Davis is 2015 version of Mussina

brooksfrankjim

I know I'm a broken record on this... but the teams needs to look at long term expense when it comes to Manny. MM will be more valuable and for a longer time than Davis. Start working in October to get Manny signed to an extention...then work on Davis or a replacement after you know when you have left to spend.

I agree with you 100%. DD is going to have a lot of flexibility to choose who to go after this offseason, but job # 1 is locking up Manny if we can. He's much more of a difference-maker than any other player on this team, and will be for the next decade, if we can keep him.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with you 100%. DD is going to have a lot of flexibility to choose who to go after this offseason, but job # 1 is locking up Manny if we can. He's much more of a difference-maker than any other player on this team, and will be for the next decade, if we can keep him.

I would go all in for Manny. Make all the other contracts in franchise history look silly. Give him 90% of Mike Trout's cash.

My fear is that we do this and then claim we have no money to build a team around him. Manny already shows some cockiness and "boredom" sometimes, I'm not so sure I'd like a disgruntled Manny if he was on a losing team.

Remember, Cal was a franchise player for his career in Baltimore, but played on only 3 playoff teams. How much fun was that for us?

In my opinion, even though I poo pooed Davis' comments last offseason, I am tending to agree with him now. We need to show Manny that the Front Office and Management is committed to long term success in Baltimore BEFORE Manny would sign a long term extension to stay.

My fear is that we do this and then claim we have no money to build a team around him. Manny already shows some cockiness and "boredom" sometimes, I'm not so sure I'd like a disgruntled Manny if he was on a losing team.

Remember, Cal was a franchise player for his career in Baltimore, but played on only 3 playoff teams. How much fun was that for us?

In my opinion, even though I poo pooed Davis' comments last offseason, I am tending to agree with him now. We need to show Manny that the Front Office and Management is committed to long term success in Baltimore BEFORE Manny would sign a long term extension to stay.

Manny is 23. I'm not going to gig him for sometimes appearing cocky and/or bored to an outside observer with essentially no first-hand knowledge of his personality. Heck, what are we? Mostly 40-year-old guys who're so bored at work that we spend all day posting our obviously-better-than-Duquette's solutions to all the Orioles problems online.

Archived