Who were you wrong about?

JohnD

All of us, especially if we've been around for decades watching this team, have geeked out for and fallen in love with countless players. Sometimes it's obvious they're going to be stars. I'll happily admit I was on the Adam Jones bandwagon the day they got him, for instance. Other times, we're a little less right about someone. That's what this thread is for.

Who were you convinced would be, maybe not even a star, but just a good player? Someone who would contribute and help the team win games? Only, they didn't do any of that, and ultimately, you missed. It could be a guy who saw the big leagues but never stuck, or someone who never got past Bowie or Frederick.

I thought Curtis Goodwin was going to be a good player, but I thought Alex Ochoa was going to be a star. He, uh, wasn't. I also kept waiting for Harry Barrios to be legit. He was, at least in the Carolina League.

You?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too many to count. There was a guy named Pete Stanicek who looked like the answer at 2B but always ended up hurt. I had very high hopes for Hayden Penn. And yes, Matusz belongs on that list. He's an OK reliever but I had expected him to be a no. 2 starter at worst.

Too many to count. There was a guy named Pete Stanicek who looked like the answer at 2B but always ended up hurt. I had very high hopes for Hayden Penn. And yes, Matusz belongs on that list. He's an OK reliever but I had expected him to be a no. 2 starter at worst.

Me too with Matusz. He has really disappointed me in many ways.

Wally Bunker, who unfortunately suffered serial arm injuries. If an rookie today matched his '64 season, the hype would be endless. Also expected Curt Blefary and Craig Worthington to do more after they won ROY.

Archived