2015 1st A (36) - Ryan Mountcastle - SS - Hagerty HS (FL)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> have agreed to terms with their 2nd 1st round pick (36 overall) SS Ryan Mountcastle from Hagerty High School in FLA.</p>— Brett Hollander (@BrettHollander) <a href="

">June 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very good to hear. I wonder what it took....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

No kidding. Interested to see if any $ was freed up here for elsewhere (if there was any strategy for the order in which guys are signed and for how much) or if guys are going to sign for slot.

No kidding. Interested to see if any $ was freed up here for elsewhere (if there was any strategy for the order in which guys are signed and for how much) or if guys are going to sign for slot.

Every penny of overage will be spent on Gray Fenter. Every Penny.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Orioles expected to announce several draft signings 2day including second pick Ryan Mountcastle (no. 36 overall), assuming phsyicals go well</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">June 16, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">1st-rder Ryan Mountcastle, <a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a> agree on $1.3 mil (pick 37 = $1,711,900). Florida HS SS, future 3B, bat speed, strong arm. <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBDraft">@MLBDraft</a></p>— Jim Callis (@jimcallisMLB) <a href="

">June 16, 2015</a></blockquote>

So a hair over 400K saved.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">1st-rder Ryan Mountcastle, <a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a> agree on $1.3 mil (pick 37 = $1,711,900). Florida HS SS, future 3B, bat speed, strong arm. <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBDraft">@MLBDraft</a></p>— Jim Callis (@jimcallisMLB) <a href="

So a hair over 400K saved.

Now, let's go get Gray Fenter signed with those savings.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">So the Os second pick, Ryan Mountcastle, who will speak at 530 pm to local media, is $400k under slot. Os will use that on others in top 10</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">So the Os second pick, Ryan Mountcastle, who will speak at 530 pm to local media, is $400k under slot. Os will use that on others in top 10</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

Great, looks like everything is going according to plan.

Mountcastle today talked about what the last few days have been like for him and why he signed with the Orioles, bypassing a chance to play in college.

"There are a lot of reasons," he said. "The money was lifechanging to forgo college and go pro. I just want to start my career a little bit earlier and try to make to the big leagues as fast as I can. This has been the greatest time of my life so far. I've just loved the experience here in Baltimore.

"Baltimore was one of the teams I thought may pick me. There were a bunch of other ones. I am just so happy to be an Oriole, and I would not (have) picked a better city than Baltimore."

Here is what Rajsich said about Mountcastle:

"Ryan is an advanced hitter. He has on-base and slugging ability," he said. "He has bat speed and will grind at-bats with pitch recognition and discipline at the plate. He likes to hit, he's aggressive, but he's also selective and patient and has a very good feel for situation hitting.

"You watch his approach in games - especially in showcases where we saw him against top competition - we saw him change his approach in the middle of an at-bat. Those are the things we notice. Defensively he has loose actions, sure hands and a good first step for the left side of the infield and an accurate arm. He's a heads-up baserunner and we look forward to watching him out here at Camden Yards."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/06/os-game-blog-mountcastle-signs-and-a-look-at-tonights-game.html

During last night's game, they showed a film clip of Mountcastle being introduced to the crowd before the game. The kid was grinning from ear to ear, and really soaking it in. I think he would have stood out there waving to the crowd for five minutes if they had let him. He was clearly having a blast.

Ripken was more about teams not viewing guys that size as shortstops. Mountcastle is lack of lateral quickness and hands/feet that can get clunky. Ripken was a fantastic overall athlete.
OK, everybody seems to have already decided that a 6' 4" power hitter can't play short. We had a guy about that size some 30 years ago that everyone said didn't have the ability to stay at short, everyone but Earl that is. How do the statements on Montgomery's abilities coming out of high school compare to statements about Ripken's at the same time?

Not that I have already decided they are equal, I don't know at all, but we seem to have a lot of judgments already made.

Kids 18 years old? Maybe 17? Regardless of current scouting reports, thats young enough that nothing is certain. I'd give him a shot at SS, see if pro coaches can work out his feet. As he grows into his body you never know how his athleticism may blossom. Maybe he gets some time in the GCL or Aberdeen right away before he gets moved forever to 3B.

Kids 18 years old? Maybe 17? Regardless of current scouting reports, thats young enough that nothing is certain. I'd give him a shot at SS, see if pro coaches can work out his feet. As he grows into his body you never know how his athleticism may blossom. Maybe he gets some time in the GCL or Aberdeen right away before he gets moved forever to 3B.

18y4m (turns 19 next February). I don't have any issue with your thoughts though usually you look for reason to believe there will be growth and reason to believe there will not be growth, and then decide. If the basis of your stance is just that he is a teenager and who knows what will happen, then that's fine if we are just going the "let's hope for the best!" approach, and why not right after the draft. Hope springs eternal...

18y4m (turns 19 next February). I don't have any issue with your thoughts though usually you look for reason to believe there will be growth and reason to believe there will not be growth, and then decide. If the basis of your stance is just that he is a teenager and who knows what will happen, then that's fine if we are just going the "let's hope for the best!" approach, and why not right after the draft. Hope springs eternal...

Why not right?

If he can figure out SS that maximizes his long term value. Moving him somewhere else now basically ensures he will never be a SS. The Orioles have a professional coaching staff for a reason: to teach players. Let them try.

What's the risk? You lose 3-6 months of defensive development time that could have been used elsewhere. Seems like a good trade off to me.

This would be my rule of thumb for any player under 20 years old. Give them a shot at there most valuable possible position, then move them around once it doesn't pan out.

Archived