Davis is 2015 version of Mussina

brooksfrankjim

Who says they will? Not spending 120 million dollars on Davis is not the same thing as not making any acquisitions. I don't believe the team falls apart next year without wildly overpaying Davis. They were pretty good last year while Davis was sucking and/or not present if I recall.

Sometimes you can get lucky and win with chewing gum and duct tape solutions. But if you spend $100M on a player he's guaranteed to be good.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Plausibly, yes. Trivially, no. And it's far from guaranteed that Davis will provide 12-15 WAR over the next 4-5 years. His entire career in his 20s, presumably his peak seasons, has been worth 13 wins.
Nothing is guaranteed in baseball but I'd be surprised if he isn't worth 12 WAR the next 4 years. If I needed a power bat I'd be willing to take that bet as I am sure quite a few GM's would too.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I defended Duke about last offseason, but another offseason of letting proven guys go and replacing them with the Travis Snider's of the world is not going to sit well with me, and I'm sure ticket sales will be hit hard.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I defended Duke about last offseason, but another offseason of letting proven guys go and replacing them with the Travis Snider's of the world is not going to sit well with me, and I'm sure ticket sales will be hit hard.

It was one thing to do that when the payroll went up, and Cruz and Markakis had very high risk profiles. It's another thing altogether when letting all the free agents go without comparable replacements would lead to a $60M payroll following a $110M one this year. I don't expect all the free agents to leave and no large acquisitions to replace them. I expect some kind of reasonable plan ahead.

If Jones sounds off to the media about keeping Davis, you can bet that it will have the opposite effect. No owner is going to let the players push around the organization. If Jones wants to have any influence, he should be trying to convince Davis to stay with a winning team by taking a team-friendly deal.

You think there's a chance they win a 9 figure bidding war for him?

I think its highly unlikely. But others may think its a real possibility. So perhaps our viewpoint should not be the end all be all of the discussion?

Also, will it necessarily end in a bidding war?

Does Davis like it here enough to perhaps accept a (relatively) reasonable long-term deal from the Orioles at perhaps $1 or $2 Million less per year than what the highest bidder(s) would likely offer him?

Does Davis like it here enough to perhaps accept a (relatively) reasonable long-term deal from the Orioles at perhaps $1 or $2 Million less per year than what the highest bidder(s) would likely offer him?

With Boras as his agent, there is ZERO chance of that happening, sorry, but thats the way the ball bounces.

You think there's a chance they win a 9 figure bidding war for him?

I think its highly unlikely. But others may think its a real possibility. So perhaps our viewpoint should not be the end all be all of the discussion?

With Boras as his agent, there is ZERO chance of that happening, sorry, but that's the way the ball bounces.

It's rare, but once in a while, a player will assert himself with Boras.

The 2 examples that I can think of off the top of my head are Jeremy Guthrie (who fired Boras back in 2008) and Alex Rodriguez (who told Boras to pipe down after Boras made public statements during the 2007 World Series between the Red Sox and the Rockies that Rodriguez was "underpaid and under-appreciated" by the Yankees in an effort to put pressure on them to give him a raise and an extension, rather than just finishing out the 10-year contract that he had originally signed with the Rangers prior to the 2001 season.)

It was one thing to do that when the payroll went up, and Cruz and Markakis had very high risk profiles. It's another thing altogether when letting all the free agents go without comparable replacements would lead to a $60M payroll following a $110M one this year. I don't expect all the free agents to leave and no large acquisitions to replace them. I expect some kind of reasonable plan ahead.

This is my take as well. With the guys under contract and the arbitration guys increase I would think we are in the 7o million range. I can't see them going out and adding jst filer guys. DD will have 40 to 50 milllion to use how he uses it will be intersting wil he give O'day and Davis 20 million of that and use the other 20 million on guys to fill the rest.

Davis could be the 2017 version of Ryan Howard and his contract. Pass. Yeah keep mashing them taters but long-term, big pass. Or did everyone forget he batted a resounding .196 last year and was knocked once for "PEDs."

I haven't. Even batting .196 he carried a 96 OPS+ and an 0.8 oWAR. Ryan Howard is a fair comparison offensively but he's a worse defender than Davis.

I'm not saying Davis is a must re-sign. He could totally flop. The team has to invest somewhere -- international signings if need be -- and hit on something or I don't see them cracking .500 next season. In which case they may need to rebuild for a year.

Archived