Adam Jones came up huge the last two nights

Frobby

After an 83-at bat homer drought, Adam Jones hit home runs on consecutive nights. But it's the timing of them that was important. Both broke a 2-2 tie, and put us ahead to stay. The first one helped end a five game losing streak. The second one came after Tillman had (once again) lost the lead. Both felt to me like they completely changed the momentum of the game. And, thankfully, the bullpen shut the door both times.

Adam is the straw that stirs the drink on this team. When he's hitting, the whole team seems energized.

After an 83-at bat homer drought, Adam Jones hit home runs on consecutive nights. But it's the timing of them that was important. Both broke a 2-2 tie, and put us ahead to stay. The first one helped end a five game losing streak. The second one came after Tillman had (once again) lost the lead. Both felt to me like they completely changed the momentum of the game. And, thankfully, the bullpen shut the door both times.

Adam is the straw that stirs the drink on this team. When he's hitting, the whole team seems energized.

No doubt about it, he is the leader of this team and those were two huge HR's to win back to back games. But he cannot do it alone, he needs help. I hope MW will be a stabilizer for this offense going forward.

He is one of my favorite Orioles of all time. He is magnificent.

No doubt about it, he is the leader of this team and those were two huge HR's to win back to back games. But he cannot do it alone, he needs help. I hope MW will be a stabilizer for this offense going forward.

If Manny Machado continues to find his stride, and JJ Hardy gets going. We are going to be very difficult to stop.

He is one of my favorite Orioles of all time. He is magnificent.

It took me a little time to warm up to him. When he was younger he seemed a little brash and full of himself, a bit too casual on defense, he had trouble getting a lead at 1B, and of course, the strike outs on terrible breaking pitches drove me nuts. I think Buck and Wayne Kirby have helped Adam to go from a good but flawed player to a truly outstanding one. His strengths are stronger, his habits are better, and he brings it with intensity every day. Yeah, he'll still swing at some bad pitches, but I can live with it considering the leadership and great play he brings to the table.

It took me a little time to warm up to him. When he was younger he seemed a little brash and full of himself, a bit too casual on defense, he had trouble getting a lead at 1B, and of course, the strike outs on terrible breaking pitches drove me nuts. I think Buck and Wayne Kirby have helped Adam to go from a good but flawed player to a truly outstanding one. His strengths are stronger, his habits are better, and he brings it with intensity every day. Yeah, he'll still swing at some bad pitches, but I can live with it considering the leadership and great play he brings to the table.

In all though...he has grown up ours and has really defined what a good player is in the new post PED era of baseball. The folks he grew up playing against are all brash. And all arrogant, and all probably had better physical skills and more effort put behind their success. I believe he really is the Face of MLB today.

Also got a GREAT jump on that ball hit over his head. Saved a run at least to go with the homer and triple.

Yes he did. And he got there and waited for it, instead of trying to cruise back and catch it on the gallop like he used to do. That's part of what I mean by having better habits. He also lines up his throws from the OF much better than he used to. I think Wayne Kirby gets a lot of credit here, and for helping learn how to get a good lead off 1B (now he needs to go work on David Lough).

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=34432957&topic_id=7997010&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

What's Cooking?

o

It took me a little time to warm up to him. When he was younger he seemed a little brash and full of himself,

This is what immediately attracted me to him.

A Reggie Jackson-like, Muhammad Ali-like player coming to our losing franchise and not being the slightest bit shy about his own abilities and/or about his desire to stop being doormats to the Yankees, the Red Sox, and almost everybody else in the American League.

a bit too casual on defense ......

I'll never forget the fact that Melvin Mora always used to tell Adam Jones, "Adam, use TWO HANDS to catch the ball when you have plenty of time to camp under it. One of these days you are going to drop an easy fly ball, and it's going to be at the worst time."

In Jones' second season with the team (2009), just that happened. With two outs and a runner on 2nd base, Adam did his typical, nonchalant approach to a an easy fly ball, and he dropped it. The run scored. When Adam went back to the dugout, he wanted to be nowhere near Mora. Mora didn't say a word to Jones. He just went up to him, looked at him with serious eyes, and walked away. Both Jones and Mora knew what that meant. Fortunately, the Orioles wound up winning that game.

Archived