Schmuck is naive to think this will be over in a week

wildcard

Yes, he has been through this before. And the last time he went through it, according to the Toronto Star:

So if you believe that past experience indicates that Dan would be able to do his job effectively during and after this debacle... the above does not seem to bear that out.

Well said

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll disagree. Roch's column (The organization will be okay without DD) and Buck's quotes (our front office kind of runs itself) lead me to think that something will get worked out, likely before the end of this week. I take both of the these (Roch and Buck) as the organization's way of telling the public "no big deal if Dan Duquette leaves" and diminishing his importance. Angelos has tried to extract as much as he can from Rogers. By the end of this week we'll see how much or how little he got.

BTW, I was close on the Colby Rasmus thing. I said he'd sign with someone by the end of the week. He signed the following Monday.

You are right often. I'd not wager on this one.

So you believe a single report by Shi Davidi without any other confirmation?

He appears legit. Not like the twitter warriors.

Baseball Columnist

Rogers Sportsnet

March 2011 – Present (3 years 11 months)

Baseball columnist for sportsnet.ca focusing on Toronto Blue Jays, the game in Canada, and Major League Baseball. A part of the tremendous broadcasting team at Rogers Sportsnet, making regular appearances on Blue Jays broadcasts and Sportsnet Connected.

No but your statement about Schmuck being na?ve seems ill advised. It could be over this week. Of course, I think the only way you'll admit it's over is if a compensation deal is agreed to and the Jays name Duquette CEO. BTW, I didn't mean to answer for Frobby. I'm sure he's basing his opinion on more than just that single report. Probably just an educated guess based on a lot of things.

I will consider it over when the Jays hire someone to replace Beeston. Whether that is Dan or someone else. Until then this thing is like a boomerang. It keeps coming back to life.

I will consider it over when the Jays hire someone to replace Beeston. Whether that is Dan or someone else. Until then this thing is like a boomerang. It keeps coming back to life.

Well then. hang on for the ride.Rizzo is next on the list. It may not be over until next year now. Toronto knows how tough Reinsdorf and Angelos are going to be. Maybe they can find someone softer. I think Andy MacPhail would be a great president. I think Rogers is likely to be removed as the responsible party on MLB's list and the company will appoint someone else. Clearly they want to get rid of their front office. All of it.

No but your statement about Schmuck being na?ve seems ill advised. It could be over this week. Of course, I think the only way you'll admit it's over is if a compensation deal is agreed to and the Jays name Duquette CEO. BTW, I didn't mean to answer for Frobby. I'm sure he's basing his opinion on more than just that single report. Probably just an educated guess based on a lot of things.

Only way it is over is if DD is the Blue Jays GM/CEO or the Blue Jays hire someone else for the position or if Rodgers is removed from a decision maker for the Jays.

I think the Toronto situation will be resolved by Fanfest. They'll either agree on compensation this week or Toronto will say they're moving on. That doesn't mean the Duquette situation is fully resolved, however. Having a somewhat unhappy and uncomfortable exec could be an issue down the road.

Toronto is moving on. I wish them nothing but the worst. As for Duquette, if PGA likes him well enough, he can be promoted to President of the Orioles in due time.

Well then. hang on for the ride.Rizzo is next on the list. It may not be over until next year now. Toronto knows how tough Reinsdorf and Angelos are going to be. Maybe they can find someone softer. I think Andy MacPhail would be a great president. I think Rogers is likely to be removed as the responsible party on MLB's list and the company will appoint someone else. Clearly they want to get rid of their front office. All of it.

Not to change the subject, but is there anyone who made better trades than Andy, just great.

Perhaps even more significantly, he'll continue to work his ass off in order to continue putting winning and/or post-season teams on the field for the previously hapless Baltimore Orioles, which will likely cement a golden legacy for himself as a career G.M. with the Expos, the Red Sox, and the Orioles.
I hope he does. But something is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. It's that DD will work his ass off to cement a golden legacy for himself. It all seems to be about himself, Dan Duquette and his Golden Legacy. Not about loyalty to the Orioles as a team. I'm probably naive to the fullest to think that a GM could ever feel loyalty to any particular team, but there it is. I want a GM who cares about the Orioles and will work for the Orioles, and will tell the Blow Jays or any other organization to go jump in the Chesapeake Bay if they come around trying to recruit or poach him (or her if it's Kim Ng). I suppose that having a decent GM, even if he's dedicated to himself and his legacy rather than being dedicated to his team, is better than having a crummy GM, even one who might feel loyalty to the team. Still, I like to hope. :)

Oh well, I think I'm probably too old-fashioned for today's modern business world. :confused:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Paul Beeston signs extension with <a href="https://twitter.com/BlueJays">@BlueJays</a>. Will remain as President and CEO until the end of the 2015 season <a href="http://t.co/kFVRRQfJzC">pic.twitter.com/kFVRRQfJzC</a></p>— Blue Jays-Official (@BlueJays) <a href="https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/559859247299588096">January 26, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Paul Beeston signs extension with <a href="https://twitter.com/BlueJays">@BlueJays</a>. Will remain as President and CEO until the end of the 2015 season <a href="http://t.co/kFVRRQfJzC">pic.twitter.com/kFVRRQfJzC</a></p>— Blue Jays-Official (@BlueJays) <a href="https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/559859247299588096">January 26, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That took less than a week.

I hope he does. But something is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. It's that DD will work his ass off to cement a golden legacy for himself. It all seems to be about himself, Dan Duquette and his Golden Legacy. Not about loyalty to the Orioles as a team. I'm probably naive to the fullest to think that a GM could ever feel loyalty to any particular team, but there it is. I want a GM who cares about the Orioles and will work for the Orioles, and will tell the Blow Jays or any other organization to go jump in the Chesapeake Bay if they come around trying to recruit or poach him (or her if it's Kim Ng). I suppose that having a decent GM, even if he's dedicated to himself and his legacy rather than being dedicated to his team, is better than having a crummy GM, even one who might feel loyalty to the team. Still, I like to hope. :)

Oh well, I think I'm probably too old-fashioned for today's modern business world. :confused:

Heaven forbid Dan Duquette care about Dan Duquette...

Archived