Must be some very good local high School players because..

Just noticed that, Calvert Hall is Ranked as high as 2nd in the country. Is there any chance at all that we draft someone from a local high school this year.

Just curious, oh I forgot our scout(s) are too busy becasue we have sent all of them to the islands to look for potential draft picks there instead...

Thought we needed a different topic, most have been very redundant lately IMO

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calvert Hall is really good program last year their varsity, jv, and freshman teams went a combined 75-0. The best player's name is Kevin Lingerman, I know he has signed to play somewhere, but I cant think of where.

Another good local team is St. John's in DC. They have a stud pitcher in Scott Silverstein, who committed to VA, and L.J. Hoes an outfielder, who committed to UNC.

In Anne Arundel County probably the best seniors are:

LHP Paul DeVito (Archbishop Spalding)- committed to Radford

RHP Tyler Hibbs (Arundel)- committed to Florida State

SS Jeff Kemp (Archbishop Spalding)- committed to Radford

These are just my top three from Anne Arundel county.

IMO the order would be:

Scott Silverstein

LJ Hoes

Tyler Hibbs

Paul DeVito

Jeff Kemp

These are the best players I could think of off the top of my head.

How in the world did Radford University get those two guys? NCAA needs to look into some recruiting violations there.

How in the world did Radford University get those two guys? NCAA needs to look into some recruiting violations there.

Radford had 4 total players from Archbishop Spalidng commit, 1 from St Johns in DC and 1 from Riverdale Baptist in Upper Marlborro.

Archbishop Spalding

LHP Paul DeVito

RHP Jason Patton

SS Jeff Kemp

OF Matt Hillsinger

St. John's

3B Matt Mack

Riverdale Baptist

C Carl Travers

I just really don't like investing much in high school kids no matter how highly touted they come, anyone else feel this way?

For draft purposes, I agree with you. Obviously when you are a college coach, there is not much else to pick from when you are trying to build a solid foundation for you in seasons to come.

I doubt that there was any recruiting violations. Radford hired Joe Raccuia, who was Alabama's former recuriting coordinator, hitting instructor, and assistant coach. I've heard that he is great coach and really knows how to recruit, so I guess that is why he has gotten some of the best talent in there area to commit.

Calvert Hall is really good program last year their varsity, jv, and freshman teams went a combined 75-0. The best player's name is Kevin Lingerman, I know he has signed to play somewhere, but I cant think of where.

Another good local team is St. John's in DC. They have a stud pitcher in Scott Silverstein, who committed to VA, and L.J. Hoes an outfielder, who committed to UNC.

IMO the order would be:

Scott Silverstein

LJ Hoes

Tyler Hibbs

Paul DeVito

Jeff Kemp

Haha, I played with him when I was 10 years old ... and then again a few years later. He was pretty good (he was playing a few years up, and was definitely not the best on our team, but he was playing above his age level) but was really cocky. I'm sure he's probably changed since then.

Big leagues...did some research real quick:

"DeVito is the 45th ranked left handed pitcher in the country and the seventh best player in the state of Maryland. Travers is rated the 80th best catcher in the country and the 10th best player in Maryland."

"The Highlanders brought in five of the top 12 players in Maryland according to Perfect Game rankings. "

Brian Anderson and Allen Rice did most of the recruiting and supringly enough, to me, neither of those coaches are from Maryland. I'd say if those 5 players dont go pro Radford will have a nice squad next spring.

Radford had 4 total players from Archbishop Spalidng commit, 1 from St Johns in DC and 1 from Riverdale Baptist in Upper Marlborro.

Archbishop Spalding

LHP Paul DeVito

RHP Jason Patton

SS Jeff Kemp

OF Matt Hillsinger

St. John's

3B Matt Mack

Riverdale Baptist

C Carl Travers

I played with him too, for the last couple years. He's got a really nice left handed stroke and hits to all fields ... not very strong from what I remember though, small frame and doubles power at best.

I played with him too, for the last couple years. He's got a really nice left handed stroke and hits to all fields ... not very strong from what I remember though, small frame and doubles power at best.

He is really fast. I would probably say he runs under 6.8 60. I think I read somewhere that his 60 time was around 6.5, but don't hold me to that. He also led all of Anne Arundel County in hits last season.

I just really don't like investing much in high school kids no matter how highly touted they come, anyone else feel this way?

The New York Times ran an interesting retrospective on the Moneyball draft a few days ago that included this line:

"...Four of the seven players picked by Oakland (57 percent) among the first 39 picks in that draft have played in the majors, including Brown. Of the other 32 picks, 20 have played in the majors (62.5 percent).

The difference is in the number of high school players in those groups. Oakland drafted none while other teams selected 18, and 11 have played in the majors, including Prince Fielder, B. J. Upton, Cole Hamels, Scott Kazmir, James Loney, Jeff Francoeur, Matt Cain and Adam Loewen..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/sports/baseball/19chass.html?ref=sports

Just noticed that, Calvert Hall is Ranked as high as 2nd in the country. Is there any chance at all that we draft someone from a local high school this year.

Just curious, oh I forgot our scout(s) are too busy becasue we have sent all of them to the islands to look for potential draft picks there instead...

Thought we needed a different topic, most have been very redundant lately IMO

The O's have plenty of scouts in their own proverbial backyard. They have clip boards, stopwatches, and everything.

Is there a chance they draft someone local? Yup. Because they haven't publicized it, does that mean they're not paying attention? Nope. Does the #2 high school program in the country automatically turn out Major League talent? Also no.

While drafting local talent can be fun, I prefer the O's draft the best players available to suit their needs whether they're playing for Calvert Hall, in Calvert County, or Calverty City, Kentucky.

IMO the order would be:

Scott Silverstein

LJ Hoes

Tyler Hibbs

Paul DeVito

Jeff Kemp

Calvert Hall's best player is still a junior. He's a SS.

Archived