What it like to hit 97MPH

paulcoates

Also gives you an idea of how hard is it to be an ump behind the plate. Some pitches were obvious but if the ball is 1 inch off the plate it's not so easy to say ball or strike.

You need really good bat speed to hit that but if you do it's not hard to time it if you know it's coming. Hard part comes when the pitcher throws in a few 80mph changeups to throw you off.

Also gives you an idea of how hard is it to be an ump behind the plate. Some pitches were obvious but if the ball is 1 inch off the plate it's not so easy to say ball or strike.

You need really good bat speed to hit that but if you do it's not hard to time it if you know it's coming. Hard part comes when the pitcher throws in a few 80mph changeups to throw you off.

Even if you know it is coming, it is hard to get the lumber moving that fast and square it up. You stand a much better chance with aluminum or composite just because of the weight

Even if you know it is coming, it is hard to get the lumber moving that fast and square it up. You stand a much better chance with aluminum or composite just because of the weight

True. I was going off that even I, who hasn't played organized ball since middle school, can still square up the fastest balls at the batting cages but that's right down the pike, using a super light aluminum bat, and me starting my swing before the pitch even comes out.

Archived