Must be some very good local high School players because..

Calvert Hall is really good program last year their varsity, jv, and freshman teams went a combined 75-0. The best player's name is Kevin Lingerman, I know he has signed to play somewhere, but I cant think of where.

Another good local team is St. John's in DC. They have a stud pitcher in Scott Silverstein, who committed to VA, and L.J. Hoes an outfielder, who committed to UNC.

In Anne Arundel County probably the best seniors are:

LHP Paul DeVito (Archbishop Spalding)- committed to Radford

RHP Tyler Hibbs (Arundel)- committed to Florida State

SS Jeff Kemp (Archbishop Spalding)- committed to Radford

These are just my top three from Anne Arundel county.

IMO the order would be:

Scott Silverstein

LJ Hoes

Tyler Hibbs

Paul DeVito

Jeff Kemp

These are the best players I could think of off the top of my head.

I am a close friend to Kevin, he has just committed about a week ago to play for George Mason.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO the order would be:

Scott Silverstein

LJ Hoes

Tyler Hibbs

Paul DeVito

Jeff Kemp

You'd feel completely different if you watched Arundel baseball rather than just listen to the hype. Hibbs has a very unprojectable frame, and despite the hype he's given, he only throws in the mid 80's at best. 5'9 right handers who throw in the mid 80's are not legit pro prospects. He's probably best off converting to 2B, pending he can get more patient at the plate. His size and lack of raw power will project better to 2b.

Calvert Hall is really good program last year their varsity, jv, and freshman teams went a combined 75-0. The best player's name is Kevin Lingerman, I know he has signed to play somewhere, but I cant think of where.

Another good local team is St. John's in DC. They have a stud pitcher in Scott Silverstein, who committed to VA, and L.J. Hoes an outfielder, who committed to UNC.

IMO the order would be:

Scott Silverstein

LJ Hoes

Tyler Hibbs

Paul DeVito

Jeff Kemp

Yea, I play against Hoes and Silverstein pretty regularly. Silverstein is about 6-5, 190 think Tillman except lefty. He is going to be a first round draft pick. He is a special player, consistently throws 94-96. LJ is another great player. He plays centerfield for the Cadets. He hits nothing but line drives and has pure speed. He will be a top 5 round draft pick. St. John's has two other guys who I can't think of right now who will probably be top 15 round picks. So overall, the talent in this area is vast.

Another guy i used to play against, Matt Sweeney, was drafted by Anaheim last year and tore up one of the High A leagues out west. My team schrimages Arundel early on so Ill try to check out Hibbs. I know that he led Arundel to the State Championship last year.

Maybe I oughta know since I went there, but has Calvert Hall sent anybody to the big leagues other than former Twins (and Orioles) RHP Dave Boswell?

They had a guy back in '96 or '97, cant pinpoint the year, but anyway he got a lot of hype and I think had a full ride to UNC? But, he blew out his arm, something with his labrum. He threw 93-95 and big, strong righty. But other than that, no one has really come close.

Yea, I play against Hoes and Silverstein pretty regularly. Silverstein is about 6-5, 190 think Tillman except lefty. He is going to be a first round draft pick. He is a special player, consistently throws 94-96. LJ is another great player. He plays centerfield for the Cadets. He hits nothing but line drives and has pure speed. He will be a top 5 round draft pick. St. John's has two other guys who I can't think of right now who will probably be top 15 round picks. So overall, the talent in this area is vast.

Another guy i used to play against, Matt Sweeney, was drafted by Anaheim last year and tore up one of the High A leagues out west. My team schrimages Arundel early on so Ill try to check out Hibbs. I know that he led Arundel to the State Championship last year.

Arundel was knocked out of the championship tournament in their first game after their bye. I think the team that beat them was Great Mills. Their team is all around solid, I wouldn't give any one player credit for leading the team as far as they got, and if I had to, I would give Pleffner the credit.

The New York Times ran an interesting retrospective on the Moneyball draft a few days ago that included this line:

"...Four of the seven players picked by Oakland (57 percent) among the first 39 picks in that draft have played in the majors, including Brown. Of the other 32 picks, 20 have played in the majors (62.5 percent).

