Rasmus for $1/8mm, or Snider for Tarpley & PTBNL?

Frobby

Rasmus for 1/$8 mm, or Snider for Tarpley and PTBNL?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Rasmus for 1/$8 mm, or Snider for Tarpley and PTBNL?

I think at this point we can assume it is Brault. But maybe the confusion was that it was reported that it was a lefty A ball starter. I am anxious to see.

I favour this deal also.

Also note that we paid Tarpley $525K to sign so that sunk cost is gone.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/01/a-look-at-the-pitcher-the-orioles-gave-up-in-the-travis-snider-trade.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Connolly intimated it will be a hitter for the PTBNL.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Tarpley, young lefty Os took in 3rd round in 2013. High upside. No idea on player to be named but was told Bucs were talking a hitter as 2nd</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">January 28, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Travis is set to break out this season....

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/2014-batted-ball-distance-surgers/

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just referring to the question that the OP asked. I never meant to be argumentative. Yes, I would gladly spend the extra 5 or 6 elsewhere. Even if it is for Snider himself in 2016. I love that he is under control.

My guess is that if we add current obligations plus estimated remaining arb figures plus $5 million we get pretty close to what DD's real maximum budget is. I would much rather have some reserve at this point. I also like Snider and the fact that he's not just a one year deal.

My guess is that if we add current obligations plus estimated remaining arb figures plus $5 million we get pretty close to what DD's real maximum budget is. I would much rather have some reserve at this point. I also like Snider and the fact that he's not just a one year deal.

I agree with you completely. The misinterpretation that the Orioles were prepared to have a 135 million dollar payroll has caused much offseason agita.

It's a wash for me. Snider has stunk his whole major league career other than last year. At least Rasmus has some type of track record of success and he could possibly get a QO if he is coming off a good year. He seemingly has off the field issues and may not be happy playing a corner OF position which is not a needed addition to have an unhappy player. Snider is cheaper, the talent given up so far is nothing we could expect to have helped for a few years anyways, and we have him for two years. Plus it's entirely within the realm of reason to think he could have an equal year or better than Rasmus despite an underwhelming career thus far.

I don't think Snider stunk in 2008-10, when he was 20-22 years old and managed to put up a .764 OPS over that period. Those were pretty decent numbers at that age, IMO. He was awful from 2011-13 at ages 23-25 (.637 OPS). I haven't researched his career to see if there were reasons (e.g., injuries) for that dip in performance. His .776 OPS last year is more in line with what I would have expected from Snider based on the early part of his career.

It's a wash for me. Snider has stunk his whole major league career other than last year. At least Rasmus has some type of track record of success and he could possibly get a QO if he is coming off a good year. He seemingly has off the field issues and may not be happy playing a corner OF position which is not a needed addition to have an unhappy player. Snider is cheaper, the talent given up so far is nothing we could expect to have helped for a few years anyways, and we have him for two years. Plus it's entirely within the realm of reason to think he could have an equal year or better than Rasmus despite an underwhelming career thus far.

What track record of success does Rasmus have.

What track record of success does Rasmus have.

I'm NOT a Rasmus fan, but OPS+ of 127 in 2013 and 104 in 2014 plus an outstanding 132 in 2010 before injuries hit in 2011. Not a great track record, but I think it meets the "some type of track record of success" as stated by oriole. Again, not a Rasmus fan but the guy has some talent and has had some productive seasons in the majors.

I don't think Snider stunk in 2008-10, when he was 20-22 years old and managed to put up a .764 OPS over that period. Those were pretty decent numbers at that age, IMO. He was awful from 2011-13 at ages 23-25 (.637 OPS). I haven't researched his career to see if there were reasons (e.g., injuries) for that dip in performance. His .776 OPS last year is more in line with what I would have expected from Snider based on the early part of his career.

Yeah, I'm giving too much weight to the recent bad years. So I'll rephrase... Snider has stunk since 2011 other than his late season success last year. That's enough for me to put him pretty equal to Rasmus and his up and down career when you consider cost and public perception of personality.

Piecing together what I read last night, I don't think Brault is the PTBNL. It sounded like he was discussed, maybe asked for, and we countered with Tarpley. If Brault was the PTNBL there is not reason it would not e public knowledge by now. All signs point to someone from the 2014 draft or the remote possibility that it is Ohlman himself, if he doesn't get claimed.

Doubt it is Ohlman. Why not just include him in the original deal.

I am surprised they kept Clevenger over Ohlman.

Doubt it is Ohlman. Why not just include him in the original deal.

I am surprised they kept Clevenger over Ohlman.

Wouldn't they need to fit him on their 40 man? Maybe they don't have a spot. I also read that they are thick on catching prospects, so it may not be him anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived