Parra to the Orioles (Done Deal)

TonySoprano

Who Would You Trade For?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Trade For?

• Gerardo Parra - 2 month rental
    • Ben Revere
    • Someone Else (Please name them in the comments)
    • Nobody. Not much worth it on the market.

We could give Parra the contract that we wouldn't justify giving to Markakis. Parra is 3 years younger than Nick.
But he has a much shakier offensive track record.

If the guys in the know think his advancements this year are sustainable then sure.

We could be giving 2014 Steve Pearce a big payday.

Parra is having his best offensive season, maybe 25 runs better than last year. But his defensive numbers are all wacky - by UZR he's more than 40 runs worse with the glove this year than two seasons ago. So all in all he's not anywhere near as valuable as he was in '13. You could argue that Parra should be a cheap sign - he's been worth about a win (one, just one) since the start of the '14 season.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Parra is having his best offensive season, maybe 25 runs better than last year. But his defensive numbers are all wacky - by UZR he's more than 40 runs worse with the glove this year than two seasons ago. So all in all he's not anywhere near as valuable as he was in '13. You could argue that Parra should be a cheap sign - he's been worth about a win (one, just one) since the start of the '14 season.

You think he can be signed to a 1 win/yr contract?

You think he can be signed to a 1 win/yr contract?

No, but I do think he's a high-risk contract. His numbers are all over the place. If he were to combine his defensive metrics from '15 with his offensive metrics from '14 he'd be tragically awful. But if his defensive numbers from this year are some kind of aberration and his offensive spike has staying power (I'm sure this is his agent's narrative) he could be very valuable. I don't see him as being much safer than Markakis on a similar contract.

No, but I do think he's a high-risk contract. His numbers are all over the place. If he were to combine his defensive metrics from '15 with his offensive metrics from '14 he'd be tragically awful. But if his defensive numbers from this year are some kind of aberration and his offensive spike has staying power (I'm sure this is his agent's narrative) he could be very valuable. I don't see him as being much safer than Markakis on a similar contract.

No way i would want Parra for 4 years at 44 million or anything close.

Davies is a scrap type pitcher...he'll be no better than a 5th starter / long man. Stop overreacting. Parra is not lighting things up ..... But thus will likely go down as a forgettable deal.

Please remember you said this. I think I'm going to start tracking the amount of people who have said this. Davies will end up the best player Duquette traded to this date, including E-Rod. Mark my words.

Please remember you said this. I think I'm going to start tracking the amount of people who have said this. Davies will end up the best player Duquette traded to this date, including E-Rod. Mark my words.

That's a strong statement. Looking forward to the updates.

That's interesting. I hadn't heard anyone say that Davies was a strong candidate for anything more than the back end of the rotation. Although I'll admit I'm not someone who's been closely following the prospect lists. Now I'll have to go look at your scouting reports...

I really like Davies, but DD did him a huge favor by trading him to the NL Central.

o

Tony's tidbits on Zach Davies:

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 19th

Bullpen: ooo TONY: In late inning situations, late inning situations, who do I see as a 3rd big gun in addition to Britton, O'Day ??? Brad Brach was starting to look like a shutdown reliever for a good portion of last season. He wasn't Andrew Miller, but then again, Andrew Miller wasn't Andrew Miller last year.

Also, the bullpen goes back goes back to the rotation. If they take one guy out of our current (6-starter) rotation, I think that you take Gausman out, and make him this year's Andrew Miller. I know that I'll get a lot of flak for that because so many Oriole fans are very high on Gausman as a starter, but he has always dominated in that short-relief situation. He can become that 3rd shutdown reliever (or even the 4th shutdown reliever if Brach continues to pitch as well as he has been) IF they need him to do so. If everyone else (the other 5 starters) is pitching well, then Gausman could become a great addition to that bullpen.

Mike Wright was lights out at AAA for the final month of the season after a VERY TOUGH season in the first 4 months. I think he will probably a reliever in the majors, although being a 5th starter if the Orioles ever needed him there is also a possibility.

Tyler Wilson should be a guy that will pick up some innings in long relief.

Zach Davies, pitches way ahead of his age (last year, he was a 21 year-old pitching well at AA-Bowie.) I think he'll be a factor for the Orioles at some point this year.

http://orioleshangout.com/article/4978/tony-pente-from-1057-thefan-today

SUNDAY, APRIL 19th

PRESS BOX:O Because of time constraints, we didn't get to talk about one of your favorites ...... Zach Davies. We'll do that later in the summer.

TONY:O Great.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/147505-PressBoxOnline-Tony-Pente-Scouting-Report

Archived