The difference is in the number of high school players in those groups. Oakland drafted none while other teams selected 18, and 11 have played in the majors, including Prince Fielder, B. J. Upton, Cole Hamels, Scott Kazmir, James Loney, Jeff Francoeur, Matt Cain and Adam Loewen..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/sports/baseball/19chass.html?ref=sports

The 2002 draft was insane. And look at who Oakland might have had: Papelbon

Upton

Loewen

Grienke

Fielder

Moore

Francis

Hermida

Saunders

Greene

Adams

Kazmir

Swisher

Hamels

Ring

Loney

Guthrie

Francouer

Cain

Teahen

Votto

Owings*

Bush

Lester

Broxton

Crain

Reed

McCann

Lewis

Snyder (AZ catcher)

Dukes

Granderson!

Rich Hill

Josh Johnson

Penn

Maine

Scott Olsen

Neshek

Capps

Spilboroughs

Lind*

Kendrick

Zumaya

Shealy

Fahey

Jeff Clement*

Anthony Reyes *

Mike Pelfrey *

Brad Thompson

Brandon McCarthy

Russell Martin

Chuck James

Kameron Loe

Trevor Crowe * (Oakland)

Andy Laroche *

Taylor Teagarden *

Jacoby Ellsbury*

Travis Buck *

Justin Towles * (Oakland)

Ricky Romero *

Luke Hochevar *

Hunter Pence *

Jon Papelbon * (Oakland)

Brian Bannister *

* HS did not sign

Arundel was knocked out of the championship tournament in their first game after their bye. I think the team that beat them was Great Mills. Their team is all around solid, I wouldn't give any one player credit for leading the team as far as they got, and if I had to, I would give Pleffner the credit.

Yes your right. I though Elenor Roosevelt was kicked out early? I guess I was wrong. Arundel was the #1 seed overall I believe

Yes your right. I though Elenor Roosevelt was kicked out early? I guess I was wrong. Arundel was the #1 seed overall I believe

They were a good team, and are a good team year in and year out. Bernie is a big name coach, and they do a lot of creative recruiting. I'm not sure who the player was, but I think the reason he went to Arundel was to take russian or something (aka to play baseball). Forgive my bias, but I don't think you can find another non-arundel Anne Arundel Public School baseball player that doesn't hate Arundel baseball.

I do try my best to keep my bias aside while rating their players, but Hibbs does not deserve his hype.

Tyler Hibbs is a great H.S. player. I do think he is a 4th to 6th round pick. You are wrong on your facts though. Arundel was knocked out in the second round of the regional play-offs. ER or PG County beat Sherwood from Montgomery County for the 4A state title last year. Arundel won it in 2006.

Another kid that will be a high draft pick is Kevin Brady from Gaithersburg. He is committed to Clemson.

St. John's players are typically overrated. There is always alot of hype but, most do not pan out. Example: Connor Hoehn last year. A lot of hype 12th round pick. Spaulding and Calvert Hall are the real deals.

Tyler Hibbs is a great H.S. player. I do think he is a 4th to 6th round pick. You are wrong on your facts though. Arundel was knocked out in the second round of the regional play-offs. ER or PG County beat Sherwood from Montgomery County for the 4A state title last year. Arundel won it in 2006.

Another kid that will be a high draft pick is Kevin Brady from Gaithersburg. He is committed to Clemson.

St. John's players are typically overrated. There is always alot of hype but' date=' most do not pan out. Example: Connor Hoehn last year. A lot of hype 12th round pick. Spaulding and Calvert Hall are the real deals.[/quote']

When evaluating a prospect, it is important to consider the actual raw talent, and not just the numbers. He puts up great numbers, but simply put, a small right hander who throws in the 83-85 range is not a great pro prospect. He definitely is a great high school player, but he's not a great pro prospect.

St. John's players are typically overrated. There is always alot of hype but' date=' most do not pan out. Example: Connor Hoehn last year. A lot of hype 12th round pick. Spaulding and Calvert Hall are the real deals.[/quote']

I heard Brady was hitting low 90's at the Southern Maryland showcase in January, I didn't get to personally see him but heard alot about him.

Archived