Opening Day Tix

Pedro Cerrano

In this thread we see why the servers get overloaded. The Orioles know exactly how many customers they have but people open 18 windows on three devices. I get the frustration, but most of you frustrated contribute to the reasons for the slowness.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then again, the fans could be to blame for being...well...

...overly aggressive?

That's certainly true, but there's another side to it as well. You're limited to buying 1 seat per season ticket plan, but most of the tickets were gone inside of 20 minutes. Camden Yards has a capacity of 45,971, that's a lot of tickets to sell in so short a time. At 2PM on a weekday. Huge demand, I'd say.

And yet the only way to guarantee yourself Opening Day tickets is buying the very expensive Full and 29-Game plans. No matter how you look at it, the Orioles' ticket ordering system seems to favor the scalpers in every way. Who else can afford 2-6 of those high-priced plans? Orioles fans are very blue collar. I myself had to take cash advances on my credit cards just to be able to afford the deposit.

You can't really blame people for being overly aggressive. I checked the going rates on StubHub yesterday, and prices for Orioles Opening Day tickets were the highest among all of Baseball (starting at $145 each). Last year I struggled to get postseason tickets, and mere minutes after the sale started, the best I could do was get 3 SRO tickets to game 2 (which turned out to be a truly awesome day).

Scalping has taken on a much more aggressive form in the digital age. It's inconvenient for sure, but unless you're equally aggressive, you miss out. And paying $300 each for nosebleed seats is total BS.

In this thread we see why the servers get overloaded. The Orioles know exactly how many customers they have but people open 18 windows on three devices. I get the frustration, but most of you frustrated contribute to the reasons for the slowness.

What is the alternative? To have a lottery for all 13-game plan holders? I would rather have a free for all where everyone that got tickets were those passionate enough to log on at 2 pm using three laptops and six browsers. No matter what some people are going to be left out. At least this way people that care more have a better chance.

That's certainly true, but there's another side to it as well. You're limited to buying 1 seat per season ticket plan, but most of the tickets were gone inside of 20 minutes. Camden Yards has a capacity of 45,971, that's a lot of tickets to sell in so short a time. At 2PM on a weekday. Huge demand, I'd say.

And yet the only way to guarantee yourself Opening Day tickets is buying the very expensive Full and 29-Game plans. No matter how you look at it, the Orioles' ticket ordering system seems to favor the scalpers in every way. Who else can afford 2-6 of those high-priced plans? Orioles fans are very blue collar. I myself had to take cash advances on my credit cards just to be able to afford the deposit.

You can't really blame people for being overly aggressive. I checked the going rates on StubHub yesterday, and prices for Orioles Opening Day tickets were the highest among all of Baseball (starting at $145 each). Last year I struggled to get postseason tickets, and mere minutes after the sale started, the best I could do was get 3 SRO tickets to game 2 (which turned out to be a truly awesome day).

Scalping has taken on a much more aggressive form in the digital age. It's inconvenient for sure, but unless you're equally aggressive, you miss out. And paying $300 each for nosebleed seats is total BS.

Can't argue with the bolded. And honestly, I hadn't considered that aspect of the problem (i.e., potential scalpers buying large swaths of seats for resale).

FWIW, if you really want to game the people who're trying to game the system, just call the ticket office directly. Even though I was told by email a week or two ago that OD tickets would not be sold online, when I told them the system had essentially overloaded and "eaten" my order, they arranged new seats over the phone (and I'm just a 13 game plan holder). You could probably call right away and do the same thing: just say the system ate your seats, and ask for alternatives (not this time, but the next go-round).

While it may be very disappointing for those that were unable to get tix, I think we can all agree that it is much better to have these problems because the team is competitive than to sit anywhere you want during a 67 win season. For those of us who have been plan holders for a long time, we can remember in the lean years when getting opening day was a breeze, we said we would give anything to have a winning team, a playoff team and now we got it, so I know there may be problems to the system but lets be thankful the team is good enough...thats what we really care about anyway

You've got to give the Orioles credit for trying to assist frustrated customers in these situations. They're under no obligation to do so, they could just say "Tough". But they do try to make people happy whenever possible.

Sadly, Baltimore Orioles tickets are a prime target for scalpers. Take a quick glance through the Orioles' home schedule. Try getting tickets in sections 382-388. You can't. They're sold out for virtually every home game. Scalpers buy them up in huge lots because they're the cheapest seats in the house and they make a killing selling more tickets for higher prices.

So. You feel the scalpers are buying the season packages?

You've got to give the Orioles credit for trying to assist frustrated customers in these situations. They're under no obligation to do so, they could just say "Tough". But they do try to make people happy whenever possible.

Sadly, Baltimore Orioles tickets are a prime target for scalpers. Take a quick glance through the Orioles' home schedule. Try getting tickets in sections 382-388. You can't. They're sold out for virtually every home game. Scalpers buy them up in huge lots because they're the cheapest seats in the house and they make a killing selling more tickets for higher prices.

My rep was texting me and emailing some friends of mine throughout the ordeal. Whether he made a difference, he did share the correct process and preached patience and no back button and all was well. Good Job Sean Foy.

I think they stopped selling season tickets in those sections. I bet because they are so cheap people bought them to be able to get more Opening Day and playoff tickets and then just upgraded them for other games they went to.

From my experience those are sections of seats that the O's hold back until closer to the game because they are not as desirable and week days they can funnel ppl to other seats, they do the same in other sections throughout stadium like section 70, it will open up on the day or 2 before the game. I do think there are scalpers but not enough to buy up whole sections

From my experience those are sections of seats that the O's hold back until closer to the game because they are not as desirable and week days they can funnel ppl to other seats, they do the same in other sections throughout stadium like section 70, it will open up on the day or 2 before the game. I do think there are scalpers but not enough to buy up whole sections

I know that you are correct on this.

Here is the map. I don't think they have ever sold season tickets to the bleachers but look at the Upper Deck LF area. Looks like no more drink rail season tickets either unless they sold out of them. I have sat there a couple of times, really liked them. http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/ticketing/season.jsp

You have to click on seating map, can't link directly.

My rep was texting me and emailing some friends of mine throughout the ordeal. Whether he made a difference, he did share the correct process and preached patience and no back button and all was well. Good Job Sean Foy.

I agree. I was one of the frustrated customers, but Weams and Sean kept me cool. It took me about 45 minutes to finally get through, and I ended up with seats in section 308, essentially I'm sitting on the Warehouse roof. lol But its Opening Day, and I'm in. No complaints from me.

That said, I had a buddy who also is a 13 plan holder, and at 2:22 it told him all tickets were sold. I got mine at 245. So how and why did he get that message?

I told him to call Sean and explain what happened.

Anyway, public shout out and thanks to my man Weams, and my rep Sean!

Ok I got them. Sorry for acting like a complete ass these past few weeks.

Weams is the man.

See you all the 10th.

Congratulations. I hope others were as patient and got in as you did. It did take patience to navigate the web traffic with all the open tabs and devices.

Congratulations. I hope others were as patient and got in as you did. It did take patience to navigate the web traffic with all the open tabs and devices.

The good news is I'm in, and the seats were only $22 a piece. Can't beat that on Opening friggin Day!

Might use the savings for a cab ride home. That's how you drink.............................responsibly!

Archived