MASN: Free Agents

weams

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not intrested in overpaying Wieters for one year so he can showcase himself for his next team while Caleb Joseph goes back to playing once a week. Thanks for the memories!

This is me too. I was going to post something very similar before seeing this post, but you nailed it. Why waste Joseph so that Wieters can rebuild his value? We're not a team in position to be providing good will to anyone anymore. If he wants to stay here, make him sign a 3 year extension.

Sounds like a fair figure.

I could see that too. And thanks for the detailed response. As I said, I was just curious although I know that you're not fond of backing up the Brinks truck for any reliever, which I also think is wise. While we would 'hate' to lose a player of Chen's caliber, personally I will really hate to lose Mr. Odachowski, as I think he's not only a fan favorite but highly and consistently effective.

I would hope that since his FB is not his out pitch, and as a ground ball pitcher he could still theoretically have another 3-4 effective years in his tank. I wouldn't overpay for him, but I would pay market value, I think, especially if that's basically what De Aza earns.

Taking a look at the roster, the following spots will be filled:

C- Caleb Joseph

C- Clevenger, Perez, O'Brien

2B- Jonathan Schoop

SS- J.J. Hardy

3B- Manny Machado

OF- Adam Jones

OF- Travis Snider

OF- David Lough

INF- Ryan Flaherty

SP- Chris Tillman

SP- Ubaldo Jimenez

SP- Miguel Gonzalez

SP- Kevin Gausman

SP- Bundy, Wright, Davies

RP- Zach Britton

RP- Brad Brach

RP- T.J. MacFarland

Generally, that means we are missing 1B, OF, a bench bat, and several bullpen arms. Some of the pen arms can be filled by the likes of Wright, Davies, Drake, Wilson, Garcia, etc.

To me, I don't know if many of our free agents are all that crucial to resign, depending on who fills the other positions. If we have control of Parmelee next year, he may not be a bad bench bat. Or Reimold. I'd like to see Alvarez and/or Walker pick it up and make themselves a viable option for one of the two other open spots.

I could see that too. And thanks for the detailed response. As I said, I was just curious although I know that you're not fond of backing up the Brinks truck for any reliever, which I also think is wise. While we would 'hate' to lose a player of Chen's caliber, personally I will really hate to lose Mr. Odachowski, as I think he's not only a fan favorite but highly and consistently effective.

I would hope that since his FB is not his out pitch, and as a ground ball pitcher he could still theoretically have another 3-4 effective years in his tank. I wouldn't overpay for him, but I would pay market value, I think, especially if that's basically what De Aza earns.

I am firmly in the Rather a year early then a year late camp.

You are saying that if the MASN dispute is resolved in the MLB/Nationals favor that you don't anticipate an 85 million dollar payroll?

Are you expecting that the MASN resolution will force the Orioles to subsidize their network so they can pay the Nats more than MASN could afford on their own? I find it hard to believe that they'll need to cut $30M+ from the payroll. To me, what's most likely is that the Nats will get more money than the O's baseline, but not more than MASN can support. Now... in a few years when the cable bubble bursts and all RSNs become quasi-insolvent, then maybe teams across the league will have some rejiggering to do with payrolls.

Are you expecting that the MASN resolution will force the Orioles to subsidize their network so they can pay the Nats more than MASN could afford on their own? I find it hard to believe that they'll need to cut $30M+ from the payroll. To me, what's most likely is that the Nats will get more money than the O's baseline, but not more than MASN can support. Now... in a few years when the cable bubble bursts and all RSNs become quasi-insolvent, then maybe teams across the league will have some rejiggering to do with payrolls.

But so many people had Orioles spending MASN money to take this payroll higher than high. :)

Archived