better now with the neck fixed. Or they did not realize the extent of the issue. Either. The track record of catchers returning to significant catching after Tommy John surgery is very small. Though from a small sample size. At Matt's price, he would bring back C prospects. Only. If Matt ends up not being able to catch I doubt he brings back a pick. It's a big gamble at this point. I like our keeping the DH slot open for him actually.

Wieters: 1 year of control coming off TJS. No one knows if he will catch at all this season.

Markakis: 4 years of control coming off neck surgery. Is expected to be in the opening day lineup.

These two things are not the same.

And the Upton issue and Wieters are so far apart. So far apart.

Archived