Greatest GM's-Several O's

Can_of_corn

Andy MacPhail had the luxury of teams that were out of the race by June. Makes percolating your trades easy. It is very easy to be a good trader, when you are a seller. Not a need based buyer.

I'm not so sure it's that easy, if what you are trying to do is acquire unproven young talent. Several of Andy's trades turned out to be absolute fleecings, because the unproven talent proved out. And his most important trades were largely made in the offseason. The only mid-season trade that produced much was Koji for David and Hunter.

I do think Andy got a little lucky with the timing of the Bedard trade. There was so little pitching talent on the market that winter that he was able to command a king's ransom for a guy who had never thrown 200 innings in a season and who had only qualified for the ERA title in two seasons. And I know it is fashionable to say Seattle was insane to do that deal, but some of the rumored deals offered by Cincinnati were just as lucrative; I'm pretty sure we were rumored to have been offered Votto, Cueto and some other pieces, but wouldn't do it because we wanted Jay Bruce (who at the time was the most highly prized Reds prospect, above the other two).

I'm not so sure it's that easy, if what you are trying to do is acquire unproven young talent. Several of Andy's trades turned out to be absolute fleecings, because the unproven talent proved out. And his most important trades were largely made in the offseason. The only mid-season trade that produced much was Koji for David and Hunter.

I do think Andy got a little lucky with the timing of the Bedard trade. There was so little pitching talent on the market that winter that he was able to command a king's ransom for a guy who had never thrown 200 innings in a season and who had only qualified for the ERA title in two seasons. And I know it is fashionable to say Seattle was insane to do that deal, but some of the rumored deals offered by Cincinnati were just as lucrative; I'm pretty sure we were rumored to have been offered Votto, Cueto and some other pieces, but wouldn't do it because we wanted Jay Bruce (who at the time was the most highly prized Reds prospect, above the other two).

Andy almost got Kershaw for Bedard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived