T.J McFarland

Diehard_O's_Fan

He has been very solid I like him up here but the we have about 3 or 4 guys I think are about the same spot starter slash long man in McFarland, Wright, Wilson, and Worley. I would just keep a rotating door with those guys in the pen and one as a fifth starter and the other two in Norfolk staying stretched out to come up and start if need be.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has been very solid I like him up here but the we have about 3 or 4 guys I think are about the same spot starter slash long man in McFarland, Wright, Wilson, and Worley. I would just keep a rotating door with those guys in the pen and one as a fifth starter and the other two in Norfolk staying stretched out to come up and start if need be.

I would keep them all up here.

As I've stated numerous times before, you can never have too many long men in the bullpen ...... and that is ESPECIALLY TRUE with the 2016 Orioles. Last night, Tillman only went 5.67, and the night before Jimenez only went 5. We have Gallardo, whom we don't know yet if his shoulder can gives us anything more than about 5 or 5.33 or 5.67 innings every time out.

I think that we're going to just have to wing it until things become more clear a few weeks into the season ...... things such as who will be our regular 4th and 5th starters, will Gausman be back at 100%, is Gallardo's shoulder going to be a major factor with his durability in regard to going deep in any of his starts, etc ...... until then, we need as many long men/spot starters as we can possibly keep on the 25-man roster.

As I've stated numerous times before, you can never have too many long men in the bullpen ...... and that is ESPECIALLY TRUE with the 2016 Orioles. Last night, Tillman only went 5.67, and the night before Jimenez only went 5. We have Gallardo, whom we don't know yet if his shoulder can gives us anything more than about 5 or 5.33 or 5.67 innings every time out.

I think that we're going to just have to wing it until things become more clear a few weeks into the season ...... things such as who will be our regular 4th and 5th starters, will Gausman be back at 100%, is Gallardo's shoulder going to be a major factor in his durability to go deep in any of his starts, etc ...... until then, we need as many long men/spot starters as we can possibly keep on the 25-man roster.

It's certainly looking that way right now, with the starters averaging 4.89 IP/start. I'd be in no hurry to make room for Matusz, for sure, until the starting pitchers start getting a bit deeper into the games.

o

4 OUTS: 2 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 1 Flyout

TIMOTHY JOHN McFARLAND O (vs. RED SOX, 4/12)

IP:. 1.33 *

H:;; 1 ll(1 Single)

R:l) 0

BB: 0

SO: 0

Pitches: 11 (7 Strikes, 4 Balls)

2016 ERA: 1.80

* McFarland entered the game with a runner on 2nd base, and 1 out.

PITCHES BY INNING

6 (3 Strikes, 3 Balls) **

5 (4 Strikes, 1 Balls) ***

** McFarland recorded 2 outs in the 8th inning.

*** McFarland recorded 2 outs in the 9th inning before departing.

o

3 OUTS: 1 Strikeout, 1 Groundout, 1 Flyout

TIMOTHY JOHN McFARLAND O (vs. RANGERS, 4/14)

IP:. 1

H:;; 0 ll

BB: 1

SO: 1

Pitches: 14 (8 Strikes, 6 Balls)

2016 ERA: 1.50

PITCHES BY INNING

14 (8 Strikes, 6 Balls)

(vs. RANGERS, 4/15)

After back-to-back solid outings, McFarland had a very bad game last night.

His failure to cover 1st base on the first of consecutive ground balls that he induced augmented his ineffectiveness.

In 5 outings so far this season McFarland has had 3 good games, 1 not so good game, and 1 really bad game.

o

15 OUTS: 9 Groundouts, 2 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Caught Stealing

TIMOTHY JOHN McFARLAND O (vs. ROYALS, 4/22)

IP:. 5

H:;; 3 ll(1 Double, 2 Singles)

BB: 0

SO: 1

Pitches: 66 (40 Strikes, 26 Balls)

2016 ERA: 3.18

PITCHES BY INNING

16 (11 Strikes, 5 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 4 Balls)

15 (10 Strikes, 5 Balls)

13 (71 Strikes, 6 Balls)

11 (51 Strikes, 6 Balls)

I would keep them all up here.

I think that we're going to just have to wing it until things become more clear a few weeks into the season ...... things such as who will be our regular 4th and 5th starters, will Gausman be back at 100%, is Gallardo's shoulder going to be a major factor with his durability in regard to going deep in any of his starts, etc ...... until then, we need as many long men/spot starters as we can possibly keep on the 25-man roster.

I believe that last night's game exemplifies the importance of a rotation that is questionable at best (and in a shambles at worst) needing to have as many long relievers as possible.

Another poster half seriously/half-kidding stated that we have about seven #5 starters a few days ago ...... but it really was not that much of an exaggeration. We have Tillman and Jimenez, both of whom are probably #3 or #4 starters at the moment ...... and then we have everybody else, with Showalter essentially winging it with piecemeal pitchers that are a cross between #5 starters/spot starters/long relievers.

Weak schedule or not, I think the fact that the Orioles are 10-5 with the starting rotation being up in the air as much as it has been is a great thing for the team. If the starting rotation stabilizes even a little bit over the next 2 weeks with Gausman coming back and the Tyler Wilson/Mike Wright/Vance Worley situation panning out, this team (with its offense, its defense, and its bullpen) will be tough to beat.

• 3 weeks later...

o

16 OUTS: 8 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Flyouts, 2 Strikeouts, 1 Out Going From 1st to 3rd on a Single

TIMOTHY JOHN McFARLAND O (vs. AAA-Charlotte, 5/10)

IP:. 5.33

H:;; 5 ll(5 Singles)

BB: 1

SO: 2

Pitches: 73 (46 Strikes, 27 Balls)

2016 ERA: 0.00 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

15 (81 Strikes, 7 Balls)

61 (41 Strikes, 2 Balls)

10 (61 Strikes, 4 Balls)

21 (14 Strikes, 7 Balls)

12 (71 Strikes, 5 Balls)

91 (71 Strikes, 2 Balls) *

* McFarland recorded 1 out before departing in the 6th inning.

o

17 out of the 23 outs that McFarland recorded came via the ground ball.

23 OUTS: 14 Groundouts (Including 3 Double Plays), 3 Poputs, 2 Flyouts, 1 Lineout

TIMOTHY JOHN McFARLAND O (vs. AAA-Charlotte, 5/10)

IP:. 7.67

H:;; 7 ll(1 Home Run, 2 Doubles, 4 Singles)

R:l) 1

BB: 1 *

SO: 0

Pitches: 88 (50 Strikes, 38 Balls)

2016 ERA: 0.69 (AAA-Norfolk)

* McFarland also had 2 Hit Batsmen

PITCHES BY INNING

81 (71 Strikes, 1 Balls)

14 (61 Strikes, 8 Balls)

11 (71 Strikes, 4 Balls)

81 (41 Strikes, 4 Balls)

18 (10 Strikes, 8 Balls)

81 (41 Strikes, 4 Balls)

91 (61 Strikes, 3 Balls)

12 (61 Strikes, 6 Balls) **

** McFarland recorded 2 outs before departing in the 8th inning.

Total definition of a 4A player?

I think something clicked this year or in the offseason. His fastball was showing better velocity and more life. Don't sleep on him as a SP. I could tell by his outings I was from him this year that he would put up big numbers in AAA this year if he went down there to start.

The guy has a 3.95 ERA in 187 MLB innings. We could be seeing a guy that got his feet wet in the pen and figured out how to pitch in the MLB. He will be a cheap reliever for us for a few more years. He could also be a 4/5 guy. He's always had nice sink. Sinkerballer's with our IF defense is a very good combo.

Archived