2015 1st A (36) - Ryan Mountcastle - SS - Hagerty HS (FL)

No -- the profile is a third round profile for me (generally) because there isn't much value in the glove or legs. So it's all bat, and the performance has been erratic. I like Mountcastle; he isn't my favorite as a sandwich round pick. But you grab the guys you like and no team is worried about where a website has their players ranked.

That's why guys still like Josh Hart a bit. Right? If he can hit just a little he could have value.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's why guys still like Josh Hart a bit. Right? If he can hit just a little he could have value.

Right; Mountcastle is potential middle-of-the-order bat. There is just a lot of pressure on that bat developing because he isn't likely to provide value otherwise.

Right; Mountcastle is potential middle-of-the-order bat. There is just a lot of pressure on that bat developing because he isn't likely to provide value otherwise.

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts as always!

Are the O's drafting for need? Would we have spent both our first round picks on pure hitters if our MLB and upper-minors bats were performing better this year?

"Hitter" as a description for a need-based drafting profile seems overly broad to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some day we're going to need a SS who can play SS. I used to think of Manny as a prime candidate for that role, but no longer.

So does just about every team in the majors. Not exactly the deepest offensive position in the world.

OK, everybody seems to have already decided that a 6' 4" power hitter can't play short. We had a guy about that size some 30 years ago that everyone said didn't have the ability to stay at short, everyone but Earl that is. How do the statements on Montgomery's abilities coming out of high school compare to statements about Ripken's at the same time?

Not that I have already decided they are equal, I don't know at all, but we seem to have a lot of judgments already made.

OK, everybody seems to have already decided that a 6' 4" power hitter can't play short. We had a guy about that size some 30 years ago that everyone said didn't have the ability to stay at short, everyone but Earl that is. How do the statements on Montgomery's abilities coming out of high school compare to statements about Ripken's at the same time?

Not that I have already decided they are equal, I don't know at all, but we seem to have a lot of judgments already made.

Ripken was more about teams not viewing guys that size as shortstops. Mountcastle is lack of lateral quickness and hands/feet that can get clunky. Ripken was a fantastic overall athlete.

Archived