Trade Idea-Tommy Hunter

Rene88

In his two years as a reliever Hunter has been worth 0.6 and 2.0 rWAR and 0.6 and 0.7 fWAR. That is not a .5 WAR player give or take. That is you, intentionally or not, shorting his value since you are only "taking" from what he has actually done in the past and not "giving" any.

There isn't a single team in baseball that would project Hunter as a 2 WAR player. They would all put him at about .5 WAR, give or take (the .6 to .7). ZIPS and Steamer have him at .3 to .4 for this season. If the O's went to a negotiating table with a 2 WAR valuation, they would get laughed out of the room.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There isn't a single team in baseball that would project Hunter as a 2 WAR player. They would all put him at about .5 WAR' date=' give or take (the .6 to .7). ZIPS and Steamer have him at .3 to .4 for this season. If the O's went to a negotiating table with a 2 WAR valuation, they would get laughed out of the room.[/quote']

At 4.64, they are not going to find takers around the league, unless the Orioles send $$$ and there isn't any reason for that.

There isn't a single team in baseball that would project Hunter as a 2 WAR player. They would all put him at about .5 WAR' date=' give or take (the .6 to .7). ZIPS and Steamer have him at .3 to .4 for this season. If the O's went to a negotiating table with a 2 WAR valuation, they would get laughed out of the room.[/quote']

I don't think there are any teams who'd have wildly different valuations of Hunter than the fans or the Orioles' organization. He's a pretty good reliever, no more, no less. He's worth maybe $3-5M a year on the open market, with the caveat that you can find pretty good relievers for much less without a lot of difficulty. If they want to trade him that's fine, but you can't expect to get back a player with much more than an AAV of $5M, or one win.

I know he is off to a rough start, but Hunter has a proven track record.

I am thinking the Nats might be interested...any value here? thoughts?

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2015/04/craig-stammens-season-potentially-ends-with-torn-flexor.html

When I saw that Stammen was hurt, my first thought was about trading Matusz to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is simply that he doesn't have a history of earning 0.5 WAR or less as a reliever. To say that he is a .5 WAR reliever give or take suggest otherwise, and thus is disingenuous. I don't mean to be pedantic with the difference between 0.5 and 0.6 or 0.7 (and 2.0 certainly feels like an outlier), but it bugs me when people use actual numbers and skew them downward or upward in a misleading way to support their (now faulty) argument. Just use his actual numbers. When people say that Adam Jones is a .300 hitter or Ryan Flaherty is a .200 hitter, it results in us being less informed or causes us to waste our time looking it up. I frequently see posters citing numbers that are surprising to me and so I look them up, and more often than not they are exaggerated to support the poster's point of view, and that is frustrating to me.

Stammen is right handed.

Correct, but he's also a guy who goes several innings. If they view Matusz as a guy who's not quite a starter, but can make it through a roster one time, then they could have similar roles.

However, Roark probably fills that role right now.

I don't think there are any teams who'd have wildly different valuations of Hunter than the fans or the Orioles' organization. He's a pretty good reliever, no more, no less. He's worth maybe $3-5M a year on the open market, with the caveat that you can find pretty good relievers for much less without a lot of difficulty. If they want to trade him that's fine, but you can't expect to get back a player with much more than an AAV of $5M, or one win.

I would tend to agree with this. The one thing that benefits the O's here, though, is that we are not in an open market situation where teams can freely sign Tommy Hunter. A team that needs help in the BP and believes they need someone like TH would have to give something of value (albeit possibly little value) to get him.

My point is simply that he doesn't have a history of earning 0.5 WAR or less as a reliever. To say that he is a .5 WAR reliever give or take suggest otherwise, and thus is disingenuous. I don't mean to be pedantic with the difference between 0.5 and 0.6 or 0.7 (and 2.0 certainly feels like an outlier), but it bugs me when people use actual numbers and skew them downward or upward in a misleading way to support their (now faulty) argument. Just use his actual numbers. When people say that Adam Jones is a .300 hitter or Ryan Flaherty is a .200 hitter, it results in us being less informed or causes us to waste our time looking it up. I frequently see posters citing numbers that are surprising to me and so I look them up, and more often than not they are exaggerated to support the poster's point of view, and that is frustrating to me.

What does it matter what he has done in the past? The OP is talking about his current trade value. So the most logical thing to do would be to project what his trade value would be at the negotiating table. That's going to be somewhere between 3 to 6 million dollars. Which means he doesn't have much, if any, meat on the bone. He's getting paid exactly like he should be paid. The 2 WAR is irrelevant to his trade value.

Correct, but he's also a guy who goes several innings. If they view Matusz as a guy who's not quite a starter, but can make it through a roster one time, then they could have similar roles.

However, Roark probably fills that role right now.

I don't think they are fooling anyone with Matusz can go multiple innings, at least not us Oriole fans. He looked great in ST....

Archived