vs. BRAVES, 7/29

OFFNY

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Baumann or a rotation of Tate, Baker, Vespi, Krook, Heasley, Ort, and Zimmerman?  That last roster spot in the pen might be too valuable to not rotate guys through for matchups/freshness. 
    • Mayteo. .977 OPS vs LHP this year. 0.5 WAR so far on Bbref. 
    • Yes, I have noticed this too.
    • 2 IP for Suarez. Was sitting 94 on his FB. Quick innings. Not the big velo jump we were hoping but has two really quick innings. This dude is just a pro. 
    • If you watch his starts, he always looks at his hands like that. I always thought it was just what he does or maybe he's prone to blisters or something 
    • Awesome research, thanks. I was a fan in 1974 but had forgotten that string of five shutouts.  This last two weeks of rotation excellence (and your list) is giving me flashbacks to the summer of love (1967), when I started to make game logs to savor the strings of shutouts and low-hit gems by Oriole starters. Looking back now at the game logs kept by Baseball-Reference (manually, without your sorting skills!), it's hard to identify exactly which streak so impressed my teenage fan-meter, or even which year. Certainly 1968 was all about low scoring league-wide.  Maybe it was the stretch 22-27 May 1967 featuring Phoebus, Bertaina, Barber, McNally, and Phoebus again (good old 4-man rotation!), including three scoreless outings. Or Hardin and Brabender joining Phoebus, McNally and Palmer from 15 to 20 September, 1967. What about 1969, with Cuellar, Lopez and Leonhard joining the previous cast of McNally, Phoebus, and Hardin, twirling 10 starts (13-22 June) while allowing only 12 runs.  Anyway, it feels rather historic to see this run of high-end pitching from an Orioles rotation. Here's a chart to recap the numbers on this streak in progress... Date Starter IP H ER ERA (14 G) totals: 81.67 59 19 2.09 21-Apr Irvin 6.2 4 0   22-Apr Suarez 5.2 4 0   23-Apr Rodriguez 4.1 11 7   24-Apr Kremer 5.1 3 2   26-Apr Burnes 6 3 1   27-Apr Irvin 7 4 0   28-Apr Suarez 4 7 4   29-Apr Rodriguez 5.2 5 0   30-Apr Kremer 7 4 2   1-May Burnes 6 4 2   2-May Bradish 4.2 4 1   3-May Irvin 6.1 2 0   4-May Means 7 3 0   5-May Kremer 6 1 0  
    • Somehow feels typical of Orioles to play up to the competition, and get burned by the pretenders... same with individual starting pitchers. 
  • Popular Contributors