Must be some very good local high School players because..

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know anything about the Alexandria, VA area schools? I go to St. Stephen's and St. Agnes school, and we've got a senior, Connor McGuiness, who is pretty nasty. Also, a few years ago we had Mike Schwimmer, UVA's current ace

They had a guy back in '96 or '97, cant pinpoint the year, but anyway he got a lot of hype and I think had a full ride to UNC? But, he blew out his arm, something with his labrum. He threw 93-95 and big, strong righty. But other than that, no one has really come close.

Tim Sexton graduated in 2005 from Calvert Hall is in the LA Dodgers organization along with Dave Johnson's son, but he went to St. Paul's.

I was talking to a talent evaluator and he that in this area Bernie is a big name coach. Outside of Maryland not many coaches or college coaches know who Bernie Walters is.

That comes as a surprise to me. I know Bernie coaches a summer team called the Maryland Monarchs, which has a lot of UMBC and Delaware players. I also know that team does a lot of traveling and such. The real talent on that team is the Delaware shortstop. His name escapes me at the moment, but he went to Old Mill High School. Also, on that team, Hibbs was sharing time more than he was tearing up the league.

That comes as a surprise to me. I know Bernie coaches a summer team called the Maryland Monarchs, which has a lot of UMBC and Delaware players. I also know that team does a lot of traveling and such. The real talent on that team is the Delaware shortstop. His name escapes me at the moment, but he went to Old Mill High School. Also, on that team, Hibbs was sharing time more than he was tearing up the league.

The Maryland Monarchs play teams mostly around the MD/DC area.

Tyler Hibbs is a great H.S. player. I do think he is a 4th to 6th round pick. You are wrong on your facts though. Arundel was knocked out in the second round of the regional play-offs. ER or PG County beat Sherwood from Montgomery County for the 4A state title last year. Arundel won it in 2006.

Another kid that will be a high draft pick is Kevin Brady from Gaithersburg. He is committed to Clemson.

St. John's players are typically overrated. There is always alot of hype but' date=' most do not pan out. Example: Connor Hoehn last year. A lot of hype 12th round pick. Spaulding and Calvert Hall are the real deals.[/quote']

Yea, Kevin Brady is someone I face a lot also, because his team and mine are in the same Division. I attended a lot of his legion team, Post 104, games because I had a lot of teammates on 104. He is about 6-3, real big kid. He will certainly be a top 10 round draft pick. I think he topped out at 92, but what makes him so special is his accuracy. He doesn't miss a spot.

They had a guy back in '96 or '97, cant pinpoint the year, but anyway he got a lot of hype and I think had a full ride to UNC? But, he blew out his arm, something with his labrum. He threw 93-95 and big, strong righty. But other than that, no one has really come close.

I know Andy Bair was a beast back in HS. I think he graduated in '95. I don't think he went to UNC. He was drafted by the Marlins. Had a pretty nice signing bonus, and then threw out his arm.

I played baseball with his brith Steve. I think that is how you spell his last name.

They had another guy who I think was a better statistical pitcher that year, but I can't remember his name. I think his last name was McCall, but I could be wrong. I have a feeling it was Mc... just can't pinpoint it.

And BoomBoom, no one was Calvert Hall is in the Majors right now, which suprises me, because they have always had good teams. I believe in 97 we were ranked #5 in the country by USA Today for a period of time. We played two teams ranked in the top 20 in this tournament in NJ, beat them both. The week later we were ranked 5. (I was still a soph on JV). And then we held that spot for like 2 weeks or so and MSJ beat us in confrenece and they eneded up ranked 18th the next week. Go figure. :rolleyes:

There were a lot of good players on that team, including Bret Holmes (bretholmes4), he was a baller.

I know Andy Bair was a beast back in HS. I think he graduated in '95. I don't think he went to UNC. He was drafted by the Marlins. Had a pretty nice signing bonus, and then threw out his arm.

I played baseball with his brith Steve. I think that is how you spell his last name.

They had another guy who I think was a better statistical pitcher that year, but I can't remember his name. I think his last name was McCall, but I could be wrong. I have a feeling it was Mc... just can't pinpoint it.

And BoomBoom, no one was Calvert Hall is in the Majors right now, which suprises me, because they have always had good teams. I believe in 97 we were ranked #5 in the country by USA Today for a period of time. We played two teams ranked in the top 20 in this tournament in NJ, beat them both. The week later we were ranked 5. (I was still a soph on JV). And then we held that spot for like 2 weeks or so and MSJ beat us in confrenece and they eneded up ranked 18th the next week. Go figure. :rolleyes:

There were a lot of good players on that team, including Bret Holmes (bretholmes4), he was a baller.

That might be who im thinking off. But jsut becasue he didn't go to UNC, doesn't mean he didn't have a full ride their. He was probably going to go there, except he was drafted very high and decided to go Pro.

The Maryland Monarchs play teams mostly around the MD/DC area.

They always played in my legion team's (Pasadena Saints) memorial day invitational tournament. They're a pretty stacked team. The tiny Chesapeake high school field really provided a lot of longballs in that tournament.

Archived