Wild Idea: Offer O'Day the QO

Aristotelian

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There have been exactly 0 middle relievers turn down a QO.

Yeah... I don't think we need to worry about this. That amount for 2 seasons would be an overpay. The chances of DD offering a middle reliever the QO are pretty much nonexistent.

There have been exactly 0 middle relievers turn down a QO.

But there have been exactly 0 players at any position to accept one. Why? Because there is so much risk in baseball and you take guaranteed money whenever you have the chance.

I wonder if Boston would have given Miller a QO, and what would have happened in they did. (If they said, "If we trade him, we lose the draft pick," that would explain why we had to go up to Eduardo in order to get him.) I think Miller still would have gone to the Yankees for $36M. And now Miller's injury is case in point why O'Day should sign a long term deal even if he is offered the $17M. What do you think Miller would be offered right now if he had to go on the market?

This.

Very interesting thought process from Aristotelian, but I couldn't take the risk.

I'd think about it. There is almost no such thing as a crippling one-year contract. 1/17 for a guy who's pitched great for the last four years isn't terrible, there are certainly a ton of worse contracts and it's over in a year. If he turns it down you get a pick valued at multiple $millions. And it could be a bargaining chip for a friendlier extension.

I'd think about it. There is almost no such thing as a crippling one-year contract. 1/17 for a guy who's pitched great for the last four years isn't terrible, there are certainly a ton of worse contracts and it's over in a year. If he turns it down you get a pick valued at multiple $millions. And it could be a bargaining chip for a friendlier extension.

I've been back and forth on this subject for a few weeks now.

Just dang glad its not me running the team, not sure I would sleep at night.

But there have been exactly 0 players at any position to accept one. Why? Because there is so much risk in baseball and you take guaranteed money whenever you have the chance.

In my personal opinion, at age 33 next season, O'Day is unlikely to get any four-year offers, unlike Miller and Robertson, who are 30 this season. I think he is looking at 3 years, $25 mm or so. If I were him, I'd take the 1/$17 mm over 3/$25 mm. But I'm not him, and I don't know what his agent would say.

In my personal opinion, at age 33 next season, O'Day is unlikely to get any four-year offers, unlike Miller and Robertson, who are 30 this season. I think he is looking at 3 years, $25 mm or so. If I were him, I'd take the 1/$17 mm over 3/$25 mm. But I'm not him, and I don't know what his agent would say.

Age doesn't work quite the same way with pitchers as it does with position players. Given the same contract I'd sign a 33-year-old with good K/BB numbers over a 27-year-old with somewhat poorer K/BB numbers any day.

Age doesn't work quite the same way with pitchers as it does with position players. Given the same contract I'd sign a 33-year-old with good K/BB numbers over a 27-year-old with somewhat poorer K/BB numbers any day.

Makes sense, especially with a reliever. But can you think of a 33-year old relyever who got a 4-year deal? Perhaps Rivera did.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this. Per Roch, O's "not making progress".

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/11/orioles-dont-appear-to-be-making-any-progress-with-oday.html

Now here is what I don't get. If we are not making progress, presumably that means he has signaled that he would turn down something in the 2/$16 to 3/$25 range. If he thinks he might get closer/elite setup money, doesn't that mean he would likely turn down a QO? Why not make the QO and get something back when he signs the inevitable 4/$30M with the Blue Jays or Tigers?

Bumping this. Per Roch, O's "not making progress".

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/11/orioles-dont-appear-to-be-making-any-progress-with-oday.html

Now here is what I don't get. If we are not making progress, presumably that means he has signaled that he would turn down something in the 2/$16 to 3/$25 range. If he thinks he might get closer/elite setup money, doesn't that mean he would likely turn down a QO? Why not make the QO and get something back when he signs the inevitable 4/$30M with the Blue Jays or Tigers?

I'd guess that their thought process is that a 1/16 offer kind of makes it hard to, in parallel, offer him 3/21 or 3/25.

Archived