Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

He chose the Yankees and less money over the Astros and more money. That might say more about the Astros then it does about the Yankees.

I agree with you there. There's no way to say what Miller would have done if we had matched or slightly exceeded the Yankees' offer. The Astros are playing well now, but last fall they were a perennial doormat and it is not that surprising that Miller wanted to play for a perennial contender instead. He liked playing for the Orioles, by all accounts, so he might have considered Baltimore an attractive option if we had pursued him aggressively, which we didn't.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He chose the Yankees and less money over the Astros and more money. That might say more about the Astros then it does about the Yankees.
I think that at least part of it is that, with the Yankees, he had a chance to become the closer. Robertson, the former Yankees's closer signed with the White Sox to become the Sox's closer. Miller is now the Yankees's closer.

I think that at least part of it is that, with the Yankees, he had a chance to become the closer. Robertson, the former Yankees's closer signed with the White Sox to become the Sox's closer. Miller is now the Yankees's closer.

If the O's were smart they would have used Miller as the closer.

I also don't think he was a lock to be the closer when signed. I think Betances' early struggles cemented it. I expect Betances to get more saves as the season progresses.

If the O's were smart they would have used Miller as the closer.
Why? What's wrong with Zach Britton? He is doing a perfectly good job as our closer and there is no reason to move him from the closer's role.
I also don't think he was a lock to be the closer when signed. I think Betances' early struggles cemented it. I expect Betances to get more saves as the season progresses.
I don't think that he was a lock, either. But I believe that Miller thought he had a good chance to get to the closer's role.

Why? What's wrong with Zach Britton? He is doing a perfectly good job as our closer and there is no reason to move him from the closer's role. I don't think that he was a lock, either. But I believe that Miller thought he had a good chance to get to the closer's role.

Who gets more money in arbitration?

The guy that puts up great numbers and pitches in the 8th or the guy that puts up great numbers and pitches in the 9th.

?In the total package, there were things that the Yankees could offer me that no one else could,? Miller told Fox Sports? Ken Rosenthal. ?I live in Tampa (the Yanks? spring home). That?s two months at home that I don?t have otherwise.?

- Andrew Miller

Andrew Miller will not make the 4 year deal look very attractive by its conclusion. We got exactly what we needed from him against Detroit.

That's what playoff teams do. Miller will not be in the playoffs during the life span of his deal. We will on multiple occasions. Go Os!!!

Andrew Miller will not make the 4 year deal look very attractive by its conclusion. We got exactly what we needed from him against Detroit.

That's what playoff teams do. Miller will not be in the playoffs during the life span of his deal. We will on multiple occasions. Go Os!!!

I think it's more likely that Miller will sustain an arm injury than it is that the Yankees won't make the playoffs for four more years.

Pretty sure the hour commute to Sarasota or the 70 minute commute to Kissimmee wouldn't have killed him.

(40 and 45 minutes if Puig is driving)

Gotta get up awfully early to drive an hour and make it to the clubhouse by 7 a.m. I'm sure he could do it, but why bother if you don't have to.

Gotta get up awfully early to drive an hour and make it to the clubhouse by 7 a.m. I'm sure he could do it, but why bother if you don't have to.

You think they have to show up two hours before first practice?

You also know if you are on the road that early it doesn't take an hour to get there. Maybe 30 minutes difference...big whoop. I knew a guy in Norfolk who commuted back and forth to North Carolina five days a week.

For some reason his contract reminds me of BJ Ryan. Remember how O's fans freaked out when the Blue Jays signed him?

He might be really solid for four years, the talent is there and he isn't prohibitively old.

Still wouldn't be a good deal for the O's.

For some reason his contract reminds me of BJ Ryan. Remember how O's fans freaked out when the Blue Jays signed him?

He was really, really good. And Left-handed. With a very short resume of high leverage work. And even shorter as a closer.

Archived