Blue Jays end negotiations for Dan Duquette (Beeston re-signs for 2015 season)

xian4

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would not surprise me if Duquette were gone after this year. Frankly, that doesn't concern me. What concerns me is how he handles our pending free agents, the June draft and the potential candidates for extensions, Machado, Tillman etc.. These matters will determine the relative success of the team over the next three to five years.

The other issue of significance is creating a succession plan for Duquette's departure . Angelos, seemingly has bought himself another year with Duquette. He needs to have the organization prepared to roll out that plan when Duquette leaves

Sure seems like Brady will be heavily involved in any succession planning if Duke leaves next year.

Bowden's premise that we should have taken what the Red Sox did is totally wrong.

Totally agree with you that it is a different situation because DD has more years left on his contract. However, Bowden's job as an interviewer is to get responses. I know that generally people consider him to be a poor GM (which I think is a little too tough), but the guy repeatedly gets guys to say more by the way that he asks the questions.

It doesn't really matter if the premise was wrong.

I don't know that DD "opened up" as much as the insinuation dripping from the question colored the interpretation of his response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DD was free to correct the insinuation. The fact that at times he chose not to told you all that you needed to know. If the insinuation had not been part of the questions, do you think DD would have provided the additional info?

By saying that DD had been cost an opportunity to better his family, Bowden was showing he could relate to DD's situation. People will tend to open up more when in that situation.

DD was free to correct the insinuation. The fact that at times he chose not to told you all that you needed to know. If the insinuation had not been part of the questions, do you think DD would have provided the additional info?

By saying that DD had been cost an opportunity to better his family, Bowden was showing he could relate to DD's situation. People will tend to open up more when in that situation.

Why would anyone experienced with being interviewed ever answer a question any other way than the way he wished it had been asked? There's a ton of projection being placed on this interview that doesn't belong there IMO.

I'm sort of taken aback by how many folks, even here, keep talking about Angelos being unreasonable in terms of compensation requested. There seems to be this expectation that we are/were supposed to engage Toronto on a level field of two parties looking to make a deal. This is not such a case. It's not like if we tried dealing for de aza and they would only do it for bundy. Toronto coveted something that was NOT for sale. If they don't like the price, that is their problem, not baltimores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am taking about PA standing between DD and a coveted position. Employees leaves jobs all the time and employers re-fill the position sometimes easily and sometimes it is difficult. It's not like teams don't raid each others scouting departments when looking for a new scouting director.

I understand PA has to protect his interests as well and I agree that the trade compensation for DD should be significant (as I posted early on in this discussion), but there should have been a more earnest effort on the part of both parties to

I think the question that has not been discussed is Why Dan Duquette?

Why not John Moseliak of the Cards, Brian Sabean of the Giants or Mike Rizzo of the Nats? Is it because the Yankees pointed Rogers in the Orioles direction to mess the division rival O's up? Pretty poor reasoning or just plain nasty?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_general_managers

Brady will be the new VP/GM, I have no doubt. Which would be freaking fantastic.

I like Brady. However, what makes people excited that he could be our next GM. Like Cal, I like him, and really appreciate what he did as an Oriole...but I don't see what make's him or Cal, such a great pick to run the franchise. Of course if this is the way it goes, I will hope it is fantastic, and be thrilled to have one of our own if it is. I am just not convinced that this would be the way to go.

Why would anyone experienced with being interviewed ever answer a question any other way than the way he wished it had been asked? There's a ton of projection being placed on this interview that doesn't belong there IMO.

Thank you. There's nothing to this. Bowden is a jerk and DD doesn't say anything nearly as interesting as some are suggesting. He got a biased and leading question and said "I don't know." Nothing to see here.

I like Brady. However, what makes people excited that he could be our next GM. Like Cal, I like him, and really appreciate what he did as an Oriole...but I don't see what make's him or Cal, such a great pick to run the franchise. Of course if this is the way it goes, I will hope it is fantastic, and be thrilled to have one of our own if it is. I am just not convinced that this would be the way to go.

Brady at least has front office experience. Bit more relevant then Cal being an owner at the minor league level.

I'm not advocating for either but I would prefer Brady if I had to choose between the two.

Thank you. There's nothing to this. Bowden is a jerk and DD doesn't say anything nearly as interesting as some are suggesting. He got a biased and leading question and said "I don't know." Nothing to see here.

pffft. I listened to the interview. Wish all you want, but that answer was awkward and it had nothing to do with Bowden being a jerk, asking leading questions, etc. DD knew he was going to get asked about the Blue Jays situation. He could have easily schmoozed an answer about how it's flattering to be viewed as doing a good job by another organization, but even more flattering to know that his owner values him so highly, etc. If that was accidental and "innocent", then DD really sucks at handling the media. It sounded like candor to me, not a goof.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette admitted there was "substance" to Toronto reports. Brady said he just wondered if Dan was gonna take them with him. "I'm not going"</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">January 31, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duq said "my sole focus has always been improving the Orioles."</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

If Toronto really would have given the Orioles Hoffman, and Angelos insisted on Hoffman plus Pentacost and another propsect, then I agree this is unreasonable.

But I haven't seen any confirmation that Toronto was willing to give up anything more than the usual token roster filler in this case. It's entirely reasonable for Angelos to insist on getting something of genuine value in return for letting his GM to a division rival in the middle of the offseason.

Teams poach other FOs all the time including for valued assistant GMs and scouts to move those folks into GM and Scouting Director Positions. Employees leave their employers voluntarily all the time and positions get filled internally, externally or eliminated. I understand we are talking about a GM here - and one who is under contract for several more years.

Now PA should have already had a short list of possible GM candidates when this episode began and I am sure he has one now. There would be serious upheaval in a front office where our owner struggled to find a replacement only a few years ago. Still, I am a believer that an employer, in this instance, should do everything possible to heed the wishes of employees including its most valuable ones when it comes to career opportunities.

That said, as I posted when this originally became a story, the trade price of DD should be considerable or "genuine" as noted above - starting at a top prospect and possible including additional top 15 or top 20 prospects. If Toronto never offered serious prospects, then I am okay with how PA handled this. If the price given was in the neighborhood of three of Toronto's top five prospects, then I think we asked too much.

Not sure if we will know where the real answer is. I am just saying that I would lean more on the side of preferring to see DD get the position he coveted as opposed to PA extracting every last pound of flesh in a trade scenario. Of course, if DD means so much to Toronto, it should be reflected in their trade offer - which should be considerably more than a few scrub/reliever prospects.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>When asked if Tor situation is behind O's 4 good Duquette said only "my focus is on the Orioles & doing what I can to make team competitive"</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>When asked if Tor situation is behind O's 4 good Duquette said only "my focus is on the Orioles & doing what I can to make team competitive"</p>? Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

Tampering.

Archived