This is A Mess (Mega RANT Thread)

eddie83

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't view 15 Scott Feldman starts as much more than "nothing", so it's not as black and white for me. Duquette also included Strop on top of it. Careful -- the more you have me thinking about this the more I'm starting to think it was a Duquette mistake as opposed to botched development Duquette tried to salvage...

You can't be serious about Strop. He was out of options, had just come of a mystery DL stint, was being booed at home and had an ERA of around 7. There was no place to hide Strop and I liked him.

Now, THAT was a bad plan. The Red Sox, Padres, and Mariners all had bad plans. They were demonstrably bad at the time they were done and they committed the team to large resource outlays that couldn't be mitigated easily if they went bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think CHerrington's biggest botch was that he didn't pick his guy and ride him. One of Sandoval/HanRam made sense, certainly not both. He should have moved Victorino and ridden Castillo (who I believe is going to make some posters here look very silly for mocking that signing). I think he was just in over his head at the MLB level. The minor league stuff (which he knew already) and amateur acquisition front continues to be very impressive. But he lacked a specific vision at the ML level and the construction of the 25-man suffered big time as a result.

Apart from Game 1, this home series reminds me a lot of the ALCS.

Three straight close losses to a team that did the little things right, while the O's did not.

Looks like the 2014 ALCS was a bit of a premonition for this year.

It was very much like the KC series. This is the most infuriating team we've had in a long time. Nothing close to a winner's mentality.

It is funny because I think I'm classified as one of the blind defenders yet I advocated trading Norris last offseason, didn't want to tender Hunter or De Aza, and advocated matching the Cruz contract. I wish someone could explain why people insist on shoving gray things into black and white boxes.

I'm not really sure who the teams are. Which one am I on?

I was never a Feldman fan, but he does fill a role. Strop had been worse than Arrieta. I had been getting WAXED on here for defending him and even I got tired of it. Remember that we also got Clevenger. It was a fair trade at the time. Feldman was certainly more helpful than Arrieta and Strop in 2013 so it was really 2013 marginal help vs the chance that Arrieta / Strop could help in the future. With no more options and his diminishing results, that chance could easily be seen to approach zero (in OPACY).

I don't mind disagreeing.

I don't view 15 Scott Feldman starts as much more than "nothing", so it's not as black and white for me. Duquette also included Strop on top of it. Careful -- the more you have me thinking about this the more I'm starting to think it was a Duquette mistake as opposed to botched development Duquette tried to salvage...

Strop was about to be DFAed any day at the time though.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Sigh, he had an option in 2013. We had already exercised it when he was pitching for us (poorly) in the minors. Options last a full year which I'm sure you knew. He was OUT OF OPTIONS in 2014 which has been my point all along. He was gone via DFA if he wasn't going to make the 25 man in 2014 so the only point in hiding him in the minors for the rest of 2013 was if you thought he could make it in 2014 on the 25 man.

No he could have been in the minors in 2014, I am 99% sure.

Sigh, he had an option in 2013. We had already exercised it when he was pitching for us (poorly) in the minors. Options last a full year which I'm sure you knew. He was OUT OF OPTIONS in 2014 which has been my point all along. He was gone via DFA if he wasn't going to make the 25 man in 2014 so the only point in hiding him in the minors for the rest of 2013 was if you thought he could make it in 2014 on the 25 man.

I expect Duquette will try and find a way not to DFA Bundy next year. It's not crazy to think Baltimore could have tried to do something else. Water under the bridge, and I don't see the point in revisiting unless it is to discuss development. GMs have to make these decisions all the time. sometimes they don't work out.

I expect Duquette will try and find a way not to DFA Bundy next year. It's not crazy to think Baltimore could have tried to do something else. Water under the bridge, and I don't see the point in revisiting unless it is to discuss development. GMs have to make these decisions all the time. sometimes they don't work out.

Don't you think they either make him be the long man in the pen or he is on the DL? The rest of the pen should be more flexible next year in terms of options.

Archived