2015 1st A (36) - Ryan Mountcastle - SS - Hagerty HS (FL)

That's a little odd to me too. Nothing I have read questions his bat; everything essentially says that he has an exceptionally quick bat that could produce a lot of power. He may not have a position yet, but everybody seems to think he will hit. I will gladly take that.

Second highest bat speed grade of all selected so far?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a little odd to me too. Nothing I have read questions his bat; everything essentially says that he has an exceptionally quick bat that could produce a lot of power. He may not have a position yet, but everybody seems to think he will hit. I will gladly take that.

They said he had a slow start this season when a lot of the attention was being paid.

He was in the top 20 or so preseason, so not really a total shocker. I have seen him a few times as he lives nearby. Definitely not a SS, but hands are ok and arm is very good. Has some uppercut, not quite a RH Chris Davis though. Has that special sound in BP. I would think he will be a methodical riser through the system.

He was in the top 20 or so preseason, so not really a total shocker. I have seen him a few times as he lives nearby. Definitely not a SS, but hands are ok and arm is very good. Has some uppercut, not quite a RH Chris Davis though. Has that special sound in BP. I would think he will be a methodical riser through the system.

Awesome...thanks for the info Jammer!

Agree with this. I think money savings has to be something of a factor here for a somewhat under the radar prospect to go this early.

He wasn't under the radar. Played in all big showcases, on one of the top 3 travel ball teams in country, and in both Perfect Game All-America Classic and Under Armour All-America Game.

Given what I'm reading about him as a hitter, I'm surprised that he's not ranked higher. He may not have the glove for SS, but that leaves plenty of room on the defensive spectrum. It's not like he's already a LF or 1B and struggling on defense.

He's going to get big -- that's primary concern. Hands aren't great; lacks lateral quickness.

He wasn't under the radar. Played in all big showcases, on one of the top 3 travel ball teams in country, and in both Perfect Game All-America Classic and Under Armour All-America Game.

I feel like you like this pick Stotle, or at least you are intrigued by him. :)

Do you feel like he was maybe a little underrated in some of the pre-draft rankings?

Do you feel like he was maybe a little underrated in some of the pre-draft rankings?

No -- the profile is a third round profile for me (generally) because there isn't much value in the glove or legs. So it's all bat, and the performance has been erratic. I like Mountcastle; he isn't my favorite as a sandwich round pick. But you grab the guys you like and no team is worried about where a website has their players ranked.

When they are big and young with bat speed the could end up anyone. Just not a four tool. But neither was Flaherty.

No -- the profile is a third round profile for me (generally) because there isn't much value in the glove or legs. So it's all bat, and the performance has been erratic. I like Mountcastle; he isn't my favorite as a sandwich round pick. But you grab the guys you like and no team is worried about where a website has their players ranked.

Sounds good. Thanks as always for the info!

Archived