Rasmus for $1/8mm, or Snider for Tarpley & PTBNL?

Frobby

Rasmus for 1/$8 mm, or Snider for Tarpley and PTBNL?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Rasmus for 1/$8 mm, or Snider for Tarpley and PTBNL?

Rasmus: 28 this season, .246/.313/.438 in 3039 PA (13.0 rWAR), .225/.287/.448 in 376 PA last year (0.7 rWAR). Can play CF if needed, under team control for only one year (assume $8 mm), some indications of personality/clubhouse issues. Wouldn't have cost us any MiL players.

Snider: 27 this season .246/.310/.406 in 1706 PA (4.2 rWAR), .264/.338/.438 in 359 PA last year (2.5 rWAR). Strictly a corner OF, under team control for two years ($2.1 mm this year), no known clubhouse issues. Cost us Tarpley and an unidentified PTBNL who presumably is of about the same quality as Tarpley.

Would you have rather have signed Rasmus, or done the Snider deal?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snider. This is what your minor league guys are for. Both Tarpley and the PTBNL could make it to the majors and contribute, but not this year. The Orioles have a little bit of a surplus in pitching. They used it to fill a need at the major league level.

Snider, no question. He may not have as high a ceiling as Rasmus, but he strikes me as the perfect complement to the group of outfielders we already have. Plus, we won't have to replace him after this season.

OTOH, Rasmus would prefer to play CF and might not be happy with the O's.

Snider, no question. He may not have as high a ceiling as Rasmus, but he strikes me as the perfect complement to the group of outfielders we already have. Plus, we won't have to replace him after this season.

OTOH, Rasmus would prefer to play CF and might not be happy with the O's.

Having him under control for this season gives Snider the edge for me. Rasmus' ability to play CF doesn't mean much when we still have De Aza and Lough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a wash for me. Snider has stunk his whole major league career other than last year. At least Rasmus has some type of track record of success and he could possibly get a QO if he is coming off a good year. He seemingly has off the field issues and may not be happy playing a corner OF position which is not a needed addition to have an unhappy player. Snider is cheaper, the talent given up so far is nothing we could expect to have helped for a few years anyways, and we have him for two years. Plus it's entirely within the realm of reason to think he could have an equal year or better than Rasmus despite an underwhelming career thus far.

I voted Snider but really it's a six/half-dozen thing. I think Rasmus is a little more likely to deliver a big season, but Snider gives the Orioles some payroll flexibility to add a piece at the deadline. In the end, the difference is small enough that I'm happy to defer to DD/Buck's expertise.

Remember, that we have Snider under control for next year too. I'd say it's close but I'd say Snider is the better move because of:

1. the extra year

2. lower salary

3. better clubhouse reputation

I might change my mind if the 2nd prospect is as good or better than Tarpley. Tarpley is also a guy who had makeup/maturity concerns before the draft. He really should have started last year at Delmarva but was held back for whatever reasons. He did lose a lot of weight this year so maybe he has his head screwed on straight now.

Good points, both about Snider's extra year and about the 2nd prospect.

Snider's contract is $2.1 million. I know Rasmus ultimately got $8 million, but I thought the O's drew the line at $7 million.

I was just referring to the question that the OP asked. I never meant to be argumentative. Yes, I would gladly spend the extra 5 or 6 elsewhere. Even if it is for Snider himself in 2016. I love that he is under control.

Remember, that we have Snider under control for next year too. I'd say it's close but I'd say Snider is the better move because of:

1. the extra year

2. lower salary

3. better clubhouse reputation

I might change my mind if the 2nd prospect is as good or better than Tarpley. Tarpley is also a guy who had makeup/maturity concerns before the draft. He really should have started last year at Delmarva but was held back for whatever reasons. He did lose a lot of weight this year so maybe he has his head screwed on straight now.

I think at this point we can assume it is Brault. But maybe the confusion was that it was reported that it was a lefty A ball starter. I am anxious to see.

Archived