Roch: Josh Kusnick (Agent39) Speaks of Clevenger Demotion

weams

It may not be good for a borderline MLB player and his agent to complain about the organization, but it's not good in a "tire pressure light just came on and I have to put in some air" way, not in a "I just hit a bridge abutment at 65 mph" way. Borderline MLB players almost always think they're a hot two weeks from a nine-year career with $millions in salary (because sometimes they are), and their agents are paid to be their advocates.

Agents are paid to be the players advocate to the team not the media. Bad mouthing the team to the press seems counterproductive. It makes the player and agent unattractive to other teams.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agents are paid to be the players advocate to the team not the media. Bad mouthing the team to the press seems counterproductive. It makes the player and agent unattractive to other teams.

This is the biggest thing. When your guy is a AAAA player, and has an agent mouthing off about the team, I will look elsewhere for a AAAA player.

The agent probably believes (and not without cause) that complaining might force the team's hand, and get him released or traded and into an organization with more playing time for his client. If he produces nobody remembers the slight discomfort with a player whose agent is a little pushy.

This is the biggest thing. When your guy is a AAAA player, and has an agent mouthing off about the team, I will look elsewhere for a AAAA player.

Which is probably what he's hoping. I'd assume Clevenger wants to go to a team that has more use for a offense-first third catcher who can pinch hit for the pitcher, instead of driving back and forth to Norfolk.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Clevinger has the second best bat of all the catchers in the organization and the #1 bat is probably leaving after this year. You don't simply cut him as many have suggested on this thread. What you do is play him everyday at AAA so that he has an entire year to work on his defense. After this year, if his defense hasn't improved, cut away. But, for now, I believe he's a valuable piece for the O's future.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Clevinger has the second best bat of all the catchers in the organization and the #1 bat is probably leaving after this year. You don't simply cut him as many have suggested on this thread. What you do is play him everyday at AAA so that he has an entire year to work on his defense. After this year, if his defense hasn't improved, cut away. But, for now, I believe he's a valuable piece for the O's future.

He had the 2nd half of last season to work on his defense at AAA.

Look at the depth charts, there are two catchers already at AAA.

Clevenger hasn't hit at all at the ML level. He provides no power and defense that Buck obviously isn't happy with. Lavarnway has a reputation for sub par defense so that should tell us something.

He's not in their future plans. When Wieters comes back, he'll be 4th on the depth chart. I would not be surprised if the O's like Audry Perez more than Clevenger. I don't think he'll be with this organization by the weekend.

We shall see. In four years, he has had 341 plate appearances in the majors. 215 of those were in 2012. I think it's obvious by his use that the O's like his bat, at least for a backup catcher. The reason he hasn't played is his defense. I say give him another year unless the guys at Norfolk are potential starters.

Clevenger played in 22 ST games and had 40 at bats. That is more than any other O's catcher this spring. More have Joseph, Lavarnway, Arencibia or Ward. There have been many, many scouts a the ST games. If Clevenger skills were rated high he would be in demand from other clubs. The fact that he is still an Oriole when the O's have so many catchers does not speak highly about the demand for him.

I don't think his agent popping off to the media helps Clevenger much. It might hurt him. What team wants to trade for a marginal catcher who's agent would rather talk to the press than the club. The agent said in his statement he hasn't talked to the O's. Bad form IMO.

Agreed. Last year I heard Clevinger made some comments about where he was batting in the lineup that didn't sit well with Buck and he was demoted shortly thereafter. Now is agent is voicing concerns. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I doubt this will sit well with DD/Buck.

Agreed. Last year I heard Clevinger made some comments about where he was batting in the lineup that didn't sit well with Buck and he was demoted shortly thereafter. Now is agent is voicing concerns. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I doubt this will sit well with DD/Buck.

I saw comments in Roch's blog that Clevenger was in Buck's doghouse, because he had words with Wallace after a game last year and was demoted right after.

My thoughts on that as well as your post.

If Clevenger was in Buck's doghouse, why was he allowed as a non-roster player to be a part of the playoff team as a bullpen catcher. While not unheard of, it was a honor given to him.

Clevenger sucks behind the plate and cant keep ML players from stealing bases, hence, he isn't going to play for Buck, not in regular season.

I fully predict he is released, maybe even instead of JP. Sad.

I fully predict he is released, maybe even instead of JP. Sad.

That is what the agent wants. Why else say what he said unless he is trying to force the Orioles to do something? Not saying it will work.

It is pretty telling that the Orioles keep a guy on a minor league deal over him.

Clevenger hasn't hit at all at the ML level. He provides no power and defense that Buck obviously isn't happy with. Lavarnway has a reputation for sub par defense so that should tell us something.

He's not in their future plans. When Wieters comes back, he'll be 4th on the depth chart. I would not be surprised if the O's like Audry Perez more than Clevenger. I don't think he'll be with this organization by the weekend.

We shall see. In four years, he has had 341 plate appearances in the majors. 215 of those were in 2012. I think it's obvious by his use that the O's like his bat, at least for a backup catcher. The reason he hasn't played is his defense. I say give him another year unless the guys at Norfolk are potential starters.

I think the Orioles know he can hit. Very well for a catcher, not quite well enough to DH or play first. But it's also pretty obvious he can't field up to the Buck standard at catcher. If he was ever going to get playing time it was in a season where Wieters missed most of the year, and Joseph had about six weeks of his season where he hit .052. That he didn't play really tells me that he will never get significant time behind the plate for the Orioles.

I think the Orioles know he can hit. Very well for a catcher, not quite well enough to DH or play first. But it's also pretty obvious he can't field up to the Buck standard at catcher. If he was ever going to get playing time it was in a season where Wieters missed most of the year, and Joseph had about six weeks of his season where he hit .052. That he didn't play really tells me that he will never get significant time behind the plate for the Orioles.

I said at the time of his demotion last season.

Clevenger has played his last regular season game with the Orioles as catcher.

Sure, ST is different, they needed multiple guys.

They picked up four more catchers, was pretty telling how they felt about Steve's ability with the glove.

Archived