Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

Guest gausman37

No. Andrew Miller cost way too much money and our bullpen is adequate as-is. Apparently the Astros were willing to go even higher than New York but Miller wanted to play for the Yankees. Who knows if he would've been willing to take a similar discount to return to Baltimore anyway.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would love to have Miller but it's unlikely we could have gotten him unless we seriously outbid the Yankees. They will most likely run him into the ground before the year is up with a sub par starting rotation and Betances not what he was last year. In the mean time we are worse without him and they are better with him. We need to be creative in the pen. We need to find some wipeout guys in the system. Gausman should be one if he's not starting. Mike Wright and Mychal Givens are two other possibilities. Unfortunately, we don't have what we are really missing which is a wipeout lefty like Miller.

Yeah, it's kind of telling that Girardi used him for 1.2 innings to win a game in April. I foresee a fair amount of DL time towards the end of that contract

Buck is doing his best in his postgame interviews but Matusz should have faced Drew with the bases loaded tonight. Not Hunter! Buck thinks they would have pinch hit Headley if he would have brought him in to the game. Maybe....maybe not. Another tough loss. The pen has got to get better.
Almost surely I would think.

True. We are wasting some decent offense.

Doesn't matter. I think he made a mistake yesterday by using him for 2 IP and it was a calculated move tonight not bringing him in.

I'd much rather have Matusz facing a RHB the way he's been throwing than Hunter with his flat four seam FB facing Drew in that situation.

People complain about what we're paying Matusz but we're paying Hunter more. To me he was a better non tender candidate.

Not really. For this year, just non tendering or trading Hunter and Matusz would have saved 7-8M alone. Next year we have a lot of money coming off so we could have worked around his contract. Still, it would have been tough to sign him with the Yankees involved in the bidding.

I've been on record as wanting him for 4/36. What if we'd tried to lock him up immediately before waiting for the end of the season. If that would've been the highest contract ever for a non-closer maybe he would've taken it. I'd much rather have him in my bullpen than Hunter and O'Day.

Or if not in exchange for Hunter and O'Day, I would've been very happy trading Bud Norris and selling high after his career year. Heck, we might've even gotten back something of value to restock our farm system.

I've been on record as wanting him for 4/36. What if we'd tried to lock him up immediately before waiting for the end of the season. If that would've been the highest contract ever for a non-closer maybe he would've taken it. I'd much rather have him in my bullpen than Hunter and O'Day.

Or if not in exchange for Hunter and O'Day, I would've been very happy trading Bud Norris and selling high after his career year. Heck, we might've even gotten back something of value to restock our farm system.

I love Dan Duquette, but this is what creative mid-market organizations do. Constant retooling. Not just trading away prospects to make a run and letting everyone else leave via free agency.

How do you know that wasn't done and rejected by his agent?

Now, I am very aware that it MAY have taken more money for us to lock up Miller. But with that said...More or less money-wise... It's Miller and two min. salaries vs. Hunter, Matusz and Webb.

I know which I wanted then, and which I want now... Miller.

It wasn't mathematically feasible to keep Cruz. He cost too much. Miller cost too much. Winning doesn't matter if it costs money.

MSK

Just keep it simple and assume that what we spent is what DD had to work with for his payroll. Who would you have traded or cut so that we could keep Miller and/or Cruz? Your comments are easy to make if you assume our budget is infinite, but it isn't.

Bummer that it seems we don't have too many great bullpen options, while they are sitting there with Andrew Miller. By the way, we got hosed on that one call against Drew. Hunter threw a curveball on the outside corner for strike one, then threw another curveball, same pitch, same exact place, but called a ball. Should have been 0-2 at that point but it was 1-1. Not making any excuses for him, but I feel like that changed the momentum of the at bat. Just a crappy situation tonight, hopefully we'll still get 'em tomorrow.

The Orioles are paying almost 10m between three guys (Hunter, Wright, Matusz ) that Id take Andrew Miller over. Oh well.

If Miller would have pitched for a year or two at that money, I would have agreed with you completely. I really like him. But he can't do that every night. Thirty pitches puts you down for at least a day. He will not pitch 85 innings. You stay ahead and don't bobble or give up a grand slam and he means nothing.

If Miller would have pitched for a year or two at that money, I would have agreed with you completely. I really like him. But he can't do that every night. Thirty pitches puts you down for at least a day. He will not pitch 85 innings. You stay ahead, Davis runs into one and don't bobble or give up a grand slam and he means nothing.

I had a dream about Andrew last night. We were hanging out riding the bus to work and stuff - nice guy but really shy and disheveled in his dress. I didn't ask for his autograph...no-one noticed him either. :scratchchinhmm:

Miller is a lights out reliever.

I recall some posters were wanting to empty the bucket to pay him what he wanted.

I also remember some posters that said, relievers are a fickle bunch and they sometimes lose it pretty quickly after getting it and they almost are never worth the $$$$ they sign for.

Every time he pitches well, part of OH is going to say I told you so.

When Miller blows one, "if" he does, then than the other part will say see, I told you.

Archived