Its time to promote Chris Parmelee (Activated, Chen to Frederick)

wildcard

Let's just concentrate on Parmelee for a second. You can release/trade either Snider or Lough. Probably Lough.

Releasing Lough would mean no reasonable substitute for Jones. Optioning Navarro would mean too many outfielders again. Whether you want to bring up Parmelee, Reimold, or Alvarez, they will have to wait until either Snider, Pearce, Young, or Paredes is traded or DFA.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Despite missing 2 games recently, Jones will be playing CF everyday and every inning for the rest of the season. Julio Borbon is a call away. Again, Lough is a luxury. You can't have everything. I'll choose a possible spark for the offense over the pinch runner, late inning defensive replacement, and emergency CF. It could backfire but I'd take the risk, again knowing that Borbon can perform the same role if we need to revisit it.

I also would consider keeping Lough and dumping Snider. We are waiting for a hot second half that may never come. I have a lot more faith in Steve Pearce doming around than Travis Snider coming around.

Snider is not hitting for power, but is getting on base, I think they should be playing him more. I actually would be fine with leaving Parmalee down for now if they would play Snider and Pearce everyday in the corners and see if they can get going.

Sounds like you think Parmelee is good enough to possibly start for this team next season but not good enough to provide better production than Travis Snyder is right now? That sounds like a contradiction to me.

I think he replaces Chris Davis. Or Steve Pearce. Yes.

Not Travis Snider. Who we also have for next season.

Okay. Then move Davis to RF, put Parmelee at 1B, Pearce/Snyder to LF as a strict platoon until or if one heats up, Paredes/Young at DH. Bye, bye Lough. A luxury we can't afford right now.

I respect your opinion. Maybe I just don't think Chris Parmelee is a big upgrade. Not big enough to lose any of those players. Other than Brian Matusz.

So, he's good enough to start next season but you don't think he can help our anemic offense right now. Right?

Right. I believe that he is in the mix to replace Davis or Pearce. I believe the lack of flexibility of this team (especially with Wieters getting DH at bats) dooms the approach of adding much by adding him.

The boost the O's offense would get from Wieters and Parmelee might be enough to help.

I think Lough becomes more valuable to the team if Davis switches to right field. I late inning defensive guy like Lough can help nail down wins.

Navarro does very little for this team. Pearce can help in the infield and also hit against lefties in left field.

Snider in left vs righties with that 348 OBP make sense to me. He can bat 2nd in the order.

The boost the O's offense would get from Wieters and Parmelee might be enough to help.

I think Lough becomes more valuable to the team if Davis switches to right field. I late inning defensive guy like Lough can help nail down wins.

Navarro does very little for this team. Pearce can help in the infield and also hit against lefties in left field.

Snider in left vs righties with that 348 OBP make sense to me. He can bat 2nd in the order.

I could live with this, with Delmon and Jimmy P platooning at DH.

That would be the patient strategy that the Orioles will probably employ. It might even be the right strategy. I think I said the same thing recently about playing both and hoping that one or both start hitting. However, I'm getting impatient right now and I don't know if I can stand the patient strategy.

I would agree if I thought Travis Snider was actually getting a fair shake....he has a .263 BA and .341 OBP, that is not bad at all, but here are his game logs for the last ten games:

5/28 - 2-5

5/29 - 2-4

5/30 - 0-4

5/31 - Bench, 0-1 PH

6/01 - Bench

6/02 - 1-3, BB

6/03 - Bench

6/04 - 0-4

6/05 - 2-4

6/06 - Bench

He isn't being given a good opportunity. Leave him out there 10-12 straight games and see what he has. He is giving you a .341 OBP.

Great thread but been saying this for a while now. Problem is Davis needs to play some RF or Young/Snider/Jimmy P have to go.

Parmalee can't play OF.

You know my love of Lough, but cutting Lough for Parmalee makes no sense. Not the same pieces.

They need to trade Snider/Young or Jimmy P until we see Chris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all due respect, BFD! He has hit with no power. This isn't Billy Hamilton who might steel you 2B and score from 1st on a long single. A .341 OBP is nice but it's not great by any means. This team was built on power the last 3 years. It was a flawed offense but it scored. Snider's numbers are abysmal. He has the 8th most plate appearances on the team, 1 homer, 10 RBI, and 12 runs scored. 12 runs scored. Those walks aren't coming around to score. Steve Pearce has a .270 OBP but he has 18 runs scored and 20 RBI, thanks to the 6 home runs he's hit. Give me the home runs. Keep the walks.

He's given us what Nick would have, at a fraction of the cost. He's one of the few guys getting on base now. Give him a chance.

Just saw this on MLBTR....

"Chris Parmelee is thought to have a June 15 opt-out date in his minor league deal with the Orioles, FOX Sports? Ken Rosenthal reports (via Twitter). Parmelee, owner of a .709 OPS over 901 PA with the Twins from 2011-14, took a .319/.388/.454 slash line over 260 Triple-A plate appearances into today?s action. If the Orioles don?t promote Parmelee and he opts for free agency, Rosenthal lists the Rays as a team that could be interested the first baseman/outfielder?s services."

Is Rosenthal wrong again? I think it's time to cut bait with Snider, his 1 HR, and his .653 OPS. I would not have a problem with a straight Parmelee/Young platoon. The O's can bring Lough in as a defensive replacement late in games. I'd hate to lose Parmelee. He could be a reasonable fallback option for 1st base next year. We were all hoping that Snider could be like Steve Pearce. Unfortunately he's like 2015 version. Parmelee has good road splits in his career away from his time in Minnesota.

If DD could find a trading partner for De Aza, I would imagine he could pull something off with Snider. Younger, cheaper, and has a 2016 year of control if need be. Here's a walk off HR off Andrew Miller last year from Parmelee. 1/3 of Homers Miller gave up all of last year.

Archived