For What it's worth.....

Belkast

Walker, Bradford and Sherrill can/should be dealt over the next year.

I agree with Walker and Bradford but who do you replace Sherrill with? We don't have a LHP that can take his place in the system. It makes no sense to trade him now, and then have to trade another prospect to get a pitcher like him back when we are competitive. We should just keep him, because although he is a luxury now, we will need him in a couple of years, or depending on how the team looks, as soon as next year.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, if we are going 5 for 2 it will look more like:

Roberts/Payton for Gallagher/Cedeno/Patterson/Ceda/Marquis (with the caveat that I hate the idea of getting Marquis back in a deal).

I have not been for this trade, but the rumbles are definitely getting louder and the elements seem to be falling into place. Roberts' fast start and Derosa's health might allow the Cubs to give up Colvin. The second guy in this trade is very important to MacPhail.

I could see Gallagher, Colvin or Veal, Murton, Cedeno, Patterson and Dempster for Roberts and Payton. 6-2 is MacPhail style and the last 4 are all surplus players that the Cubs probably would love to get any kind of value for.

Payton for Dempster is close to an even swap of salaries. I don't see MacPhail taking on Marquis salary. Dempster adds to the late inning bullpen and probably becomes the O's closer.

With Baez and Ray starting the year of the 60 day DL and Gibbons starting on the Restricted List which is not part of the 40 man roster plus the departure of Roberts and Payton, the O's can add five to the 40 man roster without waiving anyone. By April 15 Patton may be added to the 60 day DL but in any case the O's will have a chance to evaluate who they keep and who they waive until that time.

The real roster competition would be the 25 man roster were Aquino, Sarfate and Bierd would be fighting to 2 relief spots. Also Cedeno, Patterson, Bynum and Luis Hernandez would fight for the three middle infield and utility infield spots. I am not sure if Patterson has options left or not but I am pretty sure that the other three have no options. LH should fly through waivers if that is what the O's decide to do.

Gallagher would join the young pitchers fighting over the fifth starter and long relief spots but he probably starts the year at AAA.

I still am not a big supporter of this trade but I can see MacPhail liking the quantity, the upgrade to the team in several areas and if the Cubs add Colvin or Veal to increase the long term potential of the acquired players I can see MacPhail pulling the trigger.

I have not been for this trade, but the rumbles are definitely getting louder and the elements seem to be falling into place. Roberts' fast start and Derosa's health might allow the Cubs to give up Colvin. The second guy in this trade is very important to MacPhail.

I could see Gallagher, Colvin or Veal, Murton, Cedeno, Patterson and Dempster for Roberts and Payton. 6-2 is MacPhail style and the last 4 are all surplus players that the Cubs probably would love to get any kind of value for.

Payton for Dempster is close to an even swap of salaries. I don't see MacPhail taking on Marquis salary. Dempster adds to the late inning bullpen and probably becomes the O's closer.

With Baez and Ray starting the year of the 60 day DL and Gibbons starting on the Restricted List which is not part of the 40 man roster plus the departure of Roberts and Payton, the O's can add five to the 40 man roster without waiving anyone. By April 15 Patton may be added to the 60 day DL but in any case the O's will have a chance to evaluate who they keep and who they waive until that time.

The real roster competition would be the 25 man roster were Aquino, Sarfate and Bierd would be fighting to 2 relief spots. Also Cedeno, Patterson, Bynum and Luis Hernandez would fight for the three middle infield and utility infield spots. I am not sure if Patterson has options left or not but I am pretty sure that the other three have no options. LH should fly through waivers if that is what the O's decide to do.

Gallagher would join the young pitchers fighting over the fifth starter and long relief spots but he probably starts the year at AAA.

I still am not a big supporter of this trade but I can see MacPhail liking the quantity, the upgrade to the team in several areas and if the Cubs add Colvin or Veal to increase the long term potential of the aquired players I can see MacPhail pulling the trigger.

Right now, I can't see the Cubs trading Dempster. He is penciled in to be the #3 starter in the rotation. He could be a trade candidate, if Lieber, Marquis, or Hart step up and really show something in the spring. Unless the Cubs have a deal in the works for a righty starter, I think Dempster stays.

