Three Day Mini Camp in Sarasota (Doc Shorebird Covering For Us)

weams

This time next week, several Orioles players will be gathering in Sarasota, Fla., to participate in a three-day mini-camp at the team's major league spring training complex.

This will be the second year the Orioles will hold a minicamp in Florida

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-sunday-morning-orioles-notes-on-upcoming-minicamp-wieters-and-outfield-options-20150103-story.html

The main thrust of the camp is to get a look at some of the organization?s young pitchers before spring training begins. The weather in Florida allows the Orioles to get much more done compared to the Baltimore cold.

It also allows staff to see some of the team's position players returning from injury. Third baseman Manny Machado, who is recovering from knee surgery, is slated to be there for the minicamp. He's been rehabbing in Sarasota this offseason in between getting married and going on his honeymoon.

Catcher Matt Wieters, who had Tommy John elbow surgery in June, likely won't attend. He's been rehabbing in Atlanta and will likely stay there to continue.

courtesy Ed Encina.

Last year's camp was an opportunity for incoming pitching coach Dave Wallace and bullpen coach Dom Chiti to get a glimpse of the organization?s pitching corps. In Sarasota, the pair watched bullpen sessions and got to meet with pitchers one-on-one.

Just like last year, Wallace and Chiti plan to travel to California after the minicamp to meet with a group of pitchers there that include Chris Tillman, Zach Britton, Miguel Gonzalez and Wei-Yin Chen.

The minicamp is also where the Orioles can bring in free agents they want to see. Last year, Delmon Young and Jack Cust came to Sarasota to work out and speak with manager Buck Showalter

Ok. It's time. The season is starting.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interested in seeing how Bundy looks. Also like to here Wallace's take on Garcia and Verett. Obviously, Manny's condition is very important too. Wonder if they'll bring Ichiro to see what kind of shape he's in.

I am positive he will be in great shape. Has he ever not been?

Does not change the fact that he can't play anymore.

Four weeks to Fanfest

Six and a half weeks until Spring Training

Three months to Opening Day

Can't wait!

What exactly is fanfest? and what do they do there? Is it worth it?

How do we get tickets? We have only been going to games since 2011 and the first time I heard of fanfest was after last years event.

How do we get tickets? We have only been going to games since 2011 and the first time I heard of fanfest was after last years event.

Fanfest is held at the Baltimore Convention Center. Most of the players show up and participate in autograph sessions and fan Q&A panels. They have a lot of Orioles gear and other paraphernalia for sale, they have giveaways, they have games set up for kids.

I'm hoping to go, though I may be away that day (Jan. 31).

Fanfest is a huge gathering of all the Orioles fans celebrating the past season and anticipating the next season. And yes, all the good players attend. Even the ones without contracts yet. They walk throughout the convention center with a handler.and use the same restrooms as you and I.

Fanfest is a huge gathering of all the Orioles fans celebrating the past season and anticipating the next season. And yes, all the good players attend. Even the ones without contracts yet. They walk throughout the convention center with a handler.and use the same restrooms as you and I.

Never been to the restroom with a handler before. Hope they wash their hands after.

Archived