Parra to the Orioles (Done Deal)

TonySoprano

Who Would You Trade For?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Trade For?

• Gerardo Parra - 2 month rental
    • Ben Revere
    • Someone Else (Please name them in the comments)
    • Nobody. Not much worth it on the market.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A slap hitter with speed at the top of the order is exactly what the Orioles need and I expect them to try to resign him. Like I said, this is a move that should have been made last offseason but hopefully it will still help the team.

If we get Revere too, does it double our chances?

Just messing with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we get Revere too, does it double our chances?

Just messing with you.

Id love Revere at the top of the order- straight up fast- but mainly a singles hitter. But if he can turn those in doubles and triples by stealing that is what this order needs. Someone who can move himself over because we all know the hitters cant do that.

Revere LF

Machado 3B

Jones CF

Davis 1B

Paredes/Pearce DH

Wieters C

Parra RF

Hardy SS

Schoop 2b

I like the looks of that lineup. But we would still need pitching help.

Id love Revere at the top of the order- straight up fast- but mainly a singles hitter. But if he can turn those in doubles and triples by stealing that is what this order needs. Someone who can move himself over because we all know the hitters cant do that.

Revere LF

Machado 3B

Jones CF

Davis 1B

Paredes/Pearce DH

Wieters C

Parra RF

Hardy SS

Schoop 2b

Why not put the .370 OBP at one or two and slide everyone else down a spot?

Revere LF

Machado 3B

Jones CF

Davis 1B

Paredes/Pearce DH

Wieters C

Parra RF

Hardy SS

Schoop 2b

Singles hitter, sounds like Markakis.

Everybody loves OPS and at the same time.

Something to be said for singles and getting on base, and letting others bring you around.

Singles hitter, sounds like Markakis.

Everybody loves OPS and at the same time.

Something to be said for singles and getting on base, and letting others bring you around.

Well the thing about Revere is that he's a good base stealer, he's prolific and he passes the 75% success rate test. That means a lot of singles turn into "doubles". He is also a prolific triples hitter (in that 7/162 is prolific these days), though that would likely diminish in Camden Yards. I'm all for trading for Revere, and not Cespedes if Detroit is hell bent on getting Gausman.

Well the thing about Revere is that he's a good base stealer, he's prolific and he passes the 75% success rate test. That means a lot of singles turn into "doubles". He is also a prolific triples hitter, though that would likely diminish in Camden Yards. I'm all for trading for Revere, and not Cespedes if Detroit is hell bent on getting Gausman.

I like that Revere isn't a two month rental and would be an upgrade over the current CoF situation.

Cespedes brings more to the table, but at what cost, and I honestly dont see DD giving up Gausman for a two month rental.

@Orioles: Additionally, the Orioles have designated RHP Bud Norris for assignment.

And Orioles Hangout explodes in jubilation.

But in all seriousness, if Bud signs somewhere and starts pitching like a difference maker, I personally don't want to hear one peep about it saying we should have waited a little longer, where was that for the Orioles and all the rest of it.

Why not put the .370 OBP at one or two and slide everyone else down a spot?

I see your point but Machado struggled in the 3 hole. Plus I personally like someone down in the order who can get on base. BUt we will see if we even get Revere...

Apparently the O's are still talking to the Phillies about Revere. Depends on what we'd have to give up, I guess, but I'm not enthusiastic. Revere is signed beyond this season but he's mediocre; I'd hope the O's could find someone better in the offseason anyway. I was never a Juan Pierre fan, and to me Revere is the second coming of Juan Pierre.

Apparently the O's are still talking to the Phillies about Revere. Depends on what we'd have to give up, I guess, but I'm not enthusiastic. Revere is signed beyond this season but he's mediocre; I'd hope the O's could find someone better in the offseason anyway. I was never a Juan Pierre fan, and to me Revere is the second coming of Juan Pierre.

He's a career .292 hitter and steals bases at an 80% clip. The Os dont have anyone who steals like that. If the cost isnt that high (which it seems it is) Id be all for it. Especially if we are truly in it to win it this year and next year is a retooling of sorts for 2017. Use Revere for this season, maybe try and extend him, and if you cant, trade him in the offseason.

The issue I have is that, you can't have a roster completely comprised of FA. While not necessarily an impact player, Davies is the type of talent that you hope to slot into the #4 or #5 slot for the league minimum, freeing up payroll to spend elsewhere.

The line this FO is walking is not impossible to do, but right now it hinges entirely on:

1. Machado/Schoop/Jones/Gausman being an impactful offensive core that remains healthy

2. Ability of the FO to find FA at a reasonable enough price to build a competitive team around that core.

3. Ability of the FO to fill holes as the support staff graduates and needs to be replaced

That's what has to happen for the next three years. The more expensive Machado/Schoop/Gausman get the less money there is to try and supplement the core. And because the farm system has been constantly pulled from for trades, Baltimore has not leveraged its international pools, and Baltimore has not been able to fully leverage the draft, the system can't be depended upon to provide useful options (though you hope pieces like Givens/Wright/etc. will at least help fill some bullpen slots).

I remain uncertain enough that I can't definitively say "this is going to end badly", but it's tough for me to envision this as a sustainable approach. That said, 2016 is a ways off and Baltimore has a chance to do some restructuring this offseason (hopefully).

Always enjoy your posts. I think DD feels that Wilson or Wright can become that cheap 4/5 guy, and the other can give you two bullpen spots for "free". Chaz Roe is doing well for us at low cost, and hopefully Givens gives us another low cost bullpen arm. If we can save in the pen, we can spend elsewhere.

I'm not too concerned about our FA other than Davis and Chen - replacing them will be difficult, and I'm hoping we can sign one of them. If we can, 2016 becomes reasonably manageable.

The issue I have is that, you can't have a roster completely comprised of FA. While not necessarily an impact player, Davies is the type of talent that you hope to slot into the #4 or #5 slot for the league minimum, freeing up payroll to spend elsewhere.

The line this FO is walking is not impossible to do, but right now it hinges entirely on:

1. Machado/Schoop/Jones/Gausman being an impactful offensive core that remains healthy

2. Ability of the FO to find FA at a reasonable enough price to build a competitive team around that core.

3. Ability of the FO to fill holes as the support staff graduates and needs to be replaced

That's what has to happen for the next three years. The more expensive Machado/Schoop/Gausman get the less money there is to try and supplement the core. And because the farm system has been constantly pulled from for trades, Baltimore has not leveraged its international pools, and Baltimore has not been able to fully leverage the draft, the system can't be depended upon to provide useful options (though you hope pieces like Givens/Wright/etc. will at least help fill some bullpen slots).

I remain uncertain enough that I can't definitively say "this is going to end badly", but it's tough for me to envision this as a sustainable approach. That said, 2016 is a ways off and Baltimore has a chance to do some restructuring this offseason (hopefully).

This is exactly where I'm at with the organization right now.

Archived