I like it. I think it is fair for both sides. The only gripe I would have is if they took Veal instead of Ceda. I do not like Veal in this deal unless it is Veal and Ceda. That may be too much to ask though. :D

Let's hope our friends from Chicago agree. :)

I agree with Walker and Bradford but who do you replace Sherrill with? We don't have a LHP that can take his place in the system. It makes no sense to trade him now, and then have to trade another prospect to get a pitcher like him back when we are competitive. We should just keep him, because although he is a luxury now, we will need him in a couple of years, or depending on how the team looks, as soon as next year.

First of all, worrying about which arm the pitcher throws with is pointless.

Secondly, you have no idea what path a guy like Olson is going to take.

We also have Sarfate, he may be able to take his place.

You also have the draft the next few years and FA.

Worrying about replacing Sherrill is about 1049 on the list of things to worry about right now.

Really?

That might come as some pretty important news to about 30 GMs and another 30 managers.

If they were intelligent GM's/managers, they shouldn't lend much creedence to which arm a pitchers throws with. I would hope they would look for the best arms overall, regardless of which hand releases the ball.

Right now, I can't see the Cubs trading Dempster. He is penciled in to be the #3 starter in the rotation. He could be a trade candidate, if Lieber, Marquis, or Hart step up and really show something in the spring. Unless the Cubs have a deal in the works for a righty starter, I think Dempster stays.

The only reason Dempster is listed as the # 3 right now is Lou wants to break up LHP's Lilly and Hill. Technically, Dempster is third in the rotation...but Hill is the # 3 starter. (If that makes sense.)

First of all, worrying about which arm the pitcher throws with is pointless.

I'll give you an example:

David Ortiz 2007

vs. LHP

.308 BA, .390 OBP, .462 SLG, .852 OPS

vs. RHP

.343 BA, .471 OBP, .700 SLG, 1.170 OPS

2006-2007 vs. George Sherrill

1-5 with a 2B and 2Ks, 0 R, 0 RBI

That's just one, but Ortiz is an Oriole killer. And facing Ortiz will be important in two years.

That's just one, but Ortiz is an Oriole killer. And facing Ortiz will be important in two years.

How will it be important in two years?

You have to be kidding? First of all who says Ortiz will be playing in two years.

If we are more concerned about Ortiz in two years than adding more prospects now we will continue to be a losing franchise.

Walker, Bradford and Sherrill all should frontrunners to get traded for young prospects. When we got Sherrill I understood it is as a player we would flip sooner than later for more young prospects.

Yes it is...Marquis is terrible and may have no value at the deadline and you still have him for another year.

I never thought I would be defending Jason Marquis. As I posted earlier, Marquis is overpaid and underperforming, but he is a first half pitcher and an innings eater. If the O's got him, I'm sure it would be to flip him at the trade deadline. Below are some stats for some #3, #4, and #5 starters over the last three years before the All Star game:

Marquis - 4.41 (ERA) 25-17 (W/L) 333 (IP) .250 (BAA)

Contreras (WS) 4.25 18-15 311 .249

Suppan (Brew.) 4.98 23-20 319 .297

WestBrook (Ind.) 4.74 14-19 279 .259

Williams (Astros) 4.45 13-16 244 .271

L. Hernandez (Twins) 4.59 23-16 363 .293

Maddux (Padres) 4.48 22-21 335 .283

O. Hernandez (Mets) 4.42 16-14 232 .258

Marquis is what he is, a #4 or #5 starter. If he performs at his career averages for the first half of the season, I would think there will be teams interested in him at the trade deadline.

I agree, if we are going 5 for 2 it will look more like:

Roberts/Payton for Gallagher/Cedeno/Patterson/Ceda/Marquis (with the caveat that I hate the idea of getting Marquis back in a deal).

This is about the only realistic idea on here involving 5 (or more!) Cubs players coming to Baltimore.

If you get 5...

Gallagher and Cedeno are the first two, as always.

Marquis will almost certainly be one.

One will be a non-40 guy not named Veal or Colvin or Ceda.

And the 5th will be a guy like Patterson or Fontenot or something like that, or maybe another non-40 guy like Burke or Fox or perhaps another pitcher.

You guys thinking you will get 5 guys without taking either Marquis or a lesser player is just not realistic. 5 of the top 6 or 7 under discussion here is not happening.

*Maybe* the Cubs would do Gallagher, Cedeno, Ceda, Fontenot for your two, if the O's would prefer Ceda instead of two lesser prospects.

Archived