Trade Idea-Tommy Hunter

Rene88

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hunter doesn't have much value on his contract. He's about a .5 WAR player (give or take)' date=' and he's getting paid at about that level, if not a little more.[/quote']

That was my thought (not really any return). The Nats could really use Hunter honestly. I think they might overpay. Now what does "overpay" mean..who knows.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Tommy traded.

Someone in the bullpen pretty much has to get traded or DFA'd if no one gets hurt. After the first extra innings game or 2 games in a row where the bullpen gets taxed Dan and Buck are going to want a fresh arm in there. Right now the only option is to send Gausman down. No one else in the bullpen has options (I don't think).

Sure, he seems expendable and moving him would free up money. I doubt we would get anything for him for that reason. Similar to Matusz except that he is righty. If we were going to move him, the time to do so would have been in March before Verrett had to be put on waivers. I am guessing we are stuck with Tommy at least through June.

Hunter doesn't have much value on his contract. He's about a .5 WAR player (give or take)' date=' and he's getting paid at about that level, if not a little more.[/quote']

In his two years as a reliever Hunter has been worth 0.6 and 2.0 rWAR and 0.6 and 0.7 fWAR. That is not a .5 WAR player give or take. That is you, intentionally or not, shorting his value since you are only "taking" from what he has actually done in the past and not "giving" any.

I know he is off to a rough start, but Hunter has a proven track record.

I am thinking the Nats might be interested...any value here? thoughts?

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2015/04/craig-stammens-season-potentially-ends-with-torn-flexor.html

I don't know if the Os will actually trade with the Nats given the current legal situation.

What exactly would we want to get? Another Brian Ward? OF depth in the minors?

We want to trade Webb, Matusz, Hunter....we just going to rely on Britton, Gausman, and ODay in the pen?

Most ppl wanted to keep Miller and we couldn't, so instead of trying to replace him (forget Wright) we want to trade the rest of the depth?

Completely different circumstances. Strop was cost effective and had many years of control left. Hunter is expensive and a free agent to be.

Correct contract wise.

However, Strop was effective here, got wild and the fans fell out of favor with him, forgetting what he had done for them.

I see similar things with Hunter and fans forgetting what he has done for the team.

What exactly would we want to get? Another Brian Ward? OF depth in the minors?

We want to trade Webb, Matusz, Hunter....we just going to rely on Britton, Gausman, and ODay in the pen?

Most ppl wanted to keep Miller and we couldn't, so instead of trying to replace him (forget Wright) we want to trade the rest of the depth?

Trading of ancillary veterans was necessitated by not having enough roster spots for everybody. And also not having players in the bullpen with options to ship them out if a fresh arm was needed.

Correct contract wise.

However, Strop was effective here, got wild and the fans fell out of favor with him, forgetting what he had done for them.

I see similar things with Hunter and fans forgetting what he has done for the team.

It has/had nothing to do with forgetting what they have done. Hunter hasn't reached Strop level where he costs us a few games but it could get to that point.

It has/had nothing to do with forgetting what they have done. Hunter hasn't reached Strop level where he costs us a few games but it could get to that point.

Not yet, and I hope it doesn't.

But, you have to admit, allot of Hunter fans have started to fall out of favor with the guy, i guess, it's the old adage, what have you done for me lately.

Archived