All the moves count, no matter when they were made

wildcard

Shoot, they're easily - EASILY - the best team in the division. Markakis and Cruz will both tank this season. Showalter is a god.

Fantastic offseason. I don't care. Winball. #rainbows #unicorns #swag

I think the team will miss Nick and Nelson as people. They both meant a lot to the team. Nick was an outstanding player for many years for the O's but his two year regression made him replaceable. Nick is an everyday kind of player. It will take more than one guy to match what he did. But I think the O's can cover it. Nelson had a great year for the O's. His homers and RBI were impressive. But when I add up what the O's should get from Wieters, Manny, Davis, Snider and De Aza, I don't think they have lost much if anything at all. More his presence in the lineup than anything.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two more comments:

Thus the thread title "All the moves count, no matter when they were made."

Many other teams didn't win 96 regular season games so they probably needed to make more moves.

I guess that works when you assume a static universe except for moves your favorite team makes.

Eh, I like the post. It's a nice run down of the depth moves that have been made. When your payroll is $120 and you have 6 starting pitchers entrenched on the roster and the FA class blows absolute goats, there's not a whole lot of blockbuster moves to be made.

There were no players acquired outside of FA worth acquiring or players likely available via trade worth acquiring?

That's not even getting into long term planning trading excess for additional MiLB depth, acquiring international pool money, extending in-house talent, etc.

And in any event, my point was more that you'd be hard pressed to find many competitive teams that have not done as much or more than the listed moves, but it was fun to see the list spun as "Orioles making calculated and savvy moves." No malice; all entertainment.

You seem to want some negatives. There are some. Schoop, Flaherty and Joseph's hitting. All way below average.

I don't want any negatives. My post was solely observational in nature -- I appreciated your ability to look at a list of "keep the trains running on time" type of moves and view them through a "cup runneth over" pair of glasses. Really wasn't anything more than that.

There were no players acquired outside of FA worth acquiring or players likely available via trade worth acquiring?

That's not even getting into long term planning trading excess for additional MiLB depth, acquiring international pool money, extending in-house talent, etc.

And in any event, my point was more that you'd be hard pressed to find many competitive teams that have not done as much or more than the listed moves, but it was fun to see the list spun as "Orioles making calculated and savvy moves." No malice; all entertainment.

You are just a little ahead of the curve on acquiring minor leaguers. The O's have too many relievers. One or two may be traded for minor league talent. Dan hasn't gotten that far yet. He probably wants to see who is healthy in ST.

In trades you have to give up something to get something. With the O's coming off a 96 win season they don't want to trade what other teams want.

Dan trades minor leaguers that MacPhail would never has given up. Some of these guys will probably reach the majors like Hader and ERod. But that is what Dan needs to do in a win now philosophy.

I'm rereading his OP for a second time. I don't see the orange colored glasses as much as I see a run down of the moves and why they were made. What observations in particular do you take issue with?

They are factual observations. I don't take issue with any -- how could I? Again, I was playfully speaking to the framing of fairly run of the mill moves, and in particular the tag:

Some how the off season looks busier now.

in light of the fact that essentially every team in baseball could line up this list (or more). If you want to have fun with it you could read that tag as "Wow, look at all the moves it takes to fill your 40 man with reasonably capable warm bodies...front office execs don't have an easy job! How does Billy Beane sleep?!?!?!?!"

Really wasn't anything more than playful banter.

I guess that works when you assume a static universe except for moves your favorite team makes.

Wildcard might be the best poster on here but you are commenting on a board that had voted by 75% that we were the clear favorite to win the AL East this year.

Not saying it won't happen or can't, but based on our losses and lackluster moves this offseason..seems to be a bit of the orange-colored glasses.

They are factual observations. I don't take issue with any -- how could I? Again, I was playfully speaking to the framing of fairly run of the mill moves, and in particular the tag:

in light of the fact that essentially every team in baseball could line up this list (or more). If you want to have fun with it you could read that tag as "Wow, look at all the moves it takes to fill your 40 man with reasonably capable warm bodies...front office execs don't have an easy job! How does Billy Beane sleep?!?!?!?!"

Really wasn't anything more than playful banter.

I think you missed the point of the comment about the looking busier after seeing these moves. The point is that there have been many comments in the media and otherwise that the O's didn't do anything to help themselves for the 2015 season. I don't think that is true. Thus the OP.

Sure its true that almost every team makes moves. Not disputing that. The point is the O's have made moves also.

Wildcard might be the best poster on here but you are commenting on a board that had voted by 75% that we were the clear favorite to win the AL East this year.

Not saying it won't happen or can't, but based on our losses and lackluster moves this offseason..seems to be a bit of the orange-colored glasses.

And it would seem lackluster to any one who does not under the O's philosophy. The O's try not to add 30 something players. They try not to pay for history. They try to find players that have their best years ahead of them. That is why Mark Reynolds, Jim Johnson, Nick Markakis and Nelson Cruz are not Orioles any longer. Instead the O's take that money and pay their arbitration players. And in so doing the O's payroll has gone up each for the last three years.

Call it what you want but the O's still have 6 All-Star players and are adding to the team with age 20 something players. Its worked so far.

And it would seem lackluster to any one who does not under the O's philosophy. The O's try not to add 30 something players. They try not to pay for history. They try to find players that have their best years ahead of them. That is why Mark Reynolds, Jim Johnson, Nick Markakis and Nelson Cruz are not Orioles any longer. Instead the O's take that money and pay their arbitration players. And in so doing the O's payroll has gone up each for the last three years.

Call it what you want but the O's still have 6 All-Star players and are adding to the team with age 20 something players. Its worked so far.

I don't disagree, but sometimes you gotta pay. I think DD wanted to resign Cruz. We are going to miss his bat.

I don't disagree, but sometimes you gotta pay. I think DD wanted to resign Cruz. We are going to miss his bat.

Do you think that O's will miss his bat for the next four years? That was the contract. Ages 34 through 38. $14M a year. You really want to sign up for that with his injury history?

Do you think that O's will miss his bat for the next four years? That was the contract. Ages 34 through 38. $14M a year. You really want to sign up for that with his injury history

I think DD wanted to. It's close. Why weren't we on A LaRouche? Cheap. Plays a good 1b, allows you to move Davis to RF?

Archived