Greatest GM's-Several O's

Can_of_corn

https://pursuitofpennants.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/25-andy-macphail/

Coming out of college in 1976 MacPhail knew he wanted a career in a baseball front office and thought he had lined up a position with the Montreal Expos. Unfortunately, when the American League awarded an expansion franchise to Toronto that spring, creating a second major league team in Canada, the Expos were so dismayed with American League president Lee MacPhail that they rescinded the employment offer to Lee?s son. Andy quickly rebounded, taking a position with the Cubs in park operations and player development. In early 1982, just 28, he joined Houston as assistant to general manager Al Rosen.
Unfortunately, many of the young hurlers never progressed as hoped, and the Orioles lost over 90 games every season through 2011, after which MacPhail resigned. The next year Baltimore was baseball?s surprise team; they won 93 games and made the playoffs, mostly with a team built by MacPhail. Although he wasn?t around to enjoy it, MacPhail?s farm system and savvy trades for the likes of Adam Jones, Mark Reynolds, J.J. Hardy, and Chris Davis left the Orioles with a solid talent base.

Those are fighting words around here... tread lightly.

Next year if Dan hangs around will be his team. Most of MacPhail players will be gone.

The book by the authors of this article, In Pursuit of Pennants: Baseball Operations from Deadball to Moneyball, looks pretty interesting. Here's a link to a list of executives who are covered in the book: http://www.pursuitofpennants.com/dramatis-personae-1.html The list includes Harry Dalton, Pat Gillick, Roland Hemond, Larry Lucchino, Lee MacPhail and Paul Richards, all execs who spent time with the Orioles.

He was good and all, but #25 all time? Dude was a GM for like 5 years or something.

He was GM of the Twins from 1985-1994, and GM of the Cubs from 2000-2001 before being promoted. The Twins won two World Series while he was GM there.

I dont understand, how some people over credit Andy and like to under credit DD.

First off, my opinion. Andy was extremely instrumental in changing the owner's handling of the team and spending money on Sarasota and becoming a real team that players actually want to come here.

Give credit where it's due.

But, DD has taken's Andy's work, built on it, did his own moves, and has the best record in the AL for the 3 years, with 2 ALDS.

They are both important in their own right, and to over value or under value either is wrong.

I dont understand, how some people over credit Andy and like to under credit DD.

First off, my opinion. Andy was extremely instrumental in changing the owner's handling of the team and spending money on Sarasota and becoming a real team that players actually want to come here.

But, DD has taken's Andy's work, built on it, did his own moves, and has the best record in the AL for the 3 years, with 2 ALDS.

They are both important in their own right, and to over value or under value either is wrong.

2 ALDS? I will look forward to that.

Those same people were likely to be Andy under appreciators when he was a member of the Orioles. Lots of folks don't like what they have, and wish they had what they ain't.

And a second ALCS and a World Series appearance.

Andy MacPhail had the luxury of teams that were out of the race by June. Makes percolating your trades easy. It is very easy to be a good trader, when you are a seller. Not a need based buyer.

Andy MacPhail had the luxury of teams that were out of the race by June. Makes percolating your trades easy. It is very easy to be a good trader, when you are a seller. Not a need based buyer.

An odd "luxury" but you are correct.

Archived