What to do about the bullpen?

Crazysilver03

Matusz pitched really well yesterday. Came in with runners on second and third and one out. Mariners were already up 5-2. Another run or two and probably the Orioles never catch up. In hindsight ,maybe better if they did not. Bullpen for today's game ,unless they fly someone into Seattle is Britton,O'Day and maybe Givens for an inning. Gausman goes short and Garcia almost has to pitch. Palmer mentioned the bullpen has been in many high leverage games and some of them look a little tired. You can blame TJ,but he is the long man who has been in 2 games in three days. The bullpen makeup might have cost us yesterday's or Sunday's game. The starters have to go deeper or the Orioles are done. Trying to hide Garcia for another 18 days is not good. They can have Lake go down for 18 days. What does he really bring to the team. Maybe he has to be here since DD got him. if I get them ,they must come up.

Matusz might be in the rotation for the Oakland series. Tillman is hurt/and or continues to struggle this year. Getting hit hard. Oakland has a LH lineup. Could be the type of crazy spot start that works out.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FWIW, I'm strictly speaking about this season.

So far this year DFA'd:

Cabrera

De Aza

Young

Parmelee

Snider

Norris

Traded Hunter for Junior Lake

For some ungodly reason called Junior Lake up when we're playing down a bullpen arm for Garcia

And now we have McFarland up here instead of guys like Oliver Drake, Steve Johnson or really anyone that has a decent SO/9 in a bullpen role.

Go ahead and add Reimold to that list. He's done. He just doesn't have the hit tool anymore. He's no threat with the bat. He can take pitches, get into good counts and then do nothing with meat pitches.

I thought Macfarland pitched ok last night ad soe real bad luck. He is what he is though a guy that can give you 2 innigs or so will ive up is hits and not a strike out guy. Laast night was a bloop opposite field for a doube then a chopper which is an easy play if Manny is back and not playing the bunt. He was then either going to k zunino or walk the bases loaded to allow the force. The one issue I have is Garcia here if you are not going to use him you have to have an extra reliever. If you look at just last nights game we never used the bench anyway except for Caleb which was an injury move. The outfielders are all the same so you rarely pinch hit for them.

o

(vs. ATHLETICS, 8/14)

Excellent job by the bullpen to hold the fort TWICE tonight.

1) 3 shutout innings after starter Ubaldo Jimenez was only able to go 5 innings.

2) 4 additional shutout innings after Ace Zach Britton had a rare blown save.

That's a lot of resilience for one game. :clap3:

The team should option Junior Lake and call up another reliever (Cesar Cabral or Oliver Drake, for instance). The bullpen has been taxed and they are playing a man short with Garcia taking up a spot.

Drake has pitched the last two nights in AAA. Cabral has given up 3 runs in his last two outings. He's lost the strikezone. I'd be in favor of sending Lake down because we don't face a LHP until 8/21. SJ isn't coming up until September 1st, since he is out of options. I could see Rondon coming up for tomorrow's game and then being sent down after the game for Drake until we need a RH bat next friday.

o

(AUGUST 21st)

In my rat's ass of an opinion, this team could get by with 2 slightly-above-average starters and 3 average starters ..... or 1 good starter, 1 pretty good starter, 2 average starters, and perhaps even 1 bad starter.

Some type of combination like that, which we aren't getting ...... because we HAVE NOT been getting that, and we have still been doing fairly well in the W-L column as of late. That's how good our bullpen is.

Let Jones pitch the 8th :D

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Actual footage of <a href="https://twitter.com/DODay56">@DODay56</a> pitching in the eighth inning. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RoyalRevenge?src=hash">#RoyalRevenge</a> <a href="http://t.co/MFEKVgb1q8">pic.twitter.com/MFEKVgb1q8</a></p>— Orioles on MASN (@masnOrioles) <a href="

">August 27, